Happy marriages...

Another thread on here inspired me to ask for happily married people to share their stories. Please, no unhappy comments from people who's marriages ended badly.

1- how did you meet

2- why did you decide to get married

3- what is your favorite thing about being married

4- would you do it all again if you could

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
spelling corrections
  • Like 1

Maybe a good thing to piggy back on to this is any advice from happily married individuals on what they think has contributed to their marital happiness and any tips/practices that the two parties do continue nurturing the relationship. :D

1- how did you meet

On a university campus. Neither of us were students there at the time. Kismet.

We married at the point that we wanted to combine our lives and be family to each other. We were beginning to make personal sacrifices regarding job opportunities to put the couple first, and legal marriage seemed appropriate at that point.

Having the same partner at my side, through all stages of life, and the intimacy that affords.

YES!

Maybe a good thing to piggy back on to this is any advice from happily married individuals on what they think has contributed to their marital happiness and any tips/practices that the two parties do continue nurturing the relationship. :D

I recently read this article, and it resonated strongly with me. As the titles states:

Science says lasting relationships come down to—you guessed it—kindness and generosity.

• Like 1

marriage and happy in the same sentence....surely an oxymoron, and will explain why this thread hasn't blown up yet. Most people aren't married, and even if they were, they are busy looking for a little something something elsewhere

Well my advice, as I think we are very happy in our marriage, is keep doing things that you know means something to your spouse, bite your tongue when you want to snipe, and every day show appreciation.

And never stop appreciation each day what a gift a happy marriage is. Without nurturing it will die out. So feed that thing! :laugh:

And sex always soften the emotional edges. So have sex. ;)

1. We met at work. I couldn't stand him at first :laugh:

2. Within a month, I knew he was the one for me. I had met my match.

3. So many things.... But I guess always being there for him, him always being there for me is pretty close to top of the list

4. Absolutely :love:

Advice: Don't just hear, listen.

1) met in high school gym class 1991

2) got married after I graduated HS, he was a year ahead of me

3) I have someone to love who I can share all parts of my life with, who gets me, who loves me, flaws and all. I love the family we made together.

4) Yes, I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1
Another thread on here inspired me to ask for happily married people to share their stories. Please, no unhappy comments from people who's marriages ended badly.

1- how did you meet

1 - we met in a work-related context. I fancied him and spent about a year researching him before organising to meet up again - where we got together.

2 - we lived in different countries, and hold different nationalities. In order to live together for longer than 6 months (in his country) or three months (in mine) we needed to be married, so that he could get long term residency in my country, and me in his.

3 - it's not so much about being married, as it is about being together full-time, for me. The paper status of the R means nothing to me beyond the security of our living arrangements immigration-wise.... But what I love most about being together as we are, is having him around all day, every day, just being ourselves.

4 - in a heartbeat!

1. We met in a bar.

2. We decided to get married because we were in love, we were friends, we had similar values, we were compatible.

3. It's a wonderful peaceful, safe, solid, secure feeling, punctuated by burst of laughter.

4. Sort of. I'd get married again but I would change a few things about the wedding itself.

I just love threads like this!!! Thanks so much for starting it!

There's an interesting book, 30 Lessons for Loving: Advice from the Wisest Americans on Love, Relationships, and Marriage, that's about to be released. It's based on an extensive, longitudinal survey of 700 elderly couples. I've heard the author speak on the topic a few times, and there are useful nuggets for anyone who genuinely wants a long-lasting marriage.

• Like 2

1- how did you meet

We met at a Saturday morning group fitness session where we'd all go for breakfast afterwards. We were friendly acquaintances for about a year before he followed me on my Christmas mini-break and we had such a good time we became a couple.

It was very much a mutual decision and we talked about it a lot before the engagement. We make each other laugh like crazy, he takes his responsibilities in a relationship very seriously, we have similar outlooks and life goals and he's just someone I'd want to hang out with anyway. :laugh: I also really appreciate he treats me as his partner and equal.

Not having to do it on my own anymore! Plus I get to hang with my bestie all the time. We have such great adventures.

Yup. I'm even glad it took as long as it did for us to get together.

1- how did you meet

We worked together for 2 years before things clicked

Couldn't imagine life without her, she's the best person I've ever known

The life and family we've had together and our mutual enjoyment of it

Yes. The only thing I'd change would be to do it sooner

Mr. Lucky

1-We had a class together our sophomore year of high school. Flirted and hung out, but didn't start dating until jr. year. Been together ever since--21 years.

2-I wouldn't buy a house or have kids unless we were married and made that known to him. But I would've stayed with him married or not though.

3-Knowing that we have been to hell and back and have come through it together stronger. We may bicker about each other but I know it's ok...we're ok.

4-I would change a few things as long as I could end up exactly where I am now...

thirtysomethingteen

1- how did you meet

My marriage has had its share of bumps but we are still here and still committed to one another, so I will answer. :-)

1 - how did you meet

We met at a nightclub. My friend thought he was cute so I was trying to fix them up, but he preferred me.

Honestly? For some reason I had it in my head that I HAD to be married by the time I turned 30 so I pressured him. What a dumb thing to do. The irony? My husband thanks me for doing this all the time and says marrying me was the best thing he ever did and is so glad I pushed for it.

3- what is the best thing about being married

Having a best friend and a partner, someone you can count on it. Someone to come home to. Being a team. Having a financial partner - twice the income = 2x better lifestyle. Not romantic perhaps, but true.

4- Would you do it all again if you could

Yes and no. The doormat who put up with his crap earlier in our relationship no longer exists and if he were to ever treat me that way again he would be out on his ass before he could even blink. We talk about this a lot, and he feels that he had to see all he had to lose by being that a-hole which got us to where we are now...

So I guess no, I wouldn't change anything because I am so much stronger and smarter now. I also don't think we're as different from one another as I once did either...