He still doesn't want to get married and I start wondering if we ever will

Hi,

I'd like to hear your advice, maybe there are even some men here who can answer.

Yesterday morning I woke up with the unexpected feeling of not knowing if I can stay in my relationship much longer if he doesn’t propose to me soon, or at least agrees on a timeline. And I would like to hear your advice and opinion on this. Let me explain.

My boyfriend is almost 31, I’m 27, we met in summer 2012, decided after just very few dates that we want to be in an exclusive relationship. When we met, I was about to end my Master’s degree and really wasn’t marriage oriented at all, in fact I never even thought about it, so for a long time we didn’t even mention getting married at all. After just a couple of months of relationship we moved in together and our relationship got more serious, I met all of his friends and family and he met mine. That was when I first started thinking about getting married one day, but I found it way too soon to talk about it. 1.5 years into the relationship, I finally brought it up for the first time. His answer- He wants to get married one day, but he isn’t crazy about wedding traditions like huge celebrations. That was fine with me because I’m not into that either. We dropped the topic.

Fast forward to last summer, shortly after our second anniversary. He told me his company is relocating him to another city and asked me if I want to come with him. I said yes, I couldn’t imagine being in a long distance relationship with him. That was maybe a misake, maybe I should have said ‘Yes,but I want to wait until we’re engaged’. FYI, moving to another city isn’t a big deal for me because I’m working selfemployed so I can work from wherever. Plus, before we even moved I already lived far away from home (6h flight), so I’m used to move around. I met him in his city, I didn’t move there for him, but I don’t think I would have stayed that long there if not for him.

Well, as mentioned, last summer I told him I will move to that new city with him. A week before we actually moved, he brought up buying a house together and having kids. He asked me if I want to start looking at houses with him because he really wants to have one with me, and how many kids I want and when. I told him I want to have two kids in maybe 3-4 years, and that I would love to buy a house with him, but not before we’re engaged. He found that weird, but said that he doesn’t have a problem with marrying me, that he loves me and that I can be sure that we will get married. I asked him about a timeline, he said he doesn’t know. We started looking at houses anyway, but we didn’t buy anything because I put my foot down that I want to be engaged at least when byuying something. I guess I was hoping he would propose faster when he sees he’s not getting the house he wants if we’re not engaged. Well, that plan didn’t work out, he still didn’t propose, but he keeps talking about houses and our future together (minus marriage).

In February- Living together in the new city and after over 2.5 years of relationship- I brought it up again. I told him straight that I don’t understand what he’s waiting for, that we have been living together for quite a long time, that he talks about buying a house and having kids together, that there is no reason why we cannot get married. I think if I’m good enough for all this, I’m good enough to be his wife. I could see that he felt uncomfortable with this conversation. He said he still wants to get married, but that I’m putting a lot of pressure on him now and that he doesn’t want to feel forced. I was like ‘Excuse me? In the 2.5+ years we’ve been together we’ve talked about getting married three times. I never nagged you, never pressured you.’ but he still said that he feels pressured now. He also said that right now he just doesn’t feel like planning a wedding. I said we can get engaged in these months and get married next year so we have a lot of time to plan. It still didn’t seem to convince him. I said okay, asked him if he can at least give me a timeline when it will happen. He said he doesn’t know and that he feels like I’m in a rush to get married. I didn’t want to let it go just yet and joked ‘I really don’t want to wait another three years’, he said ‘It’s not gonna be three years’. I said ‘How much then?’ he said ‘Less than three years’. He couldn’t tell me more, just that it will happen.

For me this looks like a really ****ty timeline. I mean, this summer we’ll have our third anniversary and he cannot at least tell me that it’s gonna happen in the next 6-12 months?! We have been living together for quite a while and plan a future together and everything. Plus, he’s (almost) 31, has been working in his stable job with a great salary for many years (he graduated from college in 2007), he already owns an apartment in his home city (currently renting out to other people), most of his friends are already married, I’ve also been working in my job for a few years now, I’m financially absolutely independent and we make around the same amount of money. For me, there is zero reason to not finally get engaged. I even made it clear to him that I don’t want or need a diamond engagement ring, that I prefer an amerald or sapphire for just a few hundred bucks, I even said we can split the price. I also said that I don’t want a big wedding party, that I would prefer a cheap elopement or a small ceremony only with the closest family. Hell, I even said that I can plan everything myself if he prefers that and that I just tell him what we could do and he tells me if he likes the idea or not.

Then we stopped talking about it. That was two months ago. Neither him or I have brought up getting married ever since. A few days ago we were at a friend’s house with two married couples and they started asking us when we get married. I told the girls that I don’t know yet, answered ‘Yes’ when they asked me if I want to get married. They also tried to ask my bf, but he seriously pretended that he doesn’t hear them, he just started a conversation with one of the guys about something else instead.

Well, in these two months after our last marriage talk I tried to back off, not mention marriage at all and really did not, still hoping that he would. In two weeks we’re leaving for a trip to Cuba, and I guess all this time I was still hoping it would happen there. I don’t know, yesterday I just woke up and felt like I’m lying to myself, keeping my hopes up although deep down I know it won’t happen there. He cannot even give me a real timeline, or mention marriage once in a while. He has never brought it up himself. Am I expecting too much after almost three years, regarding our situations? Should I just leave him? Should I give him a few more months? Or what would you do?

Thank you.

You've told him you want marriage, he knows how you feel about it. I personally wouldn't bring it up anymore. I'd set a timeline in my own mind and also detach a little in my emotions to protect my self from hurt.

If my timeline comes and it hasn't moved forward, then I'd be telling my bf I need some time out, because I'm not sure about his commitment and maybe some time apart will help him decide. IMO I don't want a man talking about kids with me, without marriage. I am married now and have kids, but this was my view when single.

I don't understand how people say their not sure about marriage, but want kids together. Kids tie a couple together way more than marriage. With no kids a couple can divorce and don't have to see each other again, you can't do that if you have kids together. Having kids when you aren't married gives you less or no financial security. This impacts women more especially after they've had kids and they are often earning less.

Everyone is different, but don't settle for less than you want in a relationship. I'm not saying he should marry you if he's not yet sure, that would be wrong, but in your position, I'd give it one year maximum, don't mention marriage to him again. Do things outside your relationship and don't isolate yourself from friends. This is also your time to see if you really want to marry him.

If he still hasn't proposed after one year, having seen how things have gone you can take whatever action then. Just don't waste years and years.

When I was dating my husband, he talked about us buying a house and living together first. Without even being engaged. I told him I didn't want that. He seemed to be hesitant and I suggested we take a break from each other so he could think about it. I was very prepared to walk away, but he didn't want this.

Part of this was that there were 2 other guys that had shown an interest in me and one was pretty serious from the onset. I told him I was with someone, but if my bf hadn't gotten his act together I'd have ended it.

I really didnt want to waste any more time on a relationship that wasn't going anywhere. I'd had lots of boyfriends already, I wanted something more serious. Bearing in mind time is ticking on. Had I been 23 or so, I would have had more patience, but I was late 20s.

Good luck.

• Like 2

What would your grandmother and every other grandmother worth their weight in beetle dung advise their grand daughters to do?

Grandmothers are very rarely ever wrong about such matters.

• Like 1
Am I expecting too much after almost three years, regarding our situations? Should I just leave him? Should I give him a few more months? Or what would you do?

While clearly painful, don't think this is that complicated. You're simply going to have to decide between him or the life you want as a wife and mom. Doesn't look like you'll have both.

Not only hasn't he brought up marriage on his own, he won't even actively participate in a discussion started by you or someone else. His position is pretty clear and he seems to have actively staked it out.

Even if you could persuade/browbeat/drag him to the altar, is that the groom and life partner you want :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Well if you look up alimony laws he could be stuck paying you half his monthly income for life even after retirement. I can understand his hesitation.

It doesn't seem to me that you're his one. I would let him go.

For an adult man or woman that have completed their educations and are gainfully employed in their career, a year of steady dating is adequate time to know if the person they are dating is "the one" or not.

If a guy wants to marry the woman he is with, he will move mountains and let nothing get in the way of doing it.

If he doesn't want to, he will move nothing and everything will stop it.

You are both gainfully employed, college educated adults. If he believed you were the one and wanted to marry you, he would've proposed two years ago.

Period.

Edited by oldshirt
  • Like 4
Quiet Storm

In order for marriage to work, he has to genuinely want to be married and want you to be his wife. He loves you and wants to have a life with you, but he clearly doesn't want to get married. So you have to decide, is this enough for you? If not, then you have to move on.

Marriage is a big step and a lifelong commitment. It seems like you want him to feel like since you two are already living together, marriage isn't a big deal and not much will change. The comments like "it can be a simple wedding", "I don't want an expensive ring", "if we get engaged now, we'll have plenty of time to plan" are confusing because its like you want him to think it's not a big deal and not much will change, when marriage really is a very big deal to you.

Whether you tell him 3 times or 20, he feels pressured because he knows that you want to be married and he's not ready yet. It's not about how many times you bring it up, it's knowing that you want something that he's not prepared to give you. He doesn't want to lose you, he doesn't want to disappoint you, so he's pushing back the decision. He's buying himself more time, hoping by then he'll know for sure that he wants to marry you (or you'll get tired of waiting and take his choice away).

Do you want a man that agrees to marry you even though it's not what he really wants? Or do you want a man who genuinely wants to be married, and has chosen you to be his wife? Marriages where one partner feels forced, coerced or trapped into it do not work. Also, there are many guys these days who just do not want to get married. The days of marriage being a next step, or a natural progression are over for many men. Many are content to just be in a relationship, and don't want marriage. That's OK, but they should be up front about it. The problem is that many men aren't honest about this, and women ending up wasting years waiting for a guy that never wanted marriage to propose.

You two aren't on the same page right now. He's content and you are not. He knows you want to get married, and he's told you he's not ready and will not give you a timeline. Now you either wait for him to change, accept him as he is or move on.

• Like 2
While clearly painful, don't think this is that complicated. You're simply going to have to decide between him or the life you want as a wife and mom. Doesn't look like you'll have both.

You are both gainfully employed, college educated adults. If he believed you were the one and wanted to marry you, he would've proposed two years ago.

Period.

In order for marriage to work, he has to genuinely want to be married and want you to be his wife. He loves you and wants to have a life with you, but he clearly doesn't want to get married. So you have to decide, is this enough for you? If not, then you have to move on.

missblue, probably not what you want to hear but pretty consistent feedback :( ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

In my experience and that of my female cousins and girlfriends, they've always been ready to get married before the bf proposed. Men are generally (not always) more afraid or hesitant to comitt to marriage.

Every individual has to decide what they want in a relationship and decide to leave the relationship if it isn't going your way. One of my male cousins said if it was just up to him, he wouldn't have got married when he did. He was 26 at the time. His gf said she was moving on if he wasn't ready and he wasn't prepared to take the risk and let her go.

I do get ticked off when he says this, because I tell him he wasn't forced, he had a choice. He says he did love her, but wanted to date her for another 2/3 years, which she saw as a waste of time. I applaud her, she wasn't having any of his dilly dallying.

Marriage is a huge commitment. Both parties need to be sure about it. He isn't sure right now. Whatever you do, don't get pregnant now or he'll think you've deliberately done it to trap him.

• Like 1

It has been my experience that when a man wants to marry you they bring it up and move you fast to the altar. It is best for the marriage not to pressure the man into commitment. If they feel pressured they won't be happy nor forget it. I've known too many women who were gfs of men for years, broke up and then a year later he is engaged to someone else. Don't wait around too long for him to propose and don't ask him again.

• Like 3

There is a lot of truth in this post. I have just added a few extra points onto it.

It has been my experience that when a man wants to marry you they bring it up and move you fast to the altar.

when a man sincerely wants to marry a woman he will construct a vision of what their life and family will be, will determine what will be a suitable home for them. Will discuss it with her father/family and get their input/blessing. Will purchase a ring roughly equivalent to several months of his income. And then will get down on one knee and make a legitimate proposition.

If she says yes, then he will start moving forward with his plans.

It is best for the marriage not to pressure the man into commitment.

the reason that above "tradition" is a tradition that has played out over centuries is because it shows that he is sincere and vested and is not just being pressured and manipulated. Women can talk men into just about anything and this is one area where men need to be sincere and fully vested.

If they feel pressured they won't be happy nor forget it.

if they aren't completely sincere and fully vested, it will always end badly.

I've known too many women who were gfs of men for years, broke up and then a year later he is engaged to someone else.

i am one of those men.

In my 20s I was dating a woman a few years older than me. After a few years she gave me an ultimatum of engagement in a year or bust. I took the bust and told her I'd save her another year of waiting. It was tough but it was the right thing.

Shortly after I started dating another gal who I initially thought was going to be the one but after a couple years that was really going no where. I met my now wife and we started seeing each other on the down low initially (she was also in a LTR going no where) in time the sht hit the fan and within about 6 months of breaking up with our respective partners, we were engaged.

That was 20 years and two kids ago and we are still together.

When the time is right and the person is right, things click into place dispute all the challenges and hurdles etc.

Don't wait around too long for him to propose and don't ask him again.

i don't believe in waiting around for anything to just happen. If marriage and family is your end-goal, I would put a one year limit on exclusive dating for a college educated, gainfully employed adult and be upfront and honest about that time limit.

".....don't know...." Is not a valid excuse for an adult after a year. They know, it's just that the answer is no but they want to continue milking the benifits of the relationship until "the one" comes along.

• Like 3
For an adult man or woman that have completed their educations and are gainfully employed in their career, a year of steady dating is adequate time to know if the person they are dating is "the one" or not.

If a guy wants to marry the woman he is with, he will move mountains and let nothing get in the way of doing it.

If he doesn't want to, he will move nothing and everything will stop it.

Period.

".....don't know...." Is not a valid excuse for an adult after a year. They know, it's just that the answer is no but they want to continue milking the benifits of the relationship until "the one" comes along.

I respectfully but strongly disagree with the one-year timeline thing. One year in and you're barely through the honeymoon for a lot of couples. My girlfriend and I are going on 3.5 years but it's been discussed and it's not something either one of us are willing to rush into. I wish I could say that we are an outlier, but I cannot honestly think of a single couple that I know personally, that has gotten engaged within a year's time. The average is probably around 3-4 years, but I know some that have waited 6, 7, even 10 years.

The problem the OP has is her timeline is different from her boyfriend's. I don't know what to say to that. I don't agree that discussing it more and more is going to help the situation if he's feeling pressured by it, but at the same time I think she needs to find out just what his timeline might be.

I do find it odd that her boyfriend is discussing a house and children but won't talk about marriage. It might be that he doesn't want to get married at all, and the OP deserves to know that.

Ninjainpajamas

If a man wants to marry you, then he'll tell you.

If he sees a future with you, then he'll plan one or ask you to plan one together.

If a man wants to settle down in the near future he won't just say what he wants one day.

Basically, the guys doesn't really want to marry you...you're making him feel pressured because you simply brought it up.

From a guys point of view, I'd suggest you leave...all the reasons in the world in your woman mind will not make up for the fact that he doesn't want that future with you.

Now I've seen women pull all kinds of trickery and guilt just to get that marriage, but it's up to you if that's your style, if you're actually the type that wants the guy to marry you because he wants to then I think you're better off moving on instead of waiting around...you're still young and can find another guy, but this guy will likely just end up wasting more years and you won't be happy or satisfied with it...however you are being the woman who is trying to do everything in her power to make it easy for the guy to be with you, I think you're trying way too hard and not getting that he isn't interested in that conversation.

Personally, I wouldn't wait around...women on the other hand, tend to do the whole hope and magic waiting game, and I just don't really see the point in that, that's not how I would want to be with someone.

• Like 3
  • Author

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it.

I got an update- I talked to him again tonight. I just couldn't wait another six months or so pretending that everything is fine, without being completely sure where he stands. Well, he said that he hasn't thought about getting married AT ALL since last time we talked. He said that we thought we agreed to wait and see what the future brings, and that we said it'll be under three years. I told him that by now he should be completely sure if Im the women he wants to marry or not. He said he is sure about me, but has doubts sometimes when we fight. I basically said everything I wanted to say, e.g. 'If you're not sure now, you never will be' and that I cannot wait around forever. He argued with the house, saying that this is a big commitment too, but that he just doesn't want to get married now and doesn't understand why I do. I asked him for at least a timeline and he said he really cannot give me one.

I guess now it's really time to walk away..

• Like 3
I respectfully but strongly disagree with the one-year timeline thing. One year in and you're barely through the honeymoon for a lot of couples. My girlfriend and I are going on 3.5 years but it's been discussed and it's not something either one of us are willing to rush into. I wish I could say that we are an outlier, but I cannot honestly think of a single couple that I know personally, that has gotten engaged within a year's time. The average is probably around 3-4 years, but I know some that have waited 6, 7, even 10 years.

This seems counter-intuitive to me. Why would I stay with someone 7-10 years that I didn't want a long-term commitment with? A decade is a long time to just hang out...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

The problem the OP has is her timeline is different from her boyfriend's. I don't know what to say to that. I don't agree that discussing it more and more is going to help the situation if he's feeling pressured by it, but at the same time I think she needs to find out just what his timeline might be.

I do find it odd that her boyfriend is discussing a house and children but won't talk about marriage. It might be that he doesn't want to get married at all, and the OP deserves to know that.

If both people are in agreement not to marry, I see no foul at all.

And I can see extending the dating period if the partys are young or in college or waiting to get out of the military or have gainful employment etc.

But if both people have completed their education, are gainfully employed and one for-sure wants to get married and the other is perfectly happy to just keep marking time indefinitely, the other has the right to walk.

A year is plenty of time for an adult to know or not.

Now please understand I am not saying that all couples should be engaged in a year. I am not implying that at all. I am saying that a developed adult should know within a year if the person they are dating is 'the one' or not and know if they want to be with that person or not.

That person saying "..I don't know." is BS and a stalling tactic.

• Like 1
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it.

I got an update- I talked to him again tonight. I just couldn't wait another six months or so pretending that everything is fine, without being completely sure where he stands. Well, he said that he hasn't thought about getting married AT ALL since last time we talked. He said that we thought we agreed to wait and see what the future brings, and that we said it'll be under three years. I told him that by now he should be completely sure if Im the women he wants to marry or not. He said he is sure about me, but has doubts sometimes when we fight. I basically said everything I wanted to say, e.g. 'If you're not sure now, you never will be' and that I cannot wait around forever. He argued with the house, saying that this is a big commitment too, but that he just doesn't want to get married now and doesn't understand why I do. I asked him for at least a timeline and he said he really cannot give me one.

This is what our grandmothers used to call 'getting the milk for free.'

He is simply content with the status quo and enjoying the benefits of the current arrangement without any aspirations of going further.

He is not buying the cow because he is getting the milk for free. Meaning he is getting all the benefits of the relationship( ie steady poontang) without having to commit to marriage and family etc.

The fact that he admitted to saying he hadn't given marriage any thought since you last brought it up tells you all you need to know.

If you are wanting marriage in your life, you are barking up the wrong tree here.

• Like 3

The fact that he admitted to saying he hadn't given marriage any thought since you last brought it up tells you all you need to know.

If you are wanting marriage in your life, you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Let's flip this around to look at it in a different perspective.

Let's say a couple has been dating steadily for awhile and the guy is wanting the relationship to become sexual and the woman is holding back on that saying she "doesn't know" if she is ready to go there or not.

The guy agrees to not pressure her and doesn't bring it up again for a period of time. When he finally breaks down and asks her where she stands on that topic now and her reply is she hasn't thought about sex AT ALL since it was last discussed. but not only that, she says she can't understand why he wants to have sex and can't understand why he keeps bringing it up and she has no idea when she'll be ready to go there.

How many guys do you think are going to stick around for that????

This really boils down to a whole, basic, life plan incompatibility.

You want to marry some day. He doesn't. At least not to you.

I am sorry but he simply isn't the guy for you :-(

• Like 3
lucy_in_disguise

I dunno... so many harsh implicit criticisms of non-marriage long-term relationships here.

Personally i dont see the huge deal about marriage unless you are ready for children. There are many great reasons to wait until that point - including "why not" - that have little to do with not being sure abiut your partmer. As we all know, marriage or "being sure" do not necessarily guarantre ling term success. Nor do they eliminate problems....

So, I dont agree with what appears to be the general consensus that if a man is "sure", he will marry you immediately.

That being said, at this point he has admitted to having doubts about the relatuonship. This is concerning. I woild take a step back (including perhaps moving out) to re-evaluate whether this is working for you two.

• Like 1

I would say so. Not to put too fine a point on this, but if he's not sure and is acting like he wants to feel his way through the relationship until the time is right, that is completely FINE for him to do. However,his method may not work for you or your plans/timeline. If that's the case, you both have a fundamental disconnect in terms of values in my opinion and it simply isn't meant to be.

Some here say that you should be married within ~1 year, some say that it can take 3+ years to be sure. The timing is dependent upon what you are both comfortable and OK with. My point is, there is no right or wrong answer, it depends on each of you as individuals and in this particular case it looks to me like you both simply disagree in terms of your timeline/urgency.

Just because we love someone, think we are fab together, and have something "special" and meaningful does not always mean that we are meant for one another in a long term relationship. I learned this not once, but three times before I was clear on seeking a man that truly met my own value system and timeline. The difference is like night and day. Again, just drawing from my own personal experience.

My advice would be to walk away. You are young, younger than I was when my first marriage ended, the world is still your oyster, but time is something you should never waste on someone who is not on the same page as you.

• Like 1

Is there a reason why he might be against marriage? (did his parents have a nasty divorce, etc?) Where on his timeline does he want kids? Does he think parents should be married or is it not a big deal?

Sorry you're going through this, wish I had better advice. My husband dragged his feet for a long time too (we were together nearly 8 years by the time we got married...but much younger). The only difference was that I didn't care if we got married, but no marriage meant no kids or house. When he was ready for those, he was ready for marriage.

• Author
Is there a reason why he might be against marriage? (did his parents have a nasty divorce, etc?) Where on his timeline does he want kids? Does he think parents should be married or is it not a big deal?

No, he is actually from a picture perfect family. His parents have been married for over 30 years and they still seem super happy and even advertise marriage. His father told us a while ago that he thinks that one year of dating is enough to get married.

Half a year ago he told me he wants kids in about four years, which was ok to me. But he wants to buy a house NOW. I told him yesterday 'How can you want to buy a house with me if you're not 100% sure about me and our relationship'? (He said he sometimes has doubts when we fight). He said it's not that he's not sure and that he loves me very much, but he didn't have any answer to this. If he really loved me and wanted a future with me, wouldn't he be able to tell me at least 'We can get engaged til the end of this year'? I mean it's been three years of relationship this summer (he actually said 'Oh really? I thought it was only two'... I just thought what a douche).

• Like 2

I would have to agree with loveboid, if you were his one he would want to marry you. Buying a house with someone is a HUGE step and thats a long term commitment, but marriage seems like something he is not "ready" for yet. How many more years do you want to give to a man who is not loving you like a priority.

• Like 1

Thank God you found out about this before you invest your money into a home. I can't imagine owning a home with a partner who I'm not sure we will be together for the entire term of the mortgage. Don't buy a house with hi]m.

• Like 1
There are many great reasons to wait until that point - including "why not" - that have little to do with not being sure abiut your partner.

After a couple of years, what are the reasons to wait that don't fall into the category of reluctance to commit to the person you're with :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2