Feeling so depressed after Father's Day

newlywedder

I don't know what to do. I feel like I am always on the verge of crying. I am 6 months pregnant so I don't know if that is why. My husband and I are also having problems.

On Saturday, he was gone all day playing a boardgame with his friends so I was all by myself. I have spent all my time with him since becoming married so I no longer have any friends that want to spend time with me. I feel so alone and don't know what to do. I am very introverted so it has always been difficult to meet people.

For Father's Day on Sunday I thought it would be nice to make my husband breakfast in bed but he said "I don't want breakfast in bed!" when I gave him it. On Friday he had said he didn't want me to do anything special for him but I made too much breakfast for myself so thought I'd give him some too. I felt so bad.. I just left the room and quietly ate half myself and gave the rest to the dog. I had put his food by his bed but he did not eat it so I put it in the fridge. I then went downstairs and started crying. All my sadness came out about being alone and lonely the day before and about him being upset that I did something special for him. I can't help it because I am a very giving person and just wanted to make him happy.

He came down the stairs and apologized to me but said he had not wanted anything special for fathers day. I apologized too for not honoring his wishes but I still felt bad. Who apologizes for doing something special for another person? He is so ungrateful of all I do for him. I earn 2 x more money than he does and seem to have to make all of our plans.

I don't know if I should ask my psychiatrist if it is ok if I take a higher dosage of Prozac so I stop feeling so depressed. Or should I get counseling? I feel so alone and miserable but don't want it to affect the health of my unborn baby.

I can't believe you are taking any antidepressants while pregnant. I thought you had to be weaned off all that stuff for the baby.

I'm sorry your husband was a jerk about the father's day breakfast, Have you told him that you need more support while you are pregnant. You have to talk to him about your needs & wants. You also need to tell him that he hurt your feelings.

whichwayisup

On Saturday, he was gone all day playing a boardgame with his friends so I was all by myself. I have spent all my time with him since becoming married so I no longer have any friends that want to spend time with me. I feel so alone and don't know what to do. I am very introverted so it has always been difficult to meet people.

You need to reconnect with your friends, make amends. Your husband can't be with you 24/7, each of you must have things you enjoy to do on your own, see friends, etc. Introvert or not, it is unhealthy to rely on your spouse for everything.

I can't believe you are taking any antidepressants while pregnant. I thought you had to be weaned off all that stuff for the baby.

Some meds are safe. I'm sure her Dr has made sure what she is taking is okay.

• Like 3

I agree about trying to get OFF of Prozac, at least during the pregnancy.

Here is a possible explanation of his behavior. He is not a father yet. There has not been a birth, and in any event he is not YOUR father, but the father of the child that is coming. So NEXT YEAR when he is a father and has a kid...he will probably be all over the whole "fathers day" thing.

I know I did not feel like a father at all UNTIL I held that little baby in my arms, THEN it happened.

Also, first time kids...men take some time to warm up to the whole idea. The loss of freedom, etc. He may be trying to keep the whole idea out of his mind for a little while longer.

You might want to find some friends!! Reconnect with some of your previous friends. Is there a lamaze class you can join, and meet other pregnant women there? or some other "first time mom's class/group" locally?

If not that, how about joining a good book club or something...anything that gets u out of the house once in a while and forces you to talk with other adults.

No offense to you but your husband is a total jerk. If my wife were pregnant, she could do or say whatever she wants and I'd support her 100%. And I'd take over cooking after 4 months.