moving out, moving in...

i am currently living with my parents, who i am very close with but feel that i need a break from. i plan on moving out in about 7 months, but have not yet found a place to live (though i have looked at local apartment complexes, i haven't found any roommates). i've been with my boyfriend for almost 3 months now, and although we've only been together for a short while, i think that we have a very strong relationship and a lot of time ahead of us. he also is hoping to get his own place soon and has a couple friends (who i get along with really well) who would be his roommates, and i have no problem with the idea of moving in with him in 7 months (assuming that we are still together and happy/healthy then)... however, he thinks it would be better to try to find a house that a group of us could move into and i think it would be better to start off in an apartment. i know more about apartments than i do about houses and getting a house seems like a much greater financial commitment on all parts and i'm concerned that it would make a much tighter situation for everybody. on the other hand, though, i do know that there is some fairly cheap housing near our area (which, granted, isn't a very good area and that's why it's cheap, but i'm not too concerned about that)... anyway, what i want to know is whether or not anyone has any advice on moving out for the first time and whether a house or an apartment would be a better choice... also, if anyone has any advice on moving in with a partner, i'd greatly appreciate that. thanks :)

Since the two of you are not married and nowhere near being able to make a long term committment, an apartment is the ONLY way to go.

An apartment does not require a long term obligation, there is not a lot of upkeep, it'll be lots easier to split the expenses of rent, telephone, cable TV, Internet service, etc.

Should some unforseen problems occur in the relationship that makes living together uncomfortable, one or both of you could move out, forfeit your deposit and go on your merry way.

Understand, though, that if both of you sign a lease...say for 12 months...BOTH of you will be obligated for full payment of the lease. If one of you moves out and refuses to pay, the other is stuck with the expenses. Another problem roomies, whether lovers or not, often have is one or the other not coming up with their full share of expense monies each month.

Be sure to talk this out and get very comfortable with everything before moving in with this guy...or anybody for that matter.

There will be a lot of time in the future to consider buying a house. Even renting one is a major move because there are so many more expenses associated with living in a home.

I'm glad you asked.

• Author

thanks so much for your reply, Tony, i really appreciate the advice, and it's made me feel a lot better :)