Anger problems in marriage, EMDR Therapy is ing

CarboniteCammy

So, some of you may remember my last thread here. I struck my husband by slapping him in the back of the head after he threw water on me during a fight.

Due to the severity of my actions, I elected to start therapy. I found an excellent therapist and currently we're using EMDR to reprocess old and dark memories from my childhood. I don't necessarily want to get into all of it, but while growing up I suffered emotional and physical abuse from my mom and neglect from my dad. The only person who took a real interest in me was my grandma, and she died when I was 15.

While my therapist doesn't use eye based bilateral stimulation, she has me hold two vibrating joysticks. Last night, we reprocessed a particularly painful memory and already I'm starting to feel like a weight is being lifted.

My marriage is also already starting to improve. My husband says he has noticed I'm not as uptight and that I'm easier to talk to in general and that I don't get frustrated as quickly.

I still have alot to work through, but it's a start and for the first time in my life I feel that a door is opening for me and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to heal.

I know it's not much to report, but I'm thankful for the progress that has been made and wanted to let you all know.

• Like 5

I absolutely love hearing how people face their problems and work on fixing them. Not many people do that.

I applaud your willingness to fix something within you.

I think that makes you brave.

Good luck CC and I wish you continued success :)

• Like 3

Congratulations on acknowledging your weakness and hurts and seeking to heal and deal with them. Best wishes for continued improvement.

drpattijane

Sounds like a great start CarboniteCammy! Pulsers, or tactile "joysticks," work quite well, as you've experienced. Don't forget that grounding exercises are indispensable in everyday life, and really essential in stressful times. Anyone can use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro’s new book “Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR.” Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). Anyway, the book is terrific. It’s an easy read, helps you understand what’s “pushing” your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also teaches readers lots of helpful techniques that can be used immediately and that are also used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

• Author
CarboniteCammy

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. Reprocessing the memories is quite painful, but I can't continue to live my life this way and I feel that my old issues are holding me back from being a fufilled person.

I've done alot of reading on EMDR. I do have the book by Doctor Francine something and I'm currently reading it on my Kindle.

I have every desire to improve myself and again, I appreciate all of your feedback and kindness.