Preferential dating towards people in your career field???

I may have chosen the wrong area to pose this question, but here goes.

I have found myself more and more leaning towards wanting to be with women in my relative career field. I'm not sure why, I can only wonder. I think it has to do with the way our children would be raised, which things in life would be emphasized or have importance, and over all the goal and purpose of our career being intertwined.

I see the value in being with someone with a different type of skill sets, and dating outside your career field, which would diversify the knowledge in your future family - but I see even more value in being with a woman that understands/shares my struggles, is comfortable with the lifestyle, and has the same kind of knowledge as me. Maybe this is just something I'm going through briefly and will grow out of eventually, but I don't think so. I think it's just my tastes getting more specific and learning more about myself as I mature.

My attraction in women is gravitating more and more towards females who are in my field, or one relative to it.

Thoughts?

Anyone else experience this?

Anyone else dating or married to someone in the same career field? (baring dating co-workers, that's an entirely different story)

By the way, my field is Medical/EMS, if that makes any difference on your input.

Thanks!

We have degrees in the same field, but i dont work in that field. And this is not why I chose him... Yes, it gives more points of interest; he will talk about his job and i will understand him but...other than that...it is not what makes him the greatest guy!

NowhereToHide

Well, personally I think compatibility is a many-faceted thing.

I met my H through work -- we worked in an industry where 18 hour days were commonplace, so there were many office romances to say the least. And I will say that it has been a positive on so many levels. I've since changed careers, but it is helpful for him to come home to someone who completely understands the nuances of his job. I get how his field operates. I understand completely the pressures he faces.

In many ways, marrying someone in the same field just makes life easier. There's a mutual understanding and basis from which to work.

However, I will say now (from experience) that I don't think it guarantees success. To do it all over again, I would have looked harder at what I truly needed to be happy -- THEN I would have seen if it was available from someone in my field. If not, I would have moved on.

Hope that helps.