When my parents would fight, one would usually yell, "the only way you're getting out of this marriage is in a coffin." It sounds harsh but it always made them both stop, calm down & remember the vows they made. They could still be mad but they stayed together.

When my parents would fight, one would usually yell, "the only way you're getting out of this marriage is in a coffin." It sounds harsh but it always made them both stop, calm down & remember the vows they made. They could still be mad but they stayed together.

If my ex had said that it would have been a very different proposition!! :eek:

• Like 1

I think a lot of people don't truly respect the vows of marriage anymore. The marriage takes a down turn and they aren't happy so they leave. That's fine, but if you don't respect what a marriage means then don't get married in the first place.

Most people I talk to about this say "but I didn't KNOW it was going to turn out like this". Duh, obviously not, hence the whole vow thing.

I pretty much believe marriage should only end if it is abusive. I would consider repeated cheating to be abusive.

• Like 2
I think a lot of people don't truly respect the vows of marriage anymore. The marriage takes a down turn and they aren't happy so they leave. That's fine, but if you don't respect what a marriage means then don't get married in the first place.

Most people I talk to about this say "but I didn't KNOW it was going to turn out like this". Duh, obviously not, hence the whole vow thing.

I pretty much believe marriage should only end if it is abusive. I would consider repeated cheating to be abusive.

I respected my vows until I got my ass kicked. And besides, I'm not the one who actually filed. Theory and reality don't always agree.

HokeyReligions

Hubby and I have said this many times. Especially early in the marriage. We never said completely in anger. It was always a way to end the argument because we both would laugh.

I did something similar with my mom when I was growing up. It ended our fight, or at least paused it long enough tor us to calm down. I would say "....well I was born into this family. You only married into it."

Lol! Mom taught it to MY kids, who used it with me a few times.

Infidelity is the only thing I can think of that would end my marriage. If hubby were to suddenly start beating me I'd get him to the hospital because something would be wrong.

If hubby were to suddenly start beating me I'd get him to the hospital because something would be wrong.

You can say that, but I doubt it. Not when Prophet Oprah Winfrey preaches her anti-abuse gospel and teaches women to leave their husbands if he so much as gives her a dirty look. That woman has more influence over modern American women than the Word of God, itself. I am not exaggerating. I say this in complete seriousness.

I respected my vows until I got my ass kicked. And besides, I'm not the one who actually filed. Theory and reality don't always agree.

Yes. You had an abusive marriage. So you and I are on the same page.

• Like 1
You can say that, but I doubt it. Not when Prophet Oprah Winfrey preaches her anti-abuse gospel and teaches women to leave their husbands if he so much as gives her a dirty look. That woman has more influence over modern American women than the Word of God, itself. I am not exaggerating. I say this in complete seriousness.

So...don't date a woman that watches and worshipes Oprah. Problem solved.

Anyone that worshipes Oprah or Dr. Phil have no idea what they're talking about. They;re both dogmatic and destructive to the family unit, in my opinion.

• Like 2
So...don't date a woman that watches and worshipes Oprah. Problem solved.

Anyone that worshipes Oprah or Dr. Phil have no idea what they're talking about. They;re both dogmatic and destructive to the family unit, in my opinion.

Wow. Truth be told.