How did U have your wedding? Do U mind share your big day story and the proposal?

thestaircase

Hi, just a positive thread.

I'm a newlywed, 3 months into marriage. So I have alot to learn from all the marriage couples out there. Those who are married for long time or currently married. If there any marriage tips you can give, it be greatly appreciated.

And do you mind share your wedding story? Like did you have a wedding reception? How many guess invited?

Was both side of the family give their blessing? Was the wedding planning stressful?

I didn't have a wedding, we both just decided to get married. So I guess I want to hear other people experience in their wedding planning and their big day.

And how did your husband propose to you? Or how did you propose to your wife? Please share your happy moment proposal story.

I hope these questions are not too personal. I apologize if it is.

• Author
thestaircase

I guess I go first.

I got married with my then boyfriend now husband in a simple and quick City Hall/Courthouse ceremony. With two witness: his mother and my older brother.

I married him with nothing, without an engagement ring, without a wedding reception, without a honeymoon. In defense of my husband, it was me that choose not to have all that.

I did all these to protect him, IF one day he regret this marriage, at least there wasn’t much of any money spend on it.

I have No regrets though. He is an awesome awesome husband!!

There was no point of me having a wedding because nobody on my sides of the family going to show up.

My abusive Chinese mother didn't approve me dating my husband. She is a controlling mother. Both me and my older brother have move out more than a decade ago, we live on our own but as mommy she still trying to control who her children married.

I didn't have my parents blessing in my marriage, I do feel like a part of me is missing. In my Chinese culture, having parents blessing is very important, but this lifetime I won't ever get that from my mother.

Pretty much mom disown me, she have not talk to me since the day I got married. Now I only phone back home to talk to my old father. I do miss my father very much.

Eventhough we didn't have a wedding. Marriage is fine so far, we both are happy. Husband is working 12-14 hours everyday so we can have enough money for a small house down-payment. We both working and if Financial go as plan, we can move out of this cheap rent bad area neighborhood in 2016

As for the proposal.

I never got an 'official' proposal from my husband. Back then, every couple days he would bring up the sentence: “Baby. If you want, we can go register for marriage tomorrow”. His “whenever you ready, I’m just waiting on you” attitude talk. Maybe this was “his” style of proposing. He knows my mother disapproval of him.

I drag it for couple months, and I agree to let get married. We tied the knot at the City Hall/Courthouse on February 6th

It was quick and simple and cheap, but I have no regrets at all. He is an awesome husband, and I feel very blessed.

We not young anymore, I'm 30 and he is 29, it about time to get married, lol

I won't offer any tips because every marriage is different and I haven't done enough time to deserve it I think lol.

My story is pretty simple, we knew each other for about a year before dating and it clicked really quickly. My mum could see we were crazy about each other and offered me a diamond ring to remake into an engagement ring which we did about a year later. I gave it to my then BF and said he could give it back to me whenever he was ready. He gave it to me a bit later on a holiday and nearly a year after that we were married! It was a really simple wedding at a pub with 35 guests that cost less than five grand.

Congrats on being a newlywed.

My 1st piece of advice to you, stop being hung up on somebody else's wedding. The wedding has absolutely no bearing on the marriage. It's one day v everyday.

That said we have the whole shebang. My husband took me on a cruise & proposed after a romantic dinner with lots of champagne. We had huge wedding over 300 people (400 invited but we invited all the single people with a +1 & only 3 took us up on it) & formal reception in a hotel with cocktail hour, sit down dinner & dancing.

I HATED wedding planning & I'm good at it. I also had few problems & no financial concerns. I still hated it & it made me crazy. The sheer costs of the whole thing was insane. I tried on some gown & it was $6,000. For a 1 time dress I would have on for a few hours, that was just stupid, imo. I shopped & shopped & ended up getting my dress for $299. Veils were $400. For a piece of tulle & a plastic comb? I became convinced that the wedding industry thinks women are stupid. BTW I got my veil on e-bay for $12.

As for a good marriage: talk to each other. Be each other's favorite playmate. Have fun together. Be kind to each other. Don't think about what the other person can do for you. If both of you always focus on what you can do for the other, you will be happy. It's the dumb day to day stuff. Kiss hello & goodbye every time. Say I love you at the end of every phone call or text. If you open the refrigerator to get a cold drink ask your spouse if they want something. Split the chores or get household help. Say please & thank you. Do stuff that the other person likes even if it's not your favorite. Always support your spouse in public; never tear them down in front of others. Be flirty. Keep dating each other. Be transparent about the finances. Set spending rules. We can't spend more than $100 on ourselves without clearing it with the other.

• Like 1
georgia girl

I got married in an outdoor wedding overlooking the valley in a beautiful rustic gazebo. My BIL is a judge and he married us. We hired guitarists to play at the ceremony and we wrote our own vows. We also wrote our own intentions and they were simple and beautiful. For our reception for 85 guests, we chose yhe catering from our favorite restaurant, craft beers from a local brewery and wines that we had paired specifically with the food. It was everything I ever wanted or imagined that day would be.

However perfect, I have to say marriage itself far eclipses the day. Having my best friend be my life's partner is just plain amazing. My advice: continue to date and flirt with each other; share what's important and agree to disagree on the stuff that doesn't matter; put your relationship first but don't lose your sense of self; manage money together; and laugh whenever possible.

It may be wistful to think of the wedding you didn't have, but let me assure you that the marriage is what is really important.

My biggest memory is spending the day in a black tux, outside, on a day that it was at least 105 :(

And do you mind share your wedding story? Like did you have a wedding reception? How many guess invited?

Was both side of the family give their blessing? Was the wedding planning stressful?

I didn't have a wedding, we both just decided to get married. So I guess I want to hear other people experience in their wedding planning and their big day.

And how did your husband propose to you? Or how did you propose to your wife? Please share your happy moment proposal story.

I hope these questions are not too personal. I apologize if it is.

To this day my wedding about a decade ago is the happiest day of my life. We've had children, and while those are very close seconds, the truth is nothing beats your wedding day. You share it with everyone. It is the first day of the rest of your life if there ever was.

Our wedding day was perfect. Both families there, about 160 people in total. Both families happy for us as well. Lots of nice memories from just 12 hours jammed into one day. I'll never forget it.

I proposed to my wife walking through a park. She didn't see it coming. She said yes right away.

The wedding planning was not stressful. We had plenty of family and friends willing to help out with little things. We were married within 5 months of the engagement. Why wait?