Long distance friend zone

Around 3 months ago, I travelled for some work experience to a country (I'll keep it unnamed for now) and met a girl. We both really liked each other and for the time I was there (around a month) met, went out on dates etc. We made out a few times, but didn't have sex. When I got back we still messaged everyday and Facetimed about once a week, and she said she missed me all the time and wished we could be together which I reciprocated.

This continued until a few weeks ago where we both realised that we couldn't keep this going as we don't know when we are going to see each other again, and can't meet regularly at the moment (I'm from U.K and it's around a 13 hour direct flight..). So we have 'agreed' (I'm not sure if I have entirely yet) to be friends as we can't be in a relationship, at least for now. She is very likely to visit the U.K next year and is likely to study in the U.K (so therefore live in the U.K) in next few years. She has said we can be friends and if we do live in the same country then we can try a relationship in future. I agree with this if it is right at the time etc..

My issue is, I want to keep in contact with her but if I am too much of a 'friend' is this risking that she begins to see me as just a friend and therefore preventing any potential future relationship.

I'm not going to be leaving my life on hold for her or anything, I just don't want to ruin any potential chance. Any advice appreciated

What does she want to do? is she really sure she just wants to friend it out for another year? Sounds like a waste of time.

Edited by smackie9