Long Distance Marriage

So, I just got married to my LD partner of a year. I'm so happy and blessed. LDRs can work out if you're both serious and invested in being together long term. We're just doing the paperwork for immigration right now, so he can come and join me.

Is anyone in a LD marriage right now? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

justwhoiam

Hi, immigration from where? I guess that can make a huge difference.

What is the distance between you two? Did you get advice from a lawyer on how to do the marriage process properly? I know the USA's very strict, not sure about Canada.

Congratulations! Long distance marriages are awesome. Some say that marriage by videoconference is two-dimensional, but they're forgetting all the fun you can have with real-time Instagram filters. I tear right up when you get to the bit where the virtual celebrant says, "You may now sext the bride!"

Happy and blessed sure is a good start. Keep communicating, and never take each other for granted. Actually, I just made that stuff up out of thin air, but I have to say something quasi-substantive.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi, immigration from where? I guess that can make a huge difference.

What is the distance between you two? Did you get advice from a lawyer on how to do the marriage process properly? I know the USA's very strict, not sure about Canada.

From the U.S to Canada. It seems Canada is more strict but long term a better option for when we start a family. We live a 6.5-hour drive from each other, so it's not too terrible. A family friend who is a lawyer has been advising us.

• Like 1

congratulations. Have a lot of patience. Immigration issues can be ridiculous. A friend of mine, here in the US married his French GF but it took almost 3 years to get everything straightened out.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks. Being patient is hard but you're definitely right. We will be together eventually but sacrifices have to made.