I hate my wifes Tattoo

UnHappy in NH

My wife, a woman to whom I have been married to for 10 years, recently surprised me by coming home with a new tattoo on her back. She is a mother of my 2 beautiful children, and was 2 days away from having her 34th birthday. She did not discuss the fact that she was going in to get this tattoo, but expected me to be as happy with it as she was when she showed it to me at home. The tattoo is 2 Chinese letters, which supposedly are the symbol for Serenity. I had not know that she was interested in the Chinese language, and she claims that she isn't, but that the symbols spoke to her? Personally I think that it looks awful, trashy and rather gangsters. It pokes out from the waistband of her pants, and she constantly seems to be trying to find a way to bend down to show it off to friends and guests. I have been having a hard time accepting this new mark on her, and quite frankly don't understand what would compel her to get one, especially that particular design, I mean at least get something attractive or even artistic was my initial response to it. Do you think this is an indication that something is going on in her life that I should be aware of? Is she changing into a new person? Is she rebelling against the family and me? Please help

Just sounds like your average mid-life crisis to me!

I don't think there's any cause for alarm. After the novelty wears off she'll forget its even there and stop bending over in front of your friends. Meanwhile, I suppose you'll just have to start brushing up on your Chinese.

There is one poster here who will certainly appreciate your angst. He's posted several rants on how much he hates tattoos!

Meanwhile, I'm still busy trying to convince my own sweetie he doesn't need another tattoo or piercing to stand out in a crowd. But I hear the darn things are pretty addicting for those who consider them art!

It's just something that makes her happy and feel cool. She probably has gotten tired of always being perceived as "plain old mom". It's the same reason people buy flashy vehicles, get new haircuts/wardrobes.

Get used to it, because it doesn't rub off.

Take another honeymoon. Sounds like you two could use some chillin and being kids again.

Not the worst, though. I've met a guy whose Chinese Tattoo says: Evil Soul. And a woman's was "Delicious Food".:p Your wife's sounds much better.

Hope you are not so angry now. :(

I am not too crazy about tattoos on women either.

I myself have always wanted to get one but never knew what to get written on me for life.

Sounds to me as though she is trying to seem younger.

I'd bet anything that those symbols on her back don't really mean "serenity". Just like in Japan or China, where English gets horribly disfigured, the same with Japanese and Chinese happens HERE.

For all I know your wife's tattoo may be declaring her as a soup spoon.

It's just a little silly. Hopefully if you ask her what you want to know, or express to her how you feel and why you feel that way she will open up to you.

Originally posted by faux

Sounds to me as though she is trying to seem younger....

maybe she wants be called: "Your Serene Highness!" :)

Originally posted by faux

For all I know your wife's tattoo may be declaring her as a soup spoon.

could be a pair of Chopsticks!

But seriously, it's a good idea you directly ask her why she got herself a tattoo.

What's done is done, you'd better release your anger and be playful. From now on, call her "your serenity". having a sense of humour is the only way out now.

:)