Managing friends and LDR

Just recently started a LDR (if you want to call it that). We are about three hours (one way) away from each other, so we are able to see each other most weekends.

Now I am wondering a bit how to coordinate my relationship and my social life. How do you keep your friends when in a LDR?

Also, how much time do you spend with your SO friends? I usually enjoy getting to know someones friends, but with limited time available to even see him, it can get frustrating having other people around....

Whats your experience with this?

Why would being in a LDR make it harder for you to keep your friends compared to a local R? Is the weekends the only time you can meet your friends?

I would expect time with mutual friends to make up only a small % of time with my SO. Currently, probably 2% or so? But, if you are in a new R and especially if you are in college, this % would reasonably be larger. Again, I don't think being long distance could or should affect this.

When you travel to her, you can spend some time with her friends on the weekends. When she comes to you, you can spend some time with your friends. Once in a while have a weekend all to yourselves as a couple. Once in a while have a friends only weekend & see the local friends on weekdays. What are you having trouble balancing?

Just see your friends other times. But eventually let them all meet. Still you need one on one time with your friends. Don't let a relationship make you ruin your friendships. Chances are they'll last longer than him.

• Like 2
Don't let a relationship make you ruin your friendships. Chances are they'll last longer than him.

I can attest that so much!!! Maintaining your friendships are just as much of a priority.

• Like 2

I may not be qualified to reply because I'm in the midst of a divorce. Totally unexpectedly I got attracted to someone I "met" on a forum but we're without labels so not even LDR applies, especially since I need to get out of this abusive marriage first.

This seems pretty doable as 3 hours isn't too bad. Just like a few others said, if you share who visits whom, then spending time with each other and their friends is good. Never underestimate the power and strength of having your own independent good friends are, but also to be able to cultivate friendships with each other's friends as well.