About 2 years ago I had a thing with a woman while we were going to school together. We traveled and did a lot of fun things together and made a great couple but she moved back to her hometown after graduation and we both started seeing other people. Me I haven't gotten serious with anyone since her and I do miss being with her. She has been off and on with another guy for about a year now. Every time she has a serious fight with the guy she runs to me and wants to meet or makes plans for us to meet but eventually, she goes back with her new boyfriend and just repeats the cycle of makeup and break up and back to talking to me when things go bad. I don't really know how to advance my position in the situation and was hoping there was a mental gymnast that could help me.

ExpatInItaly

She's not that into you if she only really comes to you when she's fighting with her boyfriend.

Believe me, it won't be worth trying to "advance" your position with her.

• Like 1

No, you can't advance your position. You're just the rebound side guy. If she wanted to make anything work with you, she's had plenty of opportunity. For whatever reason and who knows, she doesn't see you as someone she would stay with. I'm sorry. You should block her so you don't get distracted by her while you date other women.

• Like 1

I'll postulate you've not had a serious fight with her. When she's soaking up your valuable time again, share some truth about that dynamic and see what happens. If much life experience is any guide, you'll never see nor hear from her again and your life will likely be healthier for it. However, if I'm wrong, it's possible such directness will advance your position, presuming you've been a pushover in the past. Up to you.

How's the dating going with the other ladies? Is the lack of 'serious' due to a lingering attachment to her? Does she 'check in' just often enough to mess things up? You know how you're really smart about some things? She's really smart about relationships and men. Same thing, different focus. She knows how to keep you around. That's a skill. Good for her. Not so good for you.