Long Distance?

What constitutes long distance?

I'm dating a guy and he claims that we live long distance from each other. He goes as far as to plan to stay the night when he's in my "neck of the woods." I do occasionally stay at his house too, but don't make it an issue because 20 minutes is nothing to me. When I think of long distance I think of possibly going outside of the county bounds and further.

I find it strange because he travels to school much further than where I live. I understand that it takes him all of 10 minutes to travel to work for him. He doesn't think that's far.

I live in the same county, different city as him which is approximately 25 minutes away (max), but he goes to school in a totally different county and city! This takes him over 30 minutes with traffic. What gives?!

We see each other frequently on a weekly basis. Up to twice or if our schedules permit three times a week, but mostly on weekends.

I'm thankful he doesn't really let this be an issue, but he brings it up often.

Edited by Tressugar
hippychick3

I agree that is a strange statement. When my bf lived here, he was 25 min away. It was only an issue for him when he spent the night on a weekday and had to fight traffic going to work the next morning. Now he's 3 hours away and he minimizes the "long distance" aspect of the relationship. When I've complained about the distance, he'd roll his eyes and say it's not THAT far away.

Perhaps your bf says that because after driving "so much" for school, he doesn't want to drive any more than that on his nonschool days.

If anyone tried to tell me that a 25-minute drive was "long distance", I'd facepalm so hard my nose would break. :laugh: Going by that logic, everyone works a "long distance" job in most cities.

Honestly, I'm not sure what your guy is even on about. The only conceivable way I could think of that distance being anything worth speaking of is if you have no car, have no way of getting a car, taxis are extremely expensive, there is no direct bus/metro service and you have to take 2-3 buses. And even then it's "medium distance" at best.

When my (ex)wife n' I first got engaged. We were 15mi. from each other. Definitely not long-distance.

To me, being LDR is constituted by a distance that cannot be driven in one day, and requires a plane to get there.

• Like 1