about upcoming LDR move

Blackbird0121

Hi There,

I am new here and hoping to get some advice about my move that is happening in September! I currently live in New Jersey, and my boyfriend lives in California. I will be moving in with him in September, and we have already decided that I will be selling all of my furniture and things I don't need. I will just be moving my clothes, shoes, etc... which is still a lot. I plan on shipping it to California over time, since this will be much cheaper in the long run than renting a truck or other options. Boyfriend will fly to New Jersey to make the cross-country drive with me. I'm excited and think it will be fun!

I have a few questions:

- Does anyone have any advice on moving my items? I researched a bunch and shipping seems to be the cheapest option, but advice is appreciated if you have done it differently!

- How should the cost of moving be managed? I know I am the one moving, but I am also doing it for him so I feel like I shouldn't be paying for everything. I can have an open discussion with him, but wanted to see if those with experience have done it a certain way.

- Any other advice you can give me!

Pack books in smaller boxes so they don't get too heavy. I believe the USPS still has a media rate that takes longer but is much cheaper.

If you aren't moving furniture or anything big, I agree shipping would be the best way to do it. Pack everything up carefully and make it easy on the person that will be taking things to the post office for you. Label boxes so you know what's what.

If you haven't already looked into PODS, it would be worth comparing costs.

In your situation, I agree moving costs should be shared in some way. You are giving up a lot for your relationship so hopefully your boyfriend is acceptably appreciative.

Good luck!

• Author
Blackbird0121

Thanks for your reply!

I plan to drop off the boxes slowly myself over the next few months. I looked into PODS and they are about $2,000 which is much pricier than shipping some boxes would be, and probably a lot more space than I would need considering I'm not moving furniture.

If you are already driving cross country I don't understand why a U-Haul isn't your best option. Shipping sounds like too many things can go wrong. Best option should not be measured by money alone but factor in time, aggravation & potential for problems. Personally to save my aching back, I think professional movers are worth every penny.

If money is an issue, get that straightened out before you move. Unless you have a job waiting for you when you get there, the inequality between your financial positions will rip this relationship apart before you even start. If you can't work this out now, consider staying here.

Normally I recommend that when somebody is relocating to end an LDR they need to go into their own space, not go from a country apart to living together. The adjustment & the expectations are likely to cause problems. That safety value of separate apartments is helpful

• Author
Blackbird0121
If you are already driving cross country I don't understand why a U-Haul isn't your best option. Shipping sounds like too many things can go wrong. Best option should not be measured by money alone but factor in time, aggravation & potential for problems. Personally to save my aching back, I think professional movers are worth every penny.

If money is an issue, get that straightened out before you move. Unless you have a job waiting for you when you get there, the inequality between your financial positions will rip this relationship apart before you even start. If you can't work this out now, consider staying here.

Normally I recommend that when somebody is relocating to end an LDR they need to go into their own space, not go from a country apart to living together. The adjustment & the expectations are likely to cause problems. That safety value of separate apartments is helpful

Hi, thanks for your reply... here are my responses:

A U-haul is not the best option because it is much more expensive than shipping. I have priced it out, and because I am not moving furniture, there is no reason to get professional movers. I can easily lift boxes of my clothing and shoes.

I am keeping my current job, just relocating. So money is not an issue, but obviously we want to do things in the most cost-effective way.

We have discussed whether I would get my own place and have decided that it doesn't make sense for our situation. I will be moving there for him and even if I had my own place I would be spending all my time with him anyway. He owns a house so we will also be saving money by living together.

If you are moving within the same company, have you requested moving expenses? I was reimbursed $2,000 when I relocated last. Save all receipts, including packing supplies, fuel for your drive across country, etc.

• Like 1

Greyhound is the cheapest for shipping small packages. Everything else you should be selling. Clothes, laptop, documents...that's it, that all you should be bringing. Any mementos or brick a brack dump off at the parents house for storage and get it later if things work out.

If you are only taking clothes etc. why don't they all fit in the car you will be driving? Perhaps rent a car top container but I'd want to keep stuff with me.

Glad to hear you still have your job.

Best wishes with the move.