Alcohol & inhibition

Looking for advice. My wife recently stopped drinking due to doctors orders and her health. The problem is that she needed alcohol in order to have any intimacy at all. She cannot be intimate without it.

We have gone over 3 months now without since she is too inhibited. In the past she has gone to several counselors, even a hypnotist, but to no avail and now with our current healthcare plan (high deductible), we simply can't afford months of therapy and counseling. This is becoming a huge problem and I'm looking for any direction and guidance here. Thanks very much in advance.

She just stopped drinking so I would expect her sex life to drop as she reacquaints herself with the sober her.

At 3 months the fog is now lifting/lifted and she is understanding what drinking did to her and to her loved ones, her thoughts are now starting to be clear so she is starting new, fresh...

I'd give her some time and let her enjoy her sobriety and learn about her new self.. hopefully she will come around.

Hopefully it wasn't partner drinking that was the attraction.. I have seen that where once a partner sobers up they realize they have nothing in common with their SO and have to readjust life on that level.

• Like 1

For many years I was completely unable to have sex unless I was drunk. Except for that one time I had sex on LSD and the LSD replaced the alcohol.

My reasons: I had been raped when much younger and sex reminded me only of more sexual violence. Also, in my heart I was only wanting to have sex with guys I was simply crazy in love with but the reality of life was that most people had sex much more casually than that and I thought I had to do the same to seem "normal." So I'd have to get quite wasted before I could have sex.

Now I only have sex with people I'm absolutely crazy about. I'll often go on as many as 10 dates with a guy I quite like and not have sex with him because although I like him he is not blowing my mind. Typically such a guy will drop me because I've not banged him. And that is OK.

• Author

Could have been cousins very long ago.

Perhaps over time she will learn to start over without alcohol. It's like she has a switch in her brain. On / Off. Alcohol turns off the inhibitions and she has no interest at all unless she's drunk.

It's hard to be patient.

with our current healthcare plan (high deductible), we simply can't afford months of therapy and counseling. This is becoming a huge problem and I'm looking for any direction and guidance here. Thanks very much in advance.

How expensive is divorce?

I'd make counseling a priority, including pursuing lower cost options through colleges and/or social services...

Mr. Lucky

. The problem is that she needed alcohol in order to have any intimacy at all.

I'm sorry but to me this shows bigger problems. After marriage she still can't be intimate with you without booze.

This is not going to be a short term fix & for her it's about waaaaaayyyyy more then sex.

If you truly love your wife Keywest you are going to have be extremely patient & take a LOT of cold shower. This may take years for her to get through.