Does the sex ever get boring in a long-term committed relationship?

I know a few people/friend from high school that have been married for 16 years. They always seem happy. And I'm thinking, does the sex ever get boring especially going at 16 years or so??? And still being young at 30 something. I've never been in a long-term relationship, so I wouldn't know. But I could only imagine..if men or women ever think about banging someone else? Being with the same person at 19/20 years old just sounds impossible...what's love got to do with it?

been married with my wife for 32 years , sex never gets old ! we want each other more every day. no i don't dream of being with someone else "why still a honda on the street , when i have a jaguar in the garage."

• Like 6

it certainly can. BUT since there are about a million of kinky sex acts to explore, only an idiot lets their married sex life get boring.

“You could talk about same-sex marriage, but people who have been married say, ‘It’s the same sex all the time.’ ”

-Robin Williams

• Like 1

It hasn't gotten boring for us at all.

We are playful and try different things and play in different ways, but even the most basic, middle-of-the-night, sleepy, clutching quicky is still extremely satisfying. I honestly don't know how it could ever get boring to kiss the person you love, feel their touch, and pleasure each other. Just his smell brings me pleasure, ahhhhh.

• Like 5

I've been having sex with the same person since I was 16 (37 now) and sometimes it can be routine, but even so it's not boring.

• Like 1

I always wonder what ppl mean when they say "try new things". Like what? Can we elaborate? There are only so many new things you can try until you're at the end of the list. Just curious.......

I always wonder what ppl mean when they say "try new things". Like what? Can we elaborate? There are only so many new things you can try until you're at the end of the list. Just curious.......

BF and i've been dating for 3 years, now that's not quite "long term" however we try and keep it spicy - go away for a night and have hot hotel sex, sex in the AM, sex in the PM, sex in the middle of the day, send flirty texts, have sex somewhere new or outside, try different positions, etc....

Fantasies are limitless. Pick a category, and imagine the limitless possibilities within. Just with something as simple as "new places"...literally limitless.

I've always felt it is better with the one you know and love. Put it this way, you can do all kinds of things. I like to make use of cameras. I'll take pictures of my wife. I'll videotape her, or us. Once you watch your wife riding on top of you I can guarantee you will lust after her like a rabid dog.

Another good thing about being with someone you love, you know their routine. What time they are coming home, and you can surprise them. You can suggest things that could scare off a new girl you are with, but it won't with your wife. You can share each other's fantasies, role play, etc. and it won't be weird because you both do it.

So no. It never gets boring.

Love has everything to do with it. I haven't used the term "banging" since high school and that has been some time ago. It only gets boring if you let it. We've been married 16 and its still exciting, erotic..etc...etc. Sure the random temptation comes around from time to time but I make it a point not to stick my dick in it. I don't have to worry about STDs, using condoms or wondering who my partner has been with lately. If that isn't exciting enough I don't know what is. Oh and there is none of that awkwardness that goes along with dating. I know exactly what she likes and every one of her body signals that tells me what mood she is in. Its a whole different level than anything you have experienced before. Why you haven't been in a LTR is none of my business but don't knock it before you try it. Just find the right person, otherwise you'll be posting in the infidelity section and keeping us entertained.

• Like 2
does the sex ever get boring especially going at 16 years or so???

OP yes it can. life can become routine: monday meatloaf, tuesday chicken... get up eat, work, home, eat bed... you get the point. this continues until the mid-life crisis (which is really a realization you are bored).

while the others posters all give 'sound bites' their theme holds true: this is why you have to work at your marriage, to have some freshness, otherwise it will become boring, then wither and die.

• Like 2

Been married 18 years now, and with my husband a couple of years before that.

I have found that the key to keeping things interesting between us isn't just making sex interesting, but other areas of our lives as well.

These go hand in hand.

Someone can be having the most adventurous sex possible with their spouse, but if the love isn't there, it can feel hollow. The reverse is also true. Someone can have an amazing and exciitng life together, but if the sex is boring, the rest can feel hollow.

Michelle ma Belle

It isn't rocket science. It only works if you work it every day.

Yes, there are ebbs and flows in any LTR be it romantic or otherwise. And yes, things can become routine and couple's fall into a rut if they're not careful. That's all very normal particularly when children are involved. But just because it's normal and inevitable doesn't mean it has to define or destroy you or relationship. You either want to make your relationship work or you don't.

The moment you get complacent and start taking each other for granted is when things can go awry. When that becomes the norm more often than not, you weaken the very foundation your relationship was built on. When that happens, resentment breeds and temptation blossoms.

Love is indeed the bond that keeps people together for as long as it does. But as I've said a million times on here, relationships takes TWO people to make or break it and that includes sex. It's about making your partner and your relationship a priority, being open and willing participant, it's about having a healthy sense of humor and a great capacity for forgiveness.

Again, you either want to make it work or you don't. It's really that simple.

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 3

If your spouse (or you!, heaven forbid!) isn't creative, isn't exploratory, has issues, hang-ups, religious or psychological problems (or sometimes physical constraints), or simply doesn't put a priority on sex, then yes, it can become boring, routine, repetitive (at least if you're lucky you'll still get some!), and even a turn-off.

If you generally like sex and your spouse, then it isn't difficult to keep things interesting even after decades. New positions and locations, even just different pressures, angles, and speeds, etc., can produce different sensations that keep it interesting. We're still discovering new things like that every few weeks. Add in toys, lube, lingerie, and the possibilities are endless. You don't need anal and animals - but perhaps some light bondage will be fun for a change.

• Like 1
georgia girl

Haven't been married that long but after several years together, I can honestly say no. Is there a time or two when it's routine? Sure. But if you work at marriage every day, there is always some chemistry there - some fire just below the surface. Then you couple that with an incredible share intimacy and it really does just get better with time. Simply amazing most of the time.

• Like 1

I don't have a Jaguar in the garage, mine is definitely a Honda....plain and boring. But shes mine and she gets me where I need to be 'gets me off' I'd like to drive another car but these days I'm too old, too scared and too lazy to spend time with an affair.

I know a few people/friend from high school that have been married for 16 years. They always seem happy. And I'm thinking, does the sex ever get boring especially going at 16 years or so??? And still being young at 30 something. I've never been in a long-term relationship, so I wouldn't know. But I could only imagine..if men or women ever think about banging someone else? Being with the same person at 19/20 years old just sounds impossible...what's love got to do with it?

It only gets boring if you let it.

It depends on what you call boring I suppose. If boring is the same few positions 98% of the time with a 98% rate of simultaneous orgasm, then yeah, after 7 years together and 5 years married, it's boring. But I'd call a variety of positions with little likelihood of orgasm with someone who doesn't know what I like, boring. ;) Hope that helps!

JohnsonBaby

Absolutely especially if you always do it the same way . You have to keep it spicy but as all my male friends say "new p..y eventually becomes old p...sy" only on the Internet you find faithful ,dedicated men . Lol

If I want to bang someone different I wait a day or so.

She's always changing.

As it happens, an example presented itself recently.

Months ago I suggested something new to try (and no, I'm not going to elaborate). Response? None. OK, fine, I know she heard me, either it happens or it doesn't. Then, a few days ago, with no warning, she says "Hey, remember that thing...? How about we...?"

Later I asked her "Why now?" Her response: "The only reason not to try it is that it might be embarrassing. At this point that really isn't a possibility."