I am in relationship with my brother-in-law's (jiju's) niece (bhanji) from last 5 yrs

I am in relationship with my brother-in-law's (jiju's) niece (bhanji) from last five years. I will clarify the situation:

i) my brother-in-law (jiju) has a sister

ii) now the girl is daughter of my jiju's sister

I am 28 working in MNC at a descent position and she is 25 working in a medical firm as well as pursuing her master's. Both of us want to marry each other but our families are in complete opposition of our relationship.

They are saying that this girl will be my niece (bhanji) so we cannot marry each other. We discussed the matter with our families that we are from different families that are nowhere blood related. And it will be very tough for separation as we have spent a long time of five years in this relationship.

Does such a distant relationship in my case seems to be problemtic. I have seen many marriages in Hindu culture where boy & girl are distant related and are not in blood relation.

Is it still ok to go ahead with this relationship according to Hindu rituals & Indian legal system?

Please suggest I am in a fix?

Hi, I am confused.

Your brother in law but you are NOT married, so I assumed you mean one of you brothers or sisters is married into this family so you call him brother in law but really you should also call her sister in law then too right? So your sister in law from a siblings marriage has a daughter and you are in a relationship with her. The rules are funny. If one of your family has married into this family then usually there is no problem with another sibling marrying into the same level of this family ie two brothers from one family marry two sisters from another family. This is allowed and I have seen it in the most orthodox families even over a 5 and 15 year period. As for blood line well as long as it wasnt messed before it wont be messed again.

The odd part is that she is actually the siblings sibling so from your use of family terms your niece. Whilst I cannot see anything wrong blood wise and personally, the families have to agree and as you must have big age gaps in the family so that you can be at the same age level as your niece you need to seek their guidance as to why its wrong. Some may see it as an abuse of trust some may just be uneasy as uncle is a proud term to have. If the familys cannot agree then you either have to accept this and keep family solidarity for the sake of the extended family. If moving away is a real option with no comeback on the others then this could be an option too.

My personal advice is to side with your family here