Anyone else feel like men get less out of relationshisp than women?

newtoloveshac

-Men have the burden of asking women out. Women don't have to deal with rejection.

-Men are questioned by her male relatives. Doesn't apply to women.

-Men are instantly protective to female crying. Male crying invites women to make fun of men.

-Men are more affectionate. During cuddling men hold women and give them a safe protected feeling, a feeling which no man ever got from a woman except his mother.

-Men have to put women's needs first

-All the decision making responsbility falls on the man but he still needs to put her first.

-Men's sacrfices are harder and men make more sacrfices.

-Women are allowed to hit men.

-Women treat men like subpar humans and demand chivalry.

-During sex men do most of the work.

-Foreplay is more about the woman.

-The average woman does not bring her man to multiple orgasms.

-Men intiate sex more.

-Men sexually desire women more han vice versa.

-Men give more foot rubs and massages than they take.

-Men give more security than they take.

-Women accidentally hurt men in the testicles and laugh. A man accidentally elbowing a woman's breasts wouln't laugh.

-Men care for all women, women care for a few men if that.

-Men have to drive on vacations and give up sleep.

-Holidays are about her.

-Women are human beings, men are human doings.(warren farrell)

-She has no responsbility to him after the marriage has broken up.

-Women marry up. The man is ALWAYS ALWAYS the better half.

-Women are not funny or have no real desire to make men laugh or smile.

-The dirty housework as well as hard labor is his.

-Men have to pay on dates and drive.

-Men have to protect women. This is the MOST unfair one.

-Men are easier to deal with.

-Women are more needy. Men are self sufficent. Men can do more things than women.

-Women withold sex.

-Women are more selective so end up marrying up.

-Men are more loyal and faithful. Men don't get hit on as much etc

-Men have less sex partners.

-Men are more nurtruing. Women share more problems, take more emotional support and are emotionally weaker. men comofort the woman during a mutual crisis. The man is the stable emotional rock not vice versa.

-Men have to provide for women and miss out on time with their kids.

-Men have to propose. Only women get engagement gifts.

-Women are passive and receptive and don't have to do much.

-Women take other women's sides first.

-Love doesn't inspire women to do great things.

-Men sleep on the unsafe side of the bed.

-Women are never the ones to pursue men. Have you EVER heard of a relationship where the woman did more of the pursuing than he did?

-Men must make the first kiss and say "I love you" first. So many things are unreciprocated by women.

-Women get a feeling of safety when out with a man.

-Most men would give up their life for a woman. There is an unwritten rule that says men must bear 100% (and not 50%) of the burden, stress and danger.

-Women don't comepete for men and get aggressive over men. They don't physically fight over them.

-Men earn more money , women spend more money

-Forget where I read this but apparently women are more delicate and worthy of MORE (yes MORE) consideration and care than men.

-Also I read women fall in love faster but men fall in love harder. So once again men love harder. Falling in love faster shows how fickle a woman's love is.

Overall men give more to women than vice versa. Men take care of women , women take care of children seems to be true.

All this in adiditon to so many legal advantages and safety nets for women.

The Manipulated Man (1971)

The Manipulated Man was quite popular at the time of its release, in part due to the considerable press coverage it received. The author Esther Vilar also appeared on The Tonight Show to discuss the book. Controversy surrounding the book's main tenets led to the author receiving death threats in connection with them. In fact, comparative to Salman Rushdie's experience, she has reported that she has received decades of scorn:

So I hadn't imagined broadly enough the isolation I would find myself in after writing this book. Nor had I envisaged the consequences which it would have for subsequent writing and even for my private life - violent threats have not ceased to this date.

- Esther Vilar, August 1998

The main idea behind the book is that women are not oppressed by men, but rather control men in a relationship that is to their advantage but which most men are not aware of.

Some of the strategies described in her books are:

* Lure men with sex, using Seduction Strategies. As her famous quote goes:

"Men have been trained and conditioned by women, not unlike the way Pavlov conditioned his dogs, into becoming their slaves. As compensation for their labours men are given periodic use of a woman's vagina."

Young boys are encouraged to be sexually uninhibited and associate their masculinity with their ability to be sexually intimate with a woman. Young girls however are raised to be sexually inhibited, and trained to believe that their self-image is negatively affected by sexual intimacy with men. As a result, girls grow up in an environment where men are actively and openly desiring sex, while women are not. A woman thus socially empowers herself to be the gate-keeper to a man's sense of masculinity.

Young boys are also discouraged from masturbation by the use of guilt and shame (ie. "I guess you're going back home to your hand tonight"), while girls face no such negative emotions with masturbation. This form of emotional chastity is an attempt to cause men to shirk away from masturbation as a form of sexual release, and seek it exclusively with women. The motive for such an attempt comes from the fact that "sexual intimacy" (male desire) is on a lower priority than "security of resources" (female desire). However, "sexual release" is on a higher priority than both. Therefore, it is an attempt to shift power from men to women by limiting male sexual release via women exclusively.

Seemingly innocuous statements act as a means for women to conditionally engage in sexual intimacy as either reward or punishment for good or bad behavior; as opposed to simply pleasing the needs of one's partner. Women contend that they will be able to have sex when "in the mood", but will be unable to do so when "not in the mood". However, these statements are more clearly noted as "when you behave the way I want, then I'm in the mood and you will be rewarded with sex" and "when you don't behave the way I want, then I'm not in the mood and you will be punished by me withholding sex". Therefore, they simply act as a means of controlling their partner and conditioning their behavior to cater to their needs.

* Use praise to control men by administering it carefully.

From a very early age, men are conditioned by both girls and their mothers to conform to social definitions and norms which women construct with their needs in mind. These definitions have one common element; they overplay the notion of a girl being emotionally and physically weaker than a boy, and a man being stronger than a woman. As a result, they use this excuse to give license to a woman to construct rules between the sexes that cater exclusively to her needs while ignoring any male needs.

The most common example is that of chivalry, dating etiquette and manners; all of which mandate that a man cater exclusively to a woman's needs while ignoring his own. A man is expected to first approach a woman, initiate a date, and initiate more intimate contact while bearing all risk of rejection. A man is also expected to pay for the cost of dating and maintaining the relationship, help a woman out of a car, open her door, take her coat, pull out her chair, help her sit, walk behind her while walking up the stairs in the event she falls, walk on the traffic-side of the sidewalk, and help her in other things she could normally do by herself. When a man does this, he is rewarded with praise by being called a "gentleman" or "well-mannered" and "knowing how to treat a woman". However, when he fails to cater exclusively to her needs, he is not praised, and in some instances is even scolded or vilified.

When a man sacrifices his personal life and passions so that his wife may stay home while he works to provide the costs of a household all by himself, he is rewarded with praise by being called "a good husband". However, if the man were to do the same thing as the wife, he would be called "a loser" or "a lazy bum".

When a man helps with the burden of household chores and raising the children, he is called a "good father". However, if he is the sole working parent and he does not help out with the children, he is labeled a "bad father".

Praise is never given to a man when he accomplishes something that does not cater to a woman's needs. Praise is only given to a man when a woman's needs are met in some way. Otherwise, any activity that does not cater to her needs is not praiseworthy.

* Use emotional blackmail as a means of controlling men.

Boys are discouraged from crying, and learn to control their tear ducts at a very early age. When an event causes a man to cry, it is because the emotional reaction makes it impossible for him to control his tear ducts. However, girls are not discouraged from crying, and can control their tear ducts much the same way any person can control their bladder to pee when desired. Therefore, when men see extreme emotion in women, they believe that this emotion is real as opposed to artificial (acting/fake).

As a result, women will often engage in displays of overly-dramatized emotional reactions to attempt to control men and get their way; much the same way they did as children when they were little girls. These displays include crying, whining, yelling, nagging, and being distant and silent until their demands are met.

By the same token, women will often try and make a man feel ashamed, bad or guilty for behavior that the woman does not agree to. For instance, if a man does not comply to her set of dating rules, she might call him a "jerk" or label him "cheap". She may try to vilify him and make him feel bad about his sexuality. She will scold him for seeing other women, but will expect him to "wait until she's ready" before they have sex. This is an attempt to make certain that the man has no other means to sex or sexual intimacy but her, and then, to sexually starve him and use sex as a reward for good behavior; such as saying "I love you" or making a relationship official and other acts of commitment. She may even tell him that she has a one month rule, and if he will not agree to that, then he "doesn't respect her"; as this allows her to ignore his desires and rid herself of any pressure to respect him.

Women will also assert a sense of moral superiority over men in an attempt to suggest that all things female are right and all things male are wrong. References to the violent tendencies of a few men will be used to support such an argument. However, careful examination of the entire male population clearly fails to lend such support to an argument that depends on cherry-picking. An overall view of the entire female population on the other hand shows perversion of sex as a tool to be used in a manner identical to a prostitute, selfishness, self-serving intentions and motives, lack of care or consideration for their romantic partner, a disgusting lack of empathy and love, laziness, lack of genuine ambition and thirst for creativity and knowledge. Nevertheless, men are conditioned from a very early age to agree to the view as women as "the fairer sex".

* Use of love and romance as a guise to mask her real intentions and motives.

Women will often refer to tradition and concepts of love and romance to get men to comply to their demands. Since concepts of love and romance are associated with "goodness" and "morality", while sex is labeled "bad", "dirty" and "immoral"; women condition men to consider female needs an unquestionable priority, while viewing sex as a favor women do for men.

A woman will want a man to be exclusive to her in a relationship, not because she cares about losing him to an other woman, but because she wants to more easily control him. The conditional statements she makes are designed to be unquestioned, morally sound, and mask her real intentions under the guise of love. "If you love me, then you won't have sex with an other woman". She is not interested in exclusivity so much as her being the only one he can turn to for sex and sexual intimacy. If his actions cause her grip over him to weaken, she makes him feel guilty by feigning that he has emotionally hurt her and labeling him a "cheater".

Men are also trained from a very early age to view marriage as the ultimate goal of any relationship. However, a man has nothing to gain from marriage. It is instead left unexamined by men, why they should take pride in asking a woman to marry him. Women simply contend that it is the ultimate gesture of true love, and that nothing could be more romantic. In an effort to please women and cater to her happiness, men feel a strong desire to get married. However, a woman's goals are different.

Marriage is simply a way of making it nearly impossible for her workhorse (man) to leave her, and allow her to no longer put in the effort of trying to keep him around. She wants the legal right to half of his assets and income, and support for the children should he decide to leave her. When men try and cater to her romantic desire for marriage under the guise of love but try and isolate it to just love and no financial or legal aspects involved (ie. a pre-nupt), a woman will always object. She will do her best to hide behind the guise of love and romance, claiming "if you really love me, then you won't need one" and "it's unromantic, there is no yours and mine, just ours". However, her intentions are anything but romantic. She wants security, the financial and legal security that a marriage with no pre-nupt provides her.

A revised version of the book is currently in print. Her play Speer (1998) is a work of fictional biography about the German architect and has been staged in Berlin and London, directed by and starring Klaus Maria Brandauer. She has also written many other books and plays, but most have not been translated into English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Vilar

Just take one sentence and refute it. There are enough women here on LS to pick that apart 100 times over :)

I've been around enough unhealthy women (the unhealthy rescuer instinct I have) to know that at least some of it is true, for some women, especially the lack of affection part. The affectionate women must currently be living on another planet. I'm now building that rocket ship ;)

Bull, carhill.

There are affectionate women all over this world. Women LONGING to give their affection away. Women who are lonely and shy and not the most beautiful or the slimmest or the brightest - but who are loving and gentle and caring and self-possessed and affectionate.

Just like there are guys out there who are just like that, too.

Refute one of his statements? They aren't truly refutable, as they are simply words strung together with no basis. I can post counter-arguments to them, though.

-Women have the burden of being asked out. Men get to be active, rather than wait by a phone and wonder why it never rings.

-Women are questioned by all of their relatives, as they wonder what is wrong with you that you don't have a BF or husband yet. Doesn't apply to men.

-Men are immediately suspicious of a female crying. Women would love to see a man cry on occasion, as it would prove that he has a deep and caring heart, rather than be a Neanderthal who grunts his pain.

-Women are more affectionate. During cuddling men hold women with a view that it will lead to sex or a blowjob. Women love to hold hands on the street, but men are more inclined to use their hands for pocket pool.

-Women have to put men's needs first, as men are incapable of finding car keys, fixing a sandwich, or putting a plate in the dishwasher.

-All the decision making responsibility falls on the woman but she still needs to put his ego first, or he will feel unmanly if he doesn't decide which washing machine to purchase.

-Women's sacrifices are harder; they often have to choose between a career and motherhood, and men are always threatened when a woman makes more money than he does. She also has to give up time with her friends, as men get very upset and suspicious when she leaves the house without them.

-Women don't hit men, because they are ineffectual fighters and weak. Men hit women, because they know that even if the woman calls the cops, then he can come back later and kick her ass AND rape her, and she won't call a second time.

Want me to go on??

Does Bells have a new handle? ;)

What are you trying to get over? Reality?

Here's one reality to try on for size..... The person who cares the least has the most control. Thoughts?

• Author
newtoloveshac

Here's one reality to try on for size..... The person who cares the least has the most control. Thoughts?

That's women. Why do you think the initiate the divorces.

Bull, carhill.

LOL, the bull's next door and he has blue balls ;)

There are affectionate women all over this world. Women LONGING to give their affection away. Women who are lonely and shy and not the most beautiful or the slimmest or the brightest - but who are loving and gentle and caring and self-possessed and affectionate.

I have personally met very few in my lifetime. I watch carefully for such things. I'm not talking about women who are affectionate with me, but rather with their loved ones, like husbands, BF's etc., whether in public or private (not the bedroom of course). One dynamic related to me (by women) over the years is that, stereotypically, men perceive affection as sexual interest (they sexualize affection) and women are mindful of that and of sending the wrong signals.

Since I can't control how women act, I can only control which women I interact with. Hence, work continues on the rocket ship :)

I don't know how to get over this.

In truth, I don't know how to help you.

But I do KNOW and believe this with every muscle in my heart. The world is FULL of wonderful and loving people of both sexes.

There are also people out there who are twisted, manipulative and/or cruel. And it takes practice and time to see what they are, and many times we get hurt, and some people lose hope and others do not.

There are SO many people out there who are lonely and want to be loved for themselves - not for their looks or for their outgoing personalities. It takes time to find them, and it takes courage to look and it takes courage to open yourself up to them for possible rejection - or for possible love.

My sister and I are very close to each other, but definite opposites. I am slender, she is heavy. I am outgoing, she is shy. I am spontaneous, she is a planner. I am bright, she is someone who has to study to learn. I am athletic, she is not. I am active, she is not. i have had scores of BFs, she has had 2 since college.

And.....I am divorced from a marriage at the age of 22. She married for the first time at age 44, deeply and passionately in love with an overweight man with no butt who treats her like a princess. She had had no dates for 8 years when she met him. SHE has found true love - the love that doesn't notice looks or weight or ability to crack a witty joke in 1.7 seconds flat at a cocktail party. She found a man who adores her, and that she adores in return.

So in my books, she's the lucky one, she's the catch, she's the woman I envy.

For you, OP, I would suggest counseling, and I would definitely suggest reading positive and upbeat things, rather than negative crap that just feeds your own fears and your own insecurities.

(((((newotloveshak)))))

That's women. Why do you think the initiate the divorces.

I was the one to bring up divorce in and out of MC and have been the one taking positive steps to effect it. What does that say about me as a man? While I might superficially identify with much of the OP, that means that I lost control of my life. That's my responsibility, not a woman's. They've got their own lives to live.

LOL, the bull's next door and he has blue balls ;)

Wish I could help you out with that! ;)

I have personally met very few in my lifetime. I watch carefully for such things. I'm not talking about women who are affectionate with me, but rather with their loved ones, like husbands, BF's etc., whether in public or private (not the bedroom of course). One dynamic related to me (by women) over the years is that, stereotypically, men perceive affection as sexual interest (they sexualize affection) and women are mindful of that and of sending the wrong signals.

What are you considering affection? Touching someone on the shoulder or back, leaning into them while walking or sitting, holding hands? Those things I do, but I am not a hugger in public, nor a kisser - and I consider myself to be very affectionate. But at home, I will put my head in his lap, or lay on the couch beside him to watch a movie, grab his butt when he passes me in the kitchen - but not in public.

I don't like PDAs, as many times they make the lonely among us more lonely.

I do think you are right about the sexual dynamic, though; women will sometimes withhold affectionate touch if they believe that their partner only shows affectionate touch when there is an expectation of sex. I've had a BF like that - he wasn't affectionate at all unless it was time to get down to business, so I just stopped initiating affectionate contact unless I was ready for intercourse.

• Author
newtoloveshac
In truth, I don't know how to help you.

But I do KNOW and believe this with every muscle in my heart. The world is FULL of wonderful and loving people of both sexes.

There are also people out there who are twisted, manipulative and/or cruel. And it takes practice and time to see what they are, and many times we get hurt, and some people lose hope and others do not.

There are SO many people out there who are lonely and want to be loved for themselves - not for their looks or for their outgoing personalities. It takes time to find them, and it takes courage to look and it takes courage to open yourself up to them for possible rejection - or for possible love.

My sister and I are very close to each other, but definite opposites. I am slender, she is heavy. I am outgoing, she is shy. I am spontaneous, she is a planner. I am bright, she is someone who has to study to learn. I am athletic, she is not. I am active, she is not. i have had scores of BFs, she has had 2 since college.

And.....I am divorced from a marriage at the age of 22. She married for the first time at age 44, deeply and passionately in love with an overweight man with no butt who treats her like a princess. She had had no dates for 8 years when she met him. SHE has found true love - the love that doesn't notice looks or weight or ability to crack a witty joke in 1.7 seconds flat at a cocktail party. She found a man who adores her, and that she adores in return.

So in my books, she's the lucky one, she's the catch, she's the woman I envy.

For you, OP, I would suggest counseling, and I would definitely suggest reading positive and upbeat things, rather than negative crap that just feeds your own fears and your own insecurities.

(((((newotloveshak)))))

Most men don't hit women or rape them. But most men do protect.

How is staying at home a burden?

Anyways what does that say about women?

That women no matter how many bad qualities can get a man to treat them like a princess? And how does she treat him?

Better yet how many men who are overweight, shy, not spontaneous, not naturally inteeligent, unathletic, hasn't scored with many women and manages to find a woman who treats him like a king?

In some ways I do find this interesting.

I made a new friend on the train the other day who is a Psychiatric Nurse. We spent the journey discussing mainly the male mind. We concluded that many men are more vulnerable in many respects because typically men have no other outlet than to think that their view of the world is reality. Whereas many women can call upon a range of emotional strategies that are more socially accepted for her than if a man were to display them.

Aside from that, I think the OP does sound rather hurt/disgruntled.

I suppose I can take the perspective that if I were a man I would be highly cautious of women because most are manipulative.

Take care,

Eve xx

That women no matter how many bad qualities can get a man to treat them like a princess? And how does she treat him?

Getting a man and keeping a man are two very different things (and the reverse holds true as well).

What are you considering affection?
Little things.... caresses, light and appropriate kisses upon greeting, body language which conveys emotional attachment.

My best friend's wife is a great example of the positive. She always moves (meaning proactively) to greet their friends with affection (hugging and kissing) and does so with her husband as well. She shows the same open love for children and animals. I notice marked differences between proactive and reactive affection. Maybe it's just how I see the world that is so different.

OP, IMO, it is simply fear which drives the 'less'. Fear of being alone. Fear of the unknown. One will simply accept less because they fear more. I've lived that. It's very unhealthy. We all have a choice :)

Most men don't hit women or rape them. But most men do protect.

How is staying at home a burden?

Anyways what does that say about women?

Most women don't hit men, either. Most men do protect their families and their loved ones. So do most women.

And WHO mentioned staying at home?

Better yet how many men who are overweight, shy, not spontaneous, not naturally inteeligent, unathletic, hasn't scored with many women and manages to find a woman who treats him like a king?

Ok. #1. Learn to read. "That woman" is my sister. #2 My brother-in-law is overweight, shy, not spontaneous, unathletic, hasn't scored with a lot of women and has found a woman (my sister) who treats him like a king.

But the biggest thing is in bold print. "No matter how many bad qualities" Who said that any of my sister's qualities are bad? Why are you automatically assuming that her being overweight is bad? Why is her being unathletic or active bad? Why is her being shy bad? Why is being of average intelligence bad?

Are you expecting too much from women? Are you automatically rejecting every woman who doesn't fit in with your stylized ideal of a woman? Could THIS be why you can't find love, because you are overlooking anyone who doesn't fit your idea of "good" rather than of "bad"?

I will likely actually read the OP entirely later, but wanted to respond to the OP's logic about why women file for divorce more often.

The question was asked if men were getting less out of relationships than men as it seems that the OP feels that is usually the case. Well, if that were true, wouldn't men be the ones filing for divorce more often?

I feel for you OP. I agree with whomever said you would greatly benefit from discussing your women issues with a qualified therapist. Dwelling on this negative stuff doesn't bode well for your future relationships.

Very true! At least untill the person who cares the most gives up and moves on.

I know this was meant for the OP, but I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.

Trialbyfire

I could deconstruct that list but don't have the energy or inclination to do so. All I will say as a person in a happy relationship, is that my SO feels he's a lucky man and I feel I'm a lucky woman. You're welcome to take that any way you want, OP. :)

• Author
newtoloveshac
Wish I could help you out with that! ;)

What are you considering affection? Touching someone on the shoulder or back, leaning into them while walking or sitting, holding hands? Those things I do, but I am not a hugger in public, nor a kisser - and I consider myself to be very affectionate. But at home, I will put my head in his lap, or lay on the couch beside him to watch a movie, grab his butt when he passes me in the kitchen - but not in public.

I don't like PDAs, as many times they make the lonely among us more lonely.

I do think you are right about the sexual dynamic, though; women will sometimes withhold affectionate touch if they believe that their partner only shows affectionate touch when there is an expectation of sex. I've had a BF like that - he wasn't affectionate at all unless it was time to get down to business, so I just stopped initiating affectionate contact unless I was ready for intercourse.

Putting your head in his lap doesn't make you affectionate. That's the equivalent of saying eating food makes you a good cook.

Ok, I will still say that I do find the subject of 'mens studies' an exciting new field of study - as disussed with the new friend I mentoned earlier. Although I remain unsure whether the OP would be interested in analysing his raw statements within a less emotionally fuelled arena.. in order to get to the roots of many of the experiences of men/his own experiences. But I always think powerfully charged statements do have a real substance and place, its just finding a way of expression which is enabling instead of disabling.

.. But this is LS and so the statements were probably just to get a rise out of women.. shame really. I do see a form of stagnation within many men and I have wondered if women are in fact now limiting men by their relatively new found political strength..

Take cae,

Eve xx

Putting your head in his lap doesn't make you affectionate. That's the equivalent of saying eating food makes you a good cook.

Do you think you might want to explain this, as it made no sense?

• Author
newtoloveshac
Do you think you might want to explain this, as it made no sense?

Someone said it on the previous page. proactive vs reactive affection. you're letting him show you affection towards you, not showing him affection towards you.

• Author
newtoloveshac
Ok, I will still say that I do find the subject of 'mens studies' an exciting new field of study - as disussed with the new friend I mentoned earlier. Although I remain unsure whether the OP would be interested in analysing his raw statements within a less emotionally fuelled arena.. in order to get to the roots of many of the experiences of men/his own experiences. But I always think powerfully charged statements do have a real substance and place, its just finding a way of expression which is enabling instead of disabling.

.. But this is LS and so the statements were probably just to get a rise out of women.. shame really. I do see a form of stagnation within many men and I have wondered if women are in fact now limiting men by their relatively new found political strength..

Take cae,

Eve xx

No I didn't do this to get a rise out of women.

• Author
newtoloveshac
In some ways I do find this interesting.

I made a new friend on the train the other day who is a Psychiatric Nurse. We spent the journey discussing mainly the male mind. We concluded that many men are more vulnerable in many respects because typically men have no other outlet than to think that their view of the world is reality. Whereas many women can call upon a range of emotional strategies that are more socially accepted for her than if a man were to display them.

Aside from that, I think the OP does sound rather hurt/disgruntled.

I suppose I can take the perspective that if I were a man I would be highly cautious of women because most are manipulative.

Take care,

Eve xx

What strategies are those? I wouldn't be surprised if women have it better here too.

Men needed equality more than vice versa.