Married six weeks after meeting!

Mr Carson

Anyone have a very short engagement and have it work out? My wife and I were married six weeks and one day after we met, I in no way advocate this but its worked for us. We were setup by a mutual friend who invited us to dinner I didn’t know I was being setup but she did. As soon as I walked in I knew, my friend her H and another married couple and this beauty I thought was way out of my league. We had a good night talking and laughing so I decided to asked her out and to my surprise she excepted, that was Friday night we went out for dinner the next day. We sat for three hours talking and neither one of us touched our food my hands were sweaty and my stomach was full of butterflies I thought for sure she could see right through me. We were together every day for the next week and the next Saturday I said to her, I could marry you. She told me that she felt the same way so I said let’s get married in 8 months and she agreed. The next week I walked into her apartment and said I want to marry you she said yes, I said I want to marry you too. I explained no I mean now I don’t want to wait I’m crazy in love and I want you to be my wife NOW! She told me you have to ask my Dad so the first time I met her family I asked her Dad, again to my surprise he said OK and we were married in my brother’s house six weeks and one day form the first time I'd seen her face. That will be 25 years ago this year. Of course we’ve had our ups and downs but what marriage hasn’t. I know people and I’m sure you do that dated for years and were engaged for years that didn’t stay married for one year. I in no way say what we did is the right way I guess it was blind luck and lots of hard work. I know it’s hypocritical but if my daughter said she wanted to marry a guy in six weeks I’d put her in a crate and ship her to Bohemia. My wife seems to be very proud and tells everyone how we only knew each other for six weeks, I’m a little embarrassed sometimes because it sounds so reckless. But I’ve always been a fly by the seat of my pants kind of guy and apparently W is too! Also for what it’s worth she was 21 and I was 25 I had purchased a house two years prior and had good job so I’m sure this helped a lot in our early years.

What’s your story short engagement or long? Could you have married your H/W in a short time after meeting?

• Like 3
  • Author
Mr Carson

Just thought I would add, it’s not been all sunshine and roses. About ten years ago my wife asked me for a divorce and I was ready to give it to her. It was a very hard time in our lives, my father had just passed away, my mother moved in with us and our teenagers were out of their minds as teens can be. Also both of our jobs were on the bubble with the uncertain economy and to top it off W was having health problems. We couldn’t be in the same room without fighting, blaming and saying hurtful things to each other. I will never forget the Sunday morning my W woke up early and was sitting in the office/library in our house just staring at the wall. I sat down and said if you really want me to leave I will go today, she looked me squarely in the eyes and said no don’t go. That was the turning point for us we started talking about our true feelings, hurts and misunderstandings we put everything out no holding back. After that we formed a plan and took action, mom moved to her own place, kids slowly very slowly started to come out of their fog, W was healthy again and jobs improved. Now we’ve never been happier, our sex is better now than another time in our marriage. Sometimes we flop on the bed after and just laugh because neither of us thought sex at this time in our lives could be this good…I’m 50. All the insecurities are gone no leave the lights off I feel uncomfortable, now she lays out in broad daylight if you want to look, look all you want. Now that the kids are adults we travel and go on dates I can’t believe we almost gave up and I’m so glad we fought to keep our marriage going.

• Like 1
minimariah

my cousin married his W after 5 days of meeting her -- they recently celebrated their 30th anniversary!

:)

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

My brother met and married his wife of 22 years just 4 months after meeting. Mind you his wife got pregnant at the time which prompted the shotgun wedding but he was absolutely smitten with her right from the start. He would have married her regardless.

I, on the other hand, had been dating my ex husband for 4 years and was planning our big lavish Italian wedding for over a year. My brother ended up having his wedding a couple of weeks after mine.

My marriage did not last but theirs is still going stronger than ever :(

There were definitely very rocky times for them as well but they persevered and have become stronger for it. They're one couple I've come to truly admire and respect. They've got their priorities right and they've clearly found the magic we all seem to be looking for in our own relationships.

I guess some people don't need a whole lot of time to know they've found "the one".

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 1

We were not officially engaged, but my wife told me she was going to marry me after 2 weeks of dating. Somehow, I didn't take that as a huge red flag and bail on the whole thing, but several years later it did end up happening. We are still married 5 years later.

• Like 1

I once met a couple that went out on a date when they were 19-20 years old and at some point during the date, realized they wanted to get married so they drove all night to Vegas and got married in one of those wedding chapels.

Impetuous? Yes. Irresponsible? Likely. Crazy? For sure. Just plain stupid? Probably.

But at the point I met them, they had been married for ten years and had a couple kids and had virtually no regrets or second thoughts at that time.

I only saw them that once an That was several years ago so I don't know their current status but things had worked out successfully for them for ten years so I don't think anyone has the right to judge simply based on getting married too soon or too young.

No marriage has any guarantees of either success or of failure.

• Like 1

My friend's parents got married after like 6 months of dating. They were both in their mid 30s and sick of dating. They have 2 kids and have been married like 20+ years, so it seems to have worked out fine.

• Like 1
  • Author
Mr Carson

Before I met my W I was engaged to a girl I dated for two years and we were engaged for almost two. One weekend I went on a guy’s camping trip, she had a key to my house and stole $300 from me! I was so confused I knew in my gut she did it but had no proof, she denied it and said she was in my house with her sister, so it must have been her. After weeks of prodding and I actually prayed God I don’t want to marry this woman if she’s a thief, she finally admitted she took it, I ended it soon after. She was a pretty girl but I just saw some pics of her on FB and time had not been kind, let’s just say she more than twice the person she was. After I married my W she tried hard to cause all kinds of trouble, one day she called my work and said she had a hotel room I could just meet her there. Before I met my W I did fall for the honey trap a few times but always hated myself after. Finally one time she showed up at my house late, dressed in thigh high’s and not much else and I wouldn’t let her in. She started pounding on my window so I called the cops. It’s funny now, the cop asked what’s the problem I said without thinking she wants me to have sex with her. The cop looked at me, then her, then he looked at me like boy what’s wrong with you? All I can say is she did me a favor stealing that money because I never would have met the beautiful woman I’m married to now, best 300 bucks I’ve ever lost!

For me and my wife it was more like six years, but every day I wish it had been six weeks. Or as close to it as we could have gotten away with. We both went through six years of trying out various other possibilities, none of which ever went anywhere for reasons that are now obvious but for some reason weren't at the time. I envy those who are able to figure things out more quickly than we did.