Should I be Upset About Long-distance BF Bailing Early on Halloween Plans?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a few years now and have recently started dating long distance after I moved out of state a couple hours away. I made plans with my boyfriend for Halloween this year to do fun stuff, give out candy, etc. He knows that Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I've been going through some rough stuff lately.

On his way here today he mentions that his mother (who he still lives with and is very reliant on him) needs him to be at their house Tuesday morning for when repair guys come, even though she'll be there as well. My s/o mentioned that he's probably going to leave that night (Halloween night) so that he can be back home with enough time to wake up early the next day, etc.

I just ended up getting kinda upset. I felt like we had stuff planned for Halloween night and he didn't even talk to me to see if i'd mind him ducking out.

Then when I make my point he says "idk why you'd get upset, i'm the one doing all of the extra running around because of what my mom wants."

I just need some quick feedback regarding if I'm overreacting or if I'm justified in being upset about this.

seekingpeaceinlove

Pick your battles. Is this issue so important that you're wiling to fight over it? He's not cancelling on you he's just leaving earlier, right? It's Halloween...its not like he's ducking out early on your b-day.

Give him a break. If it's THAT important to you...communicate that you really have more fun with him there but don't make him feel bad for doing something for his mom. He lives with her...I'm sure he doesn't want drama from her.

Tell him you would LOVE for him to be there with you but that you understand. He would think of you as a sweet, understanding gf instead of a nag. If you are upset over the fact that you two had some big plans that were set in stone and you were upset that he pretty much cancelled those plans without consulting wth you....then have a conversation about THAT.

I say, let it go.

His mom is important to him, and he has an obligation to help her out. It's not like he is ditching you to hang out with his buddies. Halloween is on Monday, it's a school night......it's going to be an early night anyways. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Like 2