More of a relationship hurdle---a 20 year age gap, or 1300 miles apart??

Bobthepilot

I know the answer is different for everyone , but I am curious as to all of your opinions.

Which of these two scenarios would you find to be more of a hurdle, in terms of making a relationship work??

1) 55 yr old woman and 35 yr old guy, who live just 15 minutes apart?

2) Guy and girl who are the same age (mid 30's), but live 1000 miles apart--with little or no chance of one or the other moving closer, for the next several years---if ever?

As for myself, I think the 2nd situation would be harder.

What's say you?

I know the answer is different for everyone , but I am curious as to all of your opinions.

Which of these two scenarios would you find to be more of a hurdle, in terms of making a relationship work??

2) Guy and girl who are the same age (mid 30's), but live 1000 miles apart--with little or no chance of one or the other moving closer, for the next several years---if ever?

As for myself, I think the 2nd situation would be harder.

What's say you?

I believe it all depends on how strong their love is. It doesn't matter how close you live to each other if you can't have a strong relationship as well as i believe it doesn't matter distance if you are willing to make the relationship work.

If she is 55 and he is 35 but they're crazy for each other, go ahead. Nobody is supposed to jugde anyone. And if you have a partner who lives far away and neither of you can move closer you can make it work by seeing each other every month or something like that, every vacation, holiday and special events. Until they can finally have a future together and live together.

The age thing would be a lot harder to deal with in a relationship. With 20 years separating a couple, you get two people who are in two completely different life stages and if the younger one wants a traditional relationship with kids/marriage etc, that may not be agreeable to the older partner.

I am an independent woman so the distance thing wouldn't be so much of an issue for me. I don't need to see or talk to a partner every day or even every week to be honest.

Not exactly sure the point of the thread,

or are you a 35 year old guy who has to choose between a 55 yo local woman or a 35yo woman who lives 1000 miles away?

LDRs are very difficult, but with no real life close bonding prior to becoming a LDR, and with no end point in sight, most likely impossible to maintain.

Of course a 20 year age gap can also be a problem, but at least with the proximity, you can openly and face to face discuss it, talk it through, develop a close bond both emotionally and physically, or not, as the case may be.

Is it a contest?

I don't think I could ever be in an indefinite LDR. I imagine I would call it quits by the 3rd year or so. I did a 2 year LDR before and was almost at the end of my tether by the second year. That said, the thought of being with a guy 20 years my senior squicks the hell outta me as well. There won't be any attraction, so what's the point?

I'll go with neither.

LittleTiger

I'm seven years into a very happy, very real LDR. By that I mean we are a genuine, real life couple who spend several months a year living together and we are both committed to our present and future relationship.

The first three years we were 12,000 miles apart. The last five we've been 10,500 miles apart.

I can't envisage any situation where I would be happy in a relationship with a man either 20 years younger or twenty years older than I am. We'd have nothing in common and there would be zero attraction.

That's just me though.

If your imaginary scenario is actually a dilemma you're facing, you'll have to decide for yourself. Then again, the fact that you're even asking the question, suggests you don't have strong enough feelings for either woman to make either relationship work.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

In a scenario with tons of money: #2

In a middle-class scenario: #1