Would it make you mad if your spouse.....

Okay, here's the situation. My hubby has mentioned here and there forever about how he'd like to go to Vegas. Our wedding anniversary is in March (St. Patty's Day :D) I was thinking of booking a hotel/flight(expedia unless someone knows of a better site??) for 3 days/2 nights and suprising him with it. Id like to get his boss in on it and make him think he has to work and then show up with suitcases and tickets :D

Now, would it tick you off if your spouse spent that kind of money without consulting you first? Tickets and hotel is gonna run me around 800-900 ~ but the last thing I want to do is make him mad that I did it "behind his back". Whatcha think?

I know what you mean! I am a woman, and have only been married 9 months, but I would love it if my husband did that for me. I think that if I did something like that for him, it would make him very happy. I don't know your financial situation, but if it won't hurt you too badly, then go for it. What's $800? If you have a Credit card, you can pay it off slowly. Also, he's mentioned that he wants to do it, so I would say go for it! Sounds like a wonderful suprise!

I don't know your husband, though. If you think he might get angry, or if he doesn't like suprises, I would just discuss it with him, and tell him that you are going to do it. That way, he won't be suprised. I doubt he'll try and talk you out of it.

HAVE FUN!!! Great idea!

Hmmmm...I'm not sure about this one, either. It really does depend on each person and whether they like surprises. What if he also does a surprise for you at the same time?? I would play safe and discuss it first.

HurtinginVA, it really depends on your financial situation. I don't like the idea of using the credit card if you don't have the $$ to do it. Also, you're talking $800-900 without factoring in food, entertainment, etc. Most marital problems are caused by finances so you're the only one who can judge how he might react. I suppose one way to guage his reaction would be to think back about his reaction to other financial expenditures. Does he often say things like "I'd really like to buy this, but we really can't afford it." Does he focus on the $$ often? Do you think HE'LL see the money as well spent? If so, go for it as a surprise. If not, "suggest" to him that you buy a joint gift of a trip to Vegas. No presents for the anniversary, just a nice trip together.

I know you are working very hard to save your marriage, but I would be hesitant about it simply because of the "surprise" he pulled on you. You are striving for honest communication and no secrets and even though this is a happy surprise and something that you are doing to strengthen your marriage -- it is still a secret of sorts.

Is your marriage at a point where you are confident that the surprise would be okay? That's a lot of money you are talking about. Plus, with the reconstruction of your marriage your spouse might have some ideas too about how to celebrate the anniversary.

While I would really appreciate the gesture if my spouse did that for me, I would rather know about that kind of expenditure in advance and be in on the planning of it. But that is just me.

My inlaws flew to Vegas for a week, stayed in a nice hotel, and even with food and gambling it did not cost them that much. I think they got some kind of package thru a hotel or travel agent and it was $450 total for flight & hotel - but that was last summer -- I don't know what specials they may have going on now.

I would only like something like this if we had enough money so that doing this wouldn't really make a difference to our finances. We'd have to be talking about $20 or less for this to be the case, LOL!

On the other hand, my husband would like it. He doesn't worry about money and would be thrilled that I'd made plans for us to have some special time together.

I don't know how close you guys are to an airport...but if you do some packaged 'net shopping'....you should be able to find a much better deal than that!!! Go to the major airlines and look under their 'inclusive packages' to Vegas. I found one last year from FLORIDA which was hotel and air for only $369 a person.

Before I worked for the Navy.....I used to work for British Airways and there is ALWAYS a better deal....if you know how to look for it. Also, travel agents are free. Check in with one. Out of New York....you should get a great deal.

I found one as low as $287 for airfare and hotel. I don't know your dates. Since we don't post commercial sites on here....I'll send it to you PM. There are TONS of links for inclusive packages. :)

Originally posted by BadMan

How do they make thier money then????

Commissions (pitifully low) from the airlines, hotels, etc.

agreed with all above. gauge your money situation first. if ok, then get it, but get travel insurance that allows you to cancel with substantial refund if he doesn't like the expense.

• 1 month later...

whatever you do...don't take the advise from the "finacial expert" telling you to put in on a credit card and pay it off slowly. if you don't have the money...you don't spend. Otherwise you will be posting a sob story about your money problems and how your husband left you.