Should I Fly Out to See Him?

Basically the title, if you're not interested in the background.

I've just recently started college, so I no longer live with my parents (but I'm still financially dependent, since job-searching while having a horrible class schedule isn't fun).

I also have a boyfriend, who I met online about three, almost four years ago. He's two years older than me (I'm 18, he's 20), and we communicate daily (Skype, text, call). His family is aware of my existence, so that's one hurdle out of the way...

However, mine is a little more... sensitive about relationships. They're substantially more distrustful of potential partners that aren't the same ethnicity, but even beyond that, there's the fact that we met online. That's gotta scream "rapist" or "murderer" to them, right? That isn't the case at all! We study together on Skype through video call, we have small talks about mundane things, and I occasionally talk to his relatives whenever they're over.

He wants me to visit this winter break for a week, and I wouldn't mind; we both agreed to shoulder the ticket half and half. How can I break this trip to my parents? Should I even go? I don't mind waiting a couple more months, but he gets discouraged at the thought of waiting even longer.

Why can't he come to you - and STAY IN A HOTEL?

(Do NOT plan on sharing a hotel together at the first meeting....)

• Like 5

You've never met him before? Seems odd to start a relationship with someone you've never met.

Let him come to you. And foot the bill himself. At least this first time.

He gets discouraged at the thought of waiting but won't take it upon himself to get to you any way he can? Doesn't sound promising.

He could be crazy in the head and you don't even know that? They can put on their best face then you get caught up in that crazy mind of his. You should never meet on their own turf. Let him come to you and stay in hotel as suggested. Never, never bring him to your house or where you live yet. Way to dangerous out there today.

Why can't he come to you - and STAY IN A HOTEL?

Ladies please explain this to me. I saw this Thread, usually don’t comment on LDR stuff because most cases I read about here are so out of my realm of comprehension. I’ve seen on this forum countless times.

Why would a woman just meeting a dude FLY (as much as it is to fly) to see a man, ANY man UNLESS HE FREAKING PAID FOR THE FLIGHT?

Are women getting that desperate and think the risk and the money spent is worth it to do that?

Folks, the thread starter, a one-post new member, logged out 20 minutes after posting this and hasn't returned so I'll thank members for their considered responses and close this up.