Relationship/Marriage Life: How often do you cook? Who does the cooking?

thestaircase

Just a positive thread... To those who are Married, or in Live together relationship. How often do you cook? In your marriage, who do the cooking in the family?

------------------------------------

I go first, for me in my marriage. I'm the one that do the cooking

I cook everyday. I live alone with a poodle; so if I don’t cook, I be starve... Everything is so expensive in California. And I work at a shi-tty job; after paying the Rent/Bills, there isn’t much money left for me to eat out everyday.

Well now married so added a husband, it more cooking for me. He works 12-14 hours everyday, so I’m doing all the cooking; which is fine, I love to cook.

Hubby work long hours shift, sometimes he work overnight too… On the days he get off work late; I would cook for him in the middle of the night so he can have he can have hot fresh meal to eat.

The other day as I was preparing his meal, putting food on the table for him. He hold my hands and kiss both of my hands. I can tell that he appreciate me for cooking him his late dinner.

He can cook though, since little he already is a very independent guy… Right now he working alot so we can have enough money for a house down-payment. So I voluntary do the cooking and cleaning around the house; at least that is something I can do for him as his wife.

• Like 3

I work, but get home earlier than my husband and kids. I cook dinner for my family Mon-Fri. On Sat and Sun, usually we go out to eat one day, and H often grills out the other day.

I know my husband appreciates coming home to a home cooked meal every day after work. He likes to cook breakfast for me on the weekend sometimes, too.

I hate to cook & I'm bad at it. DH is worse. We have standing out to dinner dates on Friday & Sunday. We usually have a party or get together with friends on Saturday so there's no need to cook then. I tried to make something that creates leftovers twice per week & then I'll heat up something frozen the other night for the week. Tonight we'll be having leftovers from last night's date.

toolforgrowth

When I was married I did all the cooking. My xWW cooked every once in a while, but I can name every dish she knew how to make to this day: spaghetti, potato soup, and chicken and wild rice soup. That's it. I had that damned chicken and wild rice soup so often that I grew to hate it. Lol

So I learned how to cook, grill, and bake. And I'm really good at it. My GF and I have an agreement: when she moves in this summer, I'll do the cooking and she'll do the dishes. I'm so on board with that. :)

• Like 1

In my first marriage my husband was a lazy $h!£ and his idea of cooking was cheese-on-toast or get a Chinese in. So I did most of the cooking and was really resentful about it. :mad:

My second husband spent years caring for an elderly relative before he met me, so he was capable of putting a reasonable meal together, including a Sunday roast dinner.

He can do basic other stuff and I do all the more advanced cookery.

Because he is a shift worker we often have to eat separately, but we work around that. In addition I run a business so I am not always available to cook for him.

It works fine.:)

I like cooking and my wife goes in spurts where she'll get into it and then lose motivation. I cook probably about 75% of the meals, always breakfast together, weekend lunches. A lot of times we collaborate on dinner so we can spend that time together.

Fortunately for us, it's never been a point of contention, because if both of us don't feel like making dinner, we make reservations! :bunny:

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

In my previous marriage, we shared all the "chores". Both my ex and I are great cooks and we enjoyed being in the kitchen. The rule in our house was whoever cooked, the other had to clean up the dishes. It was a great system.

In my current relationship, I tend to do most of the cooking but we also do a lot of cooking together. We are in a LDR so when we're together it's often anywhere from one week to four weeks at a time so it can feel like we're an old married couple sometimes :p

Although my new partner is comfortable in the kitchen and can technically cook, he's not nearly as skilled in the kitchen as my ex husband was or I am for that matter.

It works fine for us because I really do love to cook and love exploring new recipes especially being vegetarian/vegan, it's never dull around my house.

And I especially love it because he thinks everything I make is out of this world! How's that for an endorsement? :):):)

• Like 1

I typically cook more in the winter while he cooks in the summer (grill). He gets tired of my food easily though as he's a meat & potatoes guy, and I could eat pasta all day every day.

I should probably add that the two guys I lived with before I met DH were awesome cooks. Even if I managed to roast a chicken, they put together restaurant quality meals all the time which is why I rarely bothered to cook & never really learned.

I went to cooking school and one of our "arrangements" is that I don't have to be an income-earner in the relationship. The trade off of not having to work is that I provide healthy and tasty meals for the family.

It is a huge change for my husband's kids who were used to their Nanny's *really* mediocre food. My new family now eats fresh ingredients instead of boxed or frozen meals.

On our non-kid weeks, Hubby and I will go to farmers markets for specialty ingredients that he and I will prepare together. I also had the distinct advantage that when I was recently in the throws of writing a book (single-ingredient culinary history), my Husband was very supportive in helping with the cooking for his kids or bringing home Chinesr or Burritos.

In my current relationship, I tend to do most of the cooking but we also do a lot of cooking together.

Same with us, we make most meals together. I do main dish and bread/rolls, W does side dish and fruits/veggies, kids do clean-up. Living in SW, we grill 5-6 nights a week...

Mr. Lucky

50/50 here, my man used to work as a chef and a butcher, so he does most of the carving and chopping as he's so much better than I am at it.

He loves my cooking though, so we both cook.

We also have a lot of food we catch/grow/collect ourselves, fish, shellfish, fruit, veges & wild pork, goat, deer that hunter friends share with us.

When we lived in a suburban house a few years back, we'd often cook together. It was pretty fun, and, more importantly, the kitchen was big enough for two. :laugh:

We then rented a tiny urban apartment - the kitchen was awful. Truly, it was only made for one person to just reheat leftovers or fix a sandwich or something. It had a portable electric stove with two burners, a 2-feet long counter, and a sink. Microwave is on the top of the fridge... :lmao: I do still cook simple recipes (as does he), but it's pretty frustrating to cook there. And given that there's heaps of choices of really good, cheap, and authentic ethnic food a few blocks away in any direction (I'm talking real food, not greasy fried rice and 'general tso's chicken' which isn't even Chinese to begin with)... yeah, we ate out a lot more.

We'll be making another move soon, hopefully we'll find an affordable place that has a decent kitchen.

I do most of the cooking at the moment because we just moved and I didn't have a job for a while. Now I do I guess we'll go back to both doing a bit but I loathe cooking with every fibre of my being and wish I didn't have to at all. My husband is a huge eater and his food demands are just too much. When I was single I barely ever ate dinner so this having to plan a huge meal every night and not even have leftovers is insane to me, I've never had to think about something I hate so often in my life. The extra downside is I'm an amazing cook, what an annoying skill to have lol.

blackcat777

I LOVE to cook. I love that my man chops veggies and keeps me company. He insists on much of the cleaning up. We're usually at my place.

I love whenever we share meals. :love: It inspires me to go all out and cook fantastically extravagant and delicious things.

My boyfriend always makes sure, before we eat, that he lights a candle for romantic ambiance... sometimes, even when it's still light out. :laugh: Food time with the boyfriend is extremely happy time.

I do almost all the cooking. it was a necessity when the kids were little and she was traveling every week, and it just stuck after that.

it is also a way of communicating....it do not like to talk too much, and rather like to show my love with deeds/actions. cooking nice meals is one thing I like to do.

I cook.

I love good food. I love cooking. I consider myself pretty good damn good at it (if not quite as good as my mum)!

My wife's got great intentions but not always the...patience? for cooking. She's liable to get distracted half way through.

Plus my best friends a farmer, my brothers a fisherman/fishmonger, I do bits of work for them here and there. I don't really get much food from the supermarket most of our veggies come unwashed in wooden crates and sometimes we do get prepared meat but equally sometimes it can come kinda...butcher yourself. My wife didn't grow up in the country - i'll make a country girl out of her one step at a time, but half a lamb on the kitchen table is still a little out of her comfort zone.

I work a shift pattern 2 days on (09:00 - 18:00), 2 nights on (18:00- 9:00), 4 days off.

On my days off i'll go to town cooking, and probably make some pies/stews/etc that I or my wife, can put in the oven to cook on my first day shift when I get home late, and then we tend to have takeout on the second

When im working nights i'll eat at the station and my missus will cook for herself and the boys!

Not that we're creatures of habit of anything :laugh: ......most folk think im really laid back and easy going, but she always saw how much I actually plan and schedule stuff out - when we first met she swore she'd shake up my world, make me more spontaneous, funny really that the mostly the opposites been true!

She'll always wash up though! I hate washing up.

I love to cook! I do all of our cooking Monday thru Friday. He pays for take out every Sunday. Saturday depends...sometimes I cook and sometimes he takes us out to dinner.

I like to cook and do 95 percent of the cooking because he doesn't have time. However, H has his certain things that he insists on cooking himself, like omelets. His omelets turn out much better than mine do.

georgia girl

Interesting thread! We both cook. I cook very paleo - I tend to grill, use simple ingredients and lots of fruits and vegetables. My husband, on the other hand, could be a chef. He cooks very elaborate, well-prepared meals.

So, cooking at our house tends to be very situational. If he's got a busy week, I'll do more cooking. If I've got a busy week, he'll cook more. If we're both busy, we end up eating out more than we should.

The past few months, we've both tried cooking something "big" on Saturday and Sunday so that we'd have leftovers throughout the week so neither of us have to cook as often. Then, I'd cook again on Wednesday and he makes an awesome pizza (and beer) for Friday nights.

We also like to cook together sometimes. Usually, though, I'm more of the sous chef because my husband has an elaborate menu in mind. I don't mind. I also eat very well. :)

lookingforanswers12

Wife and I both cook.

We have a big cooking day every 2-3 weeks which helps keep food in the fridge freezer which we go through over a period of time. We also do a lot of relatively easy meals which dont involve cooking too long, maybe 15-20 minutes before the meal.

I cook everyday but friday. Friday we go out for dinner I do all the shopping and meal planning.

I would say that I do the majority of the "everyday" cooking. However, whenever we have family over or it's a special occasion, my boyfriend takes the role. He is a much better cook than me.