LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Long-Distance Relationships

She Isn't Ready (LDR)


Long-Distance Relationships Coping with geographical distance can make or break a LDR. Share your experiences and questions here.

Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2017, 9:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Unhappy She Isn't Ready (LDR)

I'm talking to a girl long distance. She is 21, me 22. Her longest relationship was 6 months, mine 3 years.
She is nothing short of amazing and makes me feel better than anyone has ever made me feel. She says similar things about me and agrees that the chemistry between us is something special.
We've only been talking for about 8 or 9 weeks, but we both believe we are in love and we are saying "I love you" regularly.

She's very extroverted and has a lot of male friends which was at first a bit worrying. She explained how they are just friends, one of which is her ex from only a few months ago (that she has apparently known for many years as a friend), but i'm convinced that nothing is going on and we have agreed to be open about that sort of stuff. Last week she stayed at a male friend's house and i felt uncomfortable. After a lengthy discussion she agreed not to stay at a male's house if it's just her and him. Perhaps my asking of that was a bit too much.

I am very introverted and needy, but the fact that she is extroverted is exciting and new to me, and I don't think it's an issue per se. We talk regularly but I don't feel like any sort of a priority - she talks to me when she isn't seeing her friends and when she is, sometimes she doesn't reply for hours. Sometimes she comes home after seeing her friends and is "too tired to talk". She says talking to someone seriously online is very new to her, which I can appreciate.

Currently we are just saying that we are "seeing one another", but we have both agreed not to see or sleep with anyone else. She gets upset at the idea of someone else "having me". Unfortunately it looks like we wouldn't be able to meet for at least 8 months and we both agree that "seeing someone" for 8 months is ridiculous.

I have anxiety and trust issues, and the distance doesn't help with that. Furthermore, I believe that my ex cheated on me which has messed me up a bit. Because of how close we are and how much this feels like a long distance relationship to me, I asked her if we can just call it a relationship. She has said she isn't ready for a few reasons, including "not wanting it to be too serious", "not wanting to make compromises", "wanting to meet me first", and above all else she says that she has personal issues that she wants to work on alone (she has a therapist). I explained that nothing would change if we were to call what we have a relationship, and that she can work out her issues without having to be single. I can support her if she wants it or never mention her issues, therapy etc, if not.
Considering she wants to be exclusive, what does "not wanting it to be too serious" mean? We talk every day, we say I love you, and we are exclusive - how much more serious can it be?

After a long discussion last night, I explained that if she isn't willing to at least give some sort of a time frame, it's best for me that we don't talk anymore because I'm struggling to trust her which is making my anxiety worse, as she is technically single and it would be reassuring for me if she were to publicly display that she is taken (it raises questions about if she is seeing others and doesn't want them to know about me, etc). After some crying (she definitely cares), she agreed that in two months, regardless of if she felt ready or not, she would give it a go. She said she thinks by then she will be ready and agreed that Christmas day would be a cute day to make it official. I'd be comprising by waiting, and she'd be compromising by giving it a shot regardless. We agreed it was a good idea and I felt better because I had a time frame.

Today, less than 24 hours later, I woke up to a message from her saying she "doesn't think she will be ready" and that she "knows she won't be happy in a relationship" despite liking the idea of it and "wanting to make me happy". She says the two month idea feels "forced", and I really do understand that, but I can't help but presume that there's a hidden reason why she doesn't want a relationship.

This girl is amazing and I don't want to let her go, it's clear to me that she likes me a lot, and she has been very supportive. Our not-a-relationship feels great and not at all one sided (just to be clear).
She hates when I don't trust her but trust must be earned and that's exactly the point of calling it a relationship for me. It already feels like a LDR to me anyway, nothing would change for us besides a Facebook relationship status, and that's exactly why I'm suspicious.

I'm a logical person and having failed to reach a compromise, I appear to have two options here:
- continue the way it is while waiting for her to (perhaps never) be ready,
- ‎start no contact, hope that she comes around but know that I will move on if she doesn't.

Waiting is fine, but the anxiety regarding why she won't just call it a relationship is horrible. Everyone I mention this situation to tells me to walk away because i'm being played.
I want to respect her wishes but I do feel used, as though she's having her cake and eating it. She gets the in-a-relationship me, without actually being in a relationship with me. If she wants to be just "seeing" me, then saying I love you, falling asleep on Skype together, etc, needs to stop, no? And if being in a relationship with me is more of a big deal than losing me then she's obviously not as mad about me as she says she is.

Any comments about how "long distance isn't worth it" etc won't be appreciated. I've had a 2 year LDR before that I enjoyed and this girl is truly special, so i'm not interested in being told to "not bother" (because of the distance, and not the situation).

Last edited by JamesDaniels123; 28th October 2017 at 11:11 PM..
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,748
It seems to me that what you have right now is essentially an online friendship, not a romantic relationship. And this, is not what you want from this girl.

I will say this, as I have learned from experience... When someone tells you that are not ready or don't want a relationship, believe them. Don't waste time and energy hoping that they will change their minds. Go about your life, if and when she is ready for more - well, then she can let you know.
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post
It seems to me that what you have right now is essentially an online friendship, not a romantic relationship. And this, is not what you want from this girl.

I will say this, as I have learned from experience... When someone tells you that are not ready or don't want a relationship, believe them. Don't waste time and energy hoping that they will change their minds. Go about your life, if and when she is ready for more - well, then she can let you know.
I can't really agree with the first part because we are sexual and intimate (as much as you can be online). She talks to me more than anyone online etc.

I do think that she wants a relationship without any of the responsibilities. When i threaten to walk away she says she "wants me in her life". She wants the compliments and affection without the responsibilities of a relationship and right now she's getting that. It needs to stop. I need to do no contact. Would you agree?

Is it healthy for me to let this play out? I want to let it play out but I feel as though i'm becoming controlling because of my lack of trust :/
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 12:03 AM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,748
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth...

I have to be honest and tell you that I don't think it's healthy to consider yourself to be in a sexual and intimate relationship with a woman that you have never met in person. I also don't think it's healthy to say that you love someone after such a short period of time, when you haven't actually seen each other in person. Just my humble opinion...

Relationships develop in person, by spending time together. I have close online friendships... I would say that they create a sense of "knowing" someone if thoughts, feelings, and other personal information is shared. But, it is not the same as sharing and developing a romantic relationship, in real life.

It's entirely possible that she wants the companionship and comfort of a relationship online without having to take the RISK or putting in the work of having a romantic relationship in real life. I think you are fine to continue talking with this girl if you can do so with no expectations of a romantic relationship, in real life. I don't think you can do that though. There is obviously a reason why she is more comfortable keeping your relationship an "online relationship." Normally, I would suggest that she may be creating this boundary because she is anxious to meet you and take the next step. However, considering that you say that she is extroverted, has lots of friends, and recently spent the night at the home of a male "friend," there is a good chance that she is dating other people or in another relationship. I know, you will say that you have agreed to be "exclusive" but words mean nothing, especially when there are no real world consequences. It's hard to know because you don't ever see her, in real life.

I'm sorry, I'm probably not telling you what you would like to hear. Good luck to you, with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by BaileyB; 29th October 2017 at 12:19 AM..
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 2:14 AM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 7,398
James, all the reasons she's giving for not wanting a relationship with you are valid. You may not understand or agree, but if she was my daughter, I'd be very proud of her being so sensible.

She's not using you. Instead, she's being honest about not seeing the two of you in a relationship. And I think you've got the trust thing backwards. You're not in a relationship, so she shouldn't need to keep your trust at this point. And besides, when we start a relationship we give trust and they work to keep your trust. Starting out with no trust is no way to have a relationship. I mean, why bother starting out with someone who doesn't trust you? I know I wouldn't do it.

I realise that you don't want comments about LDR being a waste of time, but I suspect she wants something more tangible. A guy who she can hold and hang out with. A guy who she can go on dates with and be involved in her actual life. If I'm right, none of this is unreasonable on her part. Do you really think a 21yo is wise to tie herself up with someone she's never met and won't meet soon? I don't.

It's time to let this online relationship end. You want different things.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 5:09 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Thank you for the responses and thank you for the advice.
Having spoken to her again, it's extremely clear to me that her intentions are not to see others etc, despite how common it is for people to avoid relationships in order to do such things.

I disagree regarding not being able to have a serious relationship online. Long distance relationships are certainly a thing and i'm comfortable with being in love with someone i haven't met.

I have agreed to continue talking to her despite the fact that she doesn't want a relationship for the foreseeable future as neither of us want to stop talking. We did, however, agree that if this becomes a serious issue for me again in the future, we will have to call it a day

Thank you again.
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 8:45 AM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,880
She's trying to let you down gently, OP.

Online relationships just are no match for real, in-person ones (which includes the intimacy factor; web cams don't replace real, between-the-sheets time) Saying that you love someone you've never met doesn't make a lot of sense, because you don't really know a person until you've spent a substantial amount of time together in real life. You might be comfortable with that, but evidently she is not. Many wouldn't be, so I would advise you not to put your all your eggs in one basket before you meet a woman offline. (Take a skim through these forums for people in your friend's position; hear it from their point of view)

I think she's being quite reasonable, really. She is telling you she doesn't want to say she's in a relationship with someone she has never met, and she doesn't want a relationship at all while she is dealing with her own struggles. Those are some significant and valid reasons why this won't work for her. You of course don't agree, but that choice is out of your hands.

Given that you're already quite attached, I would suggest that you take a big break in communication. You are going to have a lot of trouble letting go if you keep up the chats, and what happens if she meets someone locally? It will devastate you to know she's on a date or at least keeping her options open for guys in her area.
BaileyB likes this.
ExpatInItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 8:47 AM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDaniels123 View Post
I can't really agree with the first part because we are sexual and intimate (as much as you can be online). She talks to me more than anyone online etc.
This isn't a sexual relationship.
It's just an online connection and being sexually explicit with her, some women accept payment for this either when logged on or by requesting gifts be sent to them.
It's not a sexual relationship until you have been involved in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDaniels123 View Post
I do think that she wants a relationship without any of the responsibilities. When i threaten to walk away she says she "wants me in her life". She wants the compliments and affection without the responsibilities of a relationship and right now she's getting that. It needs to stop. I need to do no contact. Would you agree?
Yes, this is what you should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDaniels123 View Post
Is it healthy for me to let this play out? I want to let it play out but I feel as though i'm becoming controlling because of my lack of trust :/
No. it's not at all healthy, especially not so if you are becoming controlling.

You say you are needy, have anxiety and trust issues.
You are just setting yourself up to make all of these issues worse by continuing with this online charade.
It's not reality.

BTW, crying is not an indicator that she cares, it could be stress, frustration, feeling cornered, anything.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 8:50 AM   #9
Established Member
 
CautiouslyOptimistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 1,922
How did you meet this girl?

How far is distance between you?

Have you video chatted with her?

How old are both of you?
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 9:34 AM   #10
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 25,237
You can have a long distance relationship. This isn't that. This is a virtual relationship because you have never met. I don't see the allure but others here on LS whose opinions I trust & respect say they can be very addicting. The problem is you don't actually know this woman. You know who you think she is because your brain supplied the most attractive possibilities when you fill in the blanks.

She has realized you are too invested but she's done with this fantasy. Unless you can actually meet & then have an LDR, this is not real & it's best to let it go. Find a nice local girl.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 3:57 PM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDaniels123 View Post
I disagree regarding not being able to have a serious relationship online. Long distance relationships are certainly a thing and i'm comfortable with being in love with someone i haven't met.
Just make sure you remember that she doesn't share your opinion - as is her prerogative.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 7:57 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatInItaly View Post
She's trying to let you down gently, OP.
She isn't. I asked her if she wants to stop talking and she said no. (Edit: actually she said she doesn't want to stop talking before i asked. I even asked if she wants to be friends and she said no.) I asked if she is trying to let me down slowly and she said no. She's messaging first, it's not like she's trying to shake me off, honestly.

As for her not being comfortable with "I love you", she said it first, and then we agreed we weren't ready to say it. Then she accidentally said it one night before bed. Both times she said it first and since then we have agreed to say it because of how we feel for one another.

She says she isn't keeping her options open for local guys, but I do agree that i'm going to have a hard time letting go if and when time comes.
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 7:58 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaUK View Post
BTW, crying is not an indicator that she cares, it could be stress, frustration, feeling cornered, anything.
Can't disagree with that, nor really with what else you said.
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 8:02 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
How did you meet this girl?

How far is distance between you?

Have you video chatted with her?

How old are both of you?
We met on a dating site (i had my location to hers for fun because american girls are honestly more open minded and interesting to talk to. I didn't anticipate this, but i was open to it as i've had a somewhat successful LDR (two years, but most of that we spent together in person) before).

She lives in California, I live in England lol

Yes, we video chat near enough every night and it's really enjoyable. I sense a connection between us that i am confident would be amplified if we were in person. We just "click". Lots of giggling, staring at one another, compliments, shyness etc. Neither of us ever want to leave the call and she stays up very late talking to me (as do i), often until she falls asleep. I'm quite sure that our "chemistry" is the reason she is still talking to me, as she said right at the beginning that she's not really interested in an LDR. I mentioned that to her yesterday and she said "I know, but i'm being open minded and this is working well". I think she's impressed with how well we work and wants to wait it out so we can meet.

As the first line of my post states, i'm 22, she's 21.
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 8:06 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Just make sure you remember that she doesn't share your opinion - as is her prerogative.
Yes you are right, but she IS comfortable with whatever we have going on right now. I don't see an issue with that. I'm not particularly bothered about wanting to be "in a relationship". If I enjoy talking to this girl (more than i would talking to someone local) then that's great imo!
JamesDaniels123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is there such thing as "not ready for a relationship", or just "not ready for you"? xuanqi1988 Breaks and Breaking Up 25 9th December 2015 10:26 PM
Getting Ready... folieadeux Long-Distance Relationships 20 19th December 2010 2:49 PM
Ready 2 Go ready2g0 Separation and Divorce 4 10th December 2010 2:03 PM
Ready to Move On...But Not Ready to Make the Leap... USMCHokie Coping 15 10th June 2010 3:31 AM
I want more then friends, he's not ready and never sees himself being ready... Pebbles59 Friends and Lovers 10 9th June 2004 1:18 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 5:34 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.