Should I let this progress into an LDR?

So, I met this woman online through social media. Our chats became more regular, and we voice in Skype about every other night. The issue is that she lives in South America. While she seems financially secure and also has citizenship of a European country, the key is that she pushes this chat into the direction of an LDR.

I would generally not have an issue with it. She is sweet, smart, and we get along on many levels. But what remains is that we would have to get married to live together, there is no way to move forward. I also don't know what she would do here in the US. And I am really not sure if I'm prepared to get married again, especially without really knowing the other person first. I'm uncomfortable with the direction the chat is taking, because at the end of the day there is only one way forward.

I wanted to ask if I should stop this chat, but I answered my own question, didn't I?

xenawarriorprincess

How long have you been chatting? Have you ever met in person? Meeting people online is a wonderful avenue for meeting people and beginning new romances; however chatting via internet, phone, etc. will never replace person to person communication. You have to see what she is like while other people are around, how she engages with you and how she interacts with others. As you already know from experience, marriage is a huge step and you should really get to know this woman in person before making such a huge decision. Why would you have to get married? Is it an immigration thing? If so, could that be a motivation for her?

• Author
How long have you been chatting? Have you ever met in person? Meeting people online is a wonderful avenue for meeting people and beginning new romances; however chatting via internet, phone, etc. will never replace person to person communication.

That's correct, and why I don't call it an LDR yet. No, I haven't met her in person yet. I don't want to start something I cannot finish.

You have to see what she is like while other people are around, how she engages with you and how she interacts with others. As you already know from experience, marriage is a huge step and you should really get to know this woman in person before making such a huge decision. Why would you have to get married? Is it an immigration thing? If so, could that be a motivation for her?

Yes, it's an immigration thing. No, I don't think it's a motivation for her, she could just as easily live in Europe.