The Stepford Wife

NO!

My wife is a confidant, a partner, a best friend, a lover and breathing, loving human being. Give me the imperfections, the occasional slip ups, cold feet at night and bed hair in the morning. The long conversations of the heart that bring us closer together, as we both grow old together and share our commonalities.

A robot with big tits does not appeal to me.

• Like 2

I found the "wives" to be just incredibly annoying. If I found myself married to someone like that I would sign her up for astronaut training in the hope that she would be selected for the first mission to Mars.

autumnnight
Even if she is soft and pretty?

The reason red tail feels what he feels is because he is a MAN who has depth. Boys who want toys will feel differently.

• Like 2
SawtoothMars
Is this really the perfect type of wife?

If you could have one, would you go for it?

I won't deny it has a certain appeal to it, but in the end... I would not choose this kind of wife.

Primarily because I believe she would set a poor example for our children. My wife is a surgeon... and I know our children will be able to look up to her as a rolemodel. Boys will want to marry a woman like her, and girls will want to be like her. I'm sure that isn't the answer people expected.

The reason red tail feels what he feels is because he is a MAN who has depth. Boys who want toys will feel differently.

I disagree. Many guys would like to outsource the domestic portion of their lives, allowing them to focus on creating a good career. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. Many women would like to eschew the stress of building a career for the more rewarding job of creating a wonderful domicile and family. Nothing wrong with this... or nothing wrong with a Stepford Husband either.

I can say this because I've been through both ends of this. I would take a Stepford Wife over a henpecking controlling woman ANY day. Most men who dream of this kind of wife have been victims of controlling and manipulative women in the past.

autumnnight
I disagree. Many guys would like to outsource the domestic portion of their lives, allowing them to focus on creating a good career. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. Many women would like to eschew the stress of building a career for the more rewarding job of creating a wonderful domicile and family. Nothing wrong with this... or nothing wrong with a Stepford Husband either.

This is not what consider a Stepford wife. This is a person who prefers traditional gender roles. And regardless of what Gloria Steinem's angry followers think, there is nothing wrong with that.

When I think of Stepford wife I think of a domestic goddess sex machine with no mind of her own, no needs, who never expresses a thought that isn't interesting or isn't in line with what hubby thinks, and who basically ARE robots with genitalia. Women who will do for their man and the man has no responsibility to do for her...ever.

The man who wants THAT kind of woman is not a man.

• Like 1
Is this really the perfect type of wife?

If you could have one, would you go for it?

Using this description:

"The label "Stepford wife" is usually applied to a woman who seems to conform blindly to an old-fashioned subservient role in relationship to her husband, compared to other, presumably more independent women. It can also be used to criticise any person, male or female, who submits meekly to authority and/or abuse; or even to describe someone who lives in a robotic, conformist manner without giving offense to anyone."

No and no

• Like 2

I will admit it might make me happy for a while, but in the end I believe I would feel alone, so whats the point?

There are many close examples of step ford wives in my area and one or two stepford husbands.

SawtoothMars
This is not what consider a Stepford wife. This is a person who prefers traditional gender roles. And regardless of what Gloria Steinem's angry followers think, there is nothing wrong with that.

When I think of Stepford wife I think of a domestic goddess sex machine with no mind of her own, no needs, who never expresses a thought that isn't interesting or isn't in line with what hubby thinks, and who basically ARE robots with genitalia. Women who will do for their man and the man has no responsibility to do for her...ever.

The man who wants THAT kind of woman is not a man.

This is seriously just a matter of perspective. After another 3 hour blowup and fight with my xWife... a Stepford Style woman would have seemed a welcome change.

The whole thing is a criticism of 1950's style cultural expectations for wives. The point was to show society as turning women into robots. We all know that this is an extreme caricature that doesn't exist much in reality and never really did.

The bottom line here is that I've done a lot of dating in my time... and most women have expectations and demands that are WAY out of line with reality. We have gone so far in the opposite direction that I can understand men who yearn for something better. I once had a 3 day... 3 DAY... fight with my xWife because she didn't like the way I load the dishwasher.

Growing up during the period Ira Levin set for the book which the phenomena took its name from, and experiencing the realities of the 1950's baby boomers and their parents, absent clear cases of abuse and 'robotic' behaviors as a coping mechanism, I can't recall with any clarity any observations of meek and subservient behaviors, rather a mixed milieu of individuals sometimes accommodating the wants and needs of their spouses and sometimes have their own accommodated. If this mixed bag was in evidence in public, I doubt subservient would rule in private. If anything, a spouse would be more compliant and subservient in public to appear more united.

However, the politics of the era the book appeared in, with women campaigning for equal rights and pay in the workplace, would align with the feminist message in the book. To the extent that they were accommodating and subservient prior, that era (early 70's) was the harbinger of changes to come.

This is seriously just a matter of perspective. After another 3 hour blowup and fight with my xWife... a Stepford Style woman would have seemed a welcome change.

The whole thing is a criticism of 1950's style cultural expectations for wives. The point was to show society as turning women into robots. We all know that this is an extreme caricature that doesn't exist much in reality and never really did.

The bottom line here is that I've done a lot of dating in my time... and most women have expectations and demands that are WAY out of line with reality. We have gone so far in the opposite direction that I can understand men who yearn for something better. I once had a 3 day... 3 DAY... fight with my xWife because she didn't like the way I load the dishwasher.

So why did you keep fighting with her? :laugh:

If I wanted mindless and subservient I would just hire someone who then wouldn't question their employer. In marriage, I want an equal who will challenge me.

Boy did I get that in spades! :laugh:;)

GorillaTheater

It would be nice at times. The first thing I'd do if I had a Stepford Wife is hand her some painting supplies and put her to work. The truck needs washing, too.

Sex? If I wanted robotic sex I would have married an old girlfriend instead of my wife.

The first thing I'd do if I had a Stepford Wife is hand her some painting supplies and put her to work. The truck needs washing, too.

Good one! :laugh:

SawtoothMars
So why did you keep fighting with her? :laugh:

When you are married to a woman like that... and they are legion... it is not your choice when to begin and end a fight.

To be honest I don't really blame women much for this. When we were first married I was very immature. For the first couple years of our marriage she kind of raised me, and I can imagine that was taxing at times. However, I grew up around 25 and at that point started putting my foot down. The moment I stopped doing the "yes, dear", it was a constant battle for domination.

It is important to note that while many women proclaim to want an equal relationship... they buy 50 Shades of Grey and fantasize about strong domineering men. It is kind of crazy, but most women want to both be treated like an equal... and dominated at the same time. I have a good friend who is a lesbian... she thinks women are crazy too. :laugh:

If I wanted mindless and subservient I would just hire someone who then wouldn't question their employer. In marriage, I want an equal who will challenge me.

Boy did I get that in spades! :laugh:;)

Who the hell acts like this at work? I am willing to do what I am asked, but I always provide feedback... sometimes pushback.

The most important lesson I ever learned with relationships is that it's vitally important to say the word NO. Tell her NO, do it often. It doesn't even have to make sense... just do it. This will quickly tell you what kind of woman you have.

The point is that I would take a woman who never challenges me over one who always challenges me. Both of those extremes are rare... but only a fool wants to come home and either be dominated or fight constantly.

autumnnight

I can definitely understand why a smiling slave with big boobs and no needs would be attractive to a man at the end of his rope.

However, I think a healthy man with a healthy view of women wouldn't choose this.

Heck, there was a time I would have probably welcomed an absolute ass for a husband so long as he had a sex drive. But not once I ended my dead marriage and got healthy.

Side note, it only takes one person to make a big deal out of how a dishwasher is loaded. But it takes two to make it last 3 days.

• Like 1