LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Long-Distance Relationships

Looking for s and experiences

Long-Distance Relationships Coping with geographical distance can make or break a LDR. Share your experiences and questions here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d0nnivain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2017, 4:06 AM   #1

Looking for s and experiences

Hi everyone,

as a first post of mine in this community, I would like to ask other people that had or have LDR experiences a rather simple question. How do you maintain a meaningful, engaging conversation with the other person through messages and (video)calls?

My actual context is: I met a girl in January when I just moved to another city. We've been meeting since then, and dating for a few months already. We knew from the start that at the beginning of July I had to move back to my hometown. Right now, we're both traveling in different countries for most part of this summer. We've been away now for about 20 days. We have the concern about our conversations being constantly just a regular update of what we've done wherever we've been. What do you do or have done to kind of make it more fun, to connect more just than see, read or hear each other.

Thanks in advance. I hope she also register and we can both participate here. Should be fun.

Cheers!
Mik
he finds fortune in being free.
m1k_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 4:34 AM   #2
Established Member

You shouldn't have to work at conversation imo.
Any women l've ever been with that counted, conversation was the least of worries .
Ex gf, sadly, and l were 70% LD but 16mths and we still talked 24/7. Same ex w.
That's what click is.

But, that's just me, l have known and seen much quieter couples,, some together 30yrs, so, different folk l guess and maybe you guys are just one of those .
lf your comfortable in your thing with her l guess in this one you just gotta get a bit creative.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 6:08 AM   #3

I know that would be a different topic for another threat, but don't you think that the absence of "the click" can be compensated with some time and dedication? I mean, what I understand is that your personalities match so well you "don't have to work" for everything to be just great.

I think that being creative is what I should be looking for. Hope I can come up with some good ideas.
Old 30th July 2017, 9:14 AM   #4
Established Member

I managed an LDR across 3,000 miles & 4 time zones before all the ways we currently have to connect.

We wrote daily snail mail letters to each other . . . newsy chatty missives. On Wednesday nights after 11 p.m. my time when the rates went down we had 1 long distance phone call for 1 hour. We were lucky in that we got to see each other every 3 months. When one of us would do something unusual, we'd get the other a cheesy cheap souvenir from our adventure. For example he lived near Disneyland so whenever he took people there, I'd get a pencil or something.

Now you can talk in real time, use social media & of course video chat. Take advantage of all those things. Don't forget snail mail. Do not only rely on written communication. Do make a point to see each other as often as possible.
Chilli likes this.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 12:07 PM   #5

That's such an interesting story. Makes me feel nostalgic, even though I haven't lived it myself. Thanks for the recommendation, the snail mail is such a great idea.
Old 31st July 2017, 7:31 AM   #6
Established Member

Yeah if you really feel for each other, don't be discouraged , like you say dedication too, that is a huge huge thing between two people also.
All sorts of couples work in all sorts of ways.
We have so much to use to now so try different things , you'll probably find some ways work much better for you guys than others..
We used all of it because we could only visit every 3 mths.

Good luck.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote