"I Fooled Around and Fell in Love"

I heard that song today, and it reminded me of a wedding I attended a few years ago.

One of the activities was for each table to come up with a song with the word "love" in the title. It was kinda neat listening to each table sing (or attempt to sing :laugh: ) a song. Many songs were tender and poignant. Some were humorous. But if I remember, all were applicable in a good way.

Then the bride sings a nice beautiful and tender song to her groom. She was a sweet beautiful blond girl who was marrying (IMO) a bit of a jerk. He was the sports minded jock (no offense to anyone here) who seemed to not have a lot of tenderness or love showing to his bride. Ya know...the kind who doesn't have that look of tenderness in his eyes.

When his turn came up he sang the song I heard today. The words are below with a link provided.

"Fooled Around And Fell In Love"

[Originally by Elvin Bishop]

I must have been through about a million girls

I'd love 'em and I'd leave 'em alone

I didn't care how much they cried, no sir

Their tears left me cold as a stone

But then I fooled around and fell in love

I fooled around and fell in love

Since I met you baby

Free, on my own that's the way I used to be

Ah, but since I met you baby

Love's got a hold on me

It's got a hold on me now

I can't let go of you baby

I can't stop lovin' you now

'Cause I fooled around, fooled around, fooled around

Fooled around, fooled around, fooled around, fell in love

Fooled around, fooled around, yes I did

Fooled around, fooled around, fooled around

I fell in love, yes I did

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rodstewart/fooledaroundandfellinlove.html

Question....ladies, how would you feel if your new groom sang this song to you at your wedding?

Guys, would YOU sing this song to your new bride?

And to all, do you think they are still married today? (No, I don't know the answer to this one).

melodymatters

Well, its not the most romantic song out there, but he is saying he fell in love with her.

It's probably one of the most honest songs too, in that thats probably how most of us started : " Hell, he's cute, I'll date him and see where it goes.." and then wham !

PS. Isn't that what happened to pam anderson and rick soloman, she paid of her gambling debt with sex and they " fell in love" . LOL

:confused:Horrible song you are right!

I am a woman and I will not be flattered by that song!

He did say that he fell in love with the girl in the song but emphasis is on: ' I fooled around' line and there are millions of better love songs that he can sing to her especially on their marriage in front of family and friends!

They might be together, can't you find out?

I heard that song today, and it reminded me of a wedding I attended a few years ago.

One of the activities was for each table to come up with a song with the word "love" in the title. It was kinda neat listening to each table sing (or attempt to sing :laugh: ) a song. Many songs were tender and poignant. Some were humorous. But if I remember, all were applicable in a good way.

Then the bride sings a nice beautiful and tender song to her groom. She was a sweet beautiful blond girl who was marrying (IMO) a bit of a jerk. He was the sports minded jock (no offense to anyone here) who seemed to not have a lot of tenderness or love showing to his bride. Ya know...the kind who doesn't have that look of tenderness in his eyes.

When his turn came up he sang the song I heard today. The words are below with a link provided.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rodstewart/fooledaroundandfellinlove.html

Question....ladies, how would you feel if your new groom sang this song to you at your wedding?

Guys, would YOU sing this song to your new bride?

And to all, do you think they are still married today? (No, I don't know the answer to this one).

nah ... I think I'd hate it, even though the lyrics talk about falling in love … the sentiment isn't there.

though, if he busted out with "Maybe I'm Amazed" (Paul McCartney) or "Is This Love" (Bob Marley) – or even Louis Armstrong's "'Bout Time," I'd swoon :love::love::love:

‘Bout time, ‘bout time

We had a little taste of wasted time

Like love for two

I wasted time alone with you

‘Bout time we too

Were livin’ out a lovely dream come true

‘Bout you, ‘bout me, ‘bout love

‘Bout time, ‘bout time

We spent a little time with no one near

To watch me while

I say a little something in your ear

‘Bout how I care

‘Bout how I wanna make my feelin’s clear

‘Bout you, ‘bout me, bout love

We’re in deep water Darlin’

Clear over my head

‘Bout time we either sink or swim

Let’s swim, 'nuff said

‘Bout time, ‘bout time

We didn’t always have to steal a kiss

‘Bout time, ‘bout time

I had my arms around your waist like this

My whole life through

I wanna make you feel the way I do

‘Bout you, ‘bout me, ‘bout love

We’re in deep water Darlin’

Clear over my head

‘Bout time to either sink or swim

Let’s swim, 'nuff said

‘Bout time, yes time

We didn’t always have to steal a kiss

‘Bout time, time

I had my arms around your waist like this

My whole life through

I wanna make you feel the way I do

‘Bout you, ‘bout me

‘Bout us, ooh-wee,

‘Bout your love and mine

‘Bout time

:laugh:Yes I think they are still married.

The sheer honesty of that song and the sense of humor behind it and knowing who he is would help very much to keep a happy marriage. I would imagine he would be the type of guy who would point out an attractive woman and his wife would agree and comment.

I think it's funny and fits the description of the groom. Good for him for being honest and being comfortable enough with his bride to sing that. lol

don't you find it weird that everyone had to sing at the wedding?

I love this idea, especially if your guests have been organized so they don't know everyone at their table. It gets everyone working together and is worth a laugh or two.

:sick: I have never, ever liked that song.

My wedding song was... Bob Marley

"IS THIS LOVE"... It was the song

that was playing the first time H

and I kissed almost 15yrs ago

yer my kinda gal, integra! That's such an incredible love song, and still sounds "fresh" after 20-some-odd years.

long live Marley :love:

Do Not feel flattered to be honest :o

Well, isn't that the dream that every woman who falls for a 'bad boy' wishes would come true? That he finally meets the 'right' girl and falls in love and marries her - and that SHE, of course, is that special girl? :love::love:

:rolleyes:

It's much more romantic in the girl's mind than the way the song portrays it...but that IS the 'taming the player' fantasy.

Citizen Erased

Honestly I find things like these tacky and rather sickening. Think it may have something to do with the weird 18 year old boy who wrote a song about me when I was 14 and then played it to me when we were alone... :sick: Romance is dead forever for me :p

But that guy is seriously an idiot for singing that song.

• Author

They might be together, can't you find out?

The bride worked with my wife before we were married. The wedding was over 17 years ago. As of about ten years ago, my wife said they were still married. She hasn't seen the bride since. I am going to see if I can find out anything. IT would be interesting.

My wife said she didn't think the song was that bad, but she only remembered the chorus..not that he had a million women. :D