Going on a year, and neither of us has said those 3 big words

OutdoorGirl23

I've been in an LDR for almost a year, and this is the best relationship that I've ever had bar none. We just got back from a beautiful vacation in Hawaii, and that's the most consecutive amount of days we've been able to spend together. It was amazing! I know how I feel, and I can tell by the way he treats me that he feels the same way, but we have not uttered the words. I know that this is 2017, but I'm old fashioned, and I'd really like to hear it from him first. He can be shy and reserved, so I'm pretty sure this is why he hasn't said it either. We really don't talk about how we feel other than missing one another and anticipating when that's going to happen again. I'd appreciate some positive feedback or ideas from y'all. Thanks so much

You have been together a year long distance. That is not the same as being together a year.

Including Hawaii, count up the number of days you actually spend together. Now take a deep breath because not saying ILY in that short time frame is not so bad.

What's the plan for closing the distance? Do you need to hear the words before you think about moving?

Usually, if neither says ILY by the 6 month point, it's time to move on. LDRs are different, because you spend much less time together than couples who live near each other. So, adjust your expectations based on how much time you've actually been together - include time spent communicating, but add a month or so to the 6 month rule to account for a slower progression due to the LDR.