!! Meeting my long distance romance next week!

Sasquatch96

Ok so, next week I am flying from little old England to the sunny state of Florida.

I can't contain my excitement for some beautiful weather and down time from my busy schedule, except; this isn't really a normal holiday.:lmao:

I get to meet one of the most important people in my life for the first time ever, so naturally, aswell as the excitement, I can't contain my nerves!

We first made contact with each other just over 3 years ago via Twitter (lol), but I'm a strong advocate for the belief that everything happens for a reason, so I guess I think we crossed paths and formed a relationship for a reason... Call me stupid but hey!

So he's 21, I'm 20, and we are the girl and boy versions of each other almost... Both have the same goofy/dark sense of humour, both have an obsession with food and the same tv shows, both have the same outlook on life and morals, both hopelessly romantic... The list goes on okay haha. I'm not usually one to form relationships with strangers over the internet, in fact, this is the first and only one I have accumulated in my 19 years, but our undeniable connection and similarities kept me interested for the past 3 years. Not to mention we find each other drop dead gorgeous. We text and snapchat every day without fail, also we FaceTime regularly; I'm not stupid, I know this boy is not a catfish and is most definitely the real deal :D My friends and family know exactly who he is and visa versa with him.

In the 3 years we have known each other, he briefly had a girlfriend, and I briefly was also seeing someone too... The fact that we were young and meeting each other in real life was not a realistic option at that time, obviously made things hard... But we kept in touch, albeit not every day but still. Our thoughts never far from each other, we maintained contact after our breakups which freakily happened within weeks of each other (last year), and resumed messaging everyday.

We are honestly best friends. So here's the deal, my dad who lives in Canada with his girlfriend, is taking a holiday to Florida and I am meeting him out there, so me and, let's call him D, thought what better opportunity to finally meet each other and see if our relationship is all it's cracked up to be! He's actually invited me to stay with him for a week and I accepted... We have been waiting for years to finally see each other so have planned tons of fun stuff to do! His friends are even dying to meet me, I promised them I'd show them how to drink ;) Although I'm pretty confident I can look after myself, admittedly I would never do this without my dad being not too far if anything does go wrong, which I doubt it will - but always prepare for the unexpected! We are both so nervous for this because we have so much riding on it; he is the first thing I think of when I wake up, and the last thing I think about before I go to sleep.. I really do believe he is something very special, and this is definitely what I want; to find out whether he IS something special, or am I just wasting my time? I feel as though, until we meet in the flesh, this is all just a fantasy... The last minute nerves really are killing me!!! Like what if he doesn't like me? What if he's out of my league etc etc...

So if any of you lovely people have any advice for me or have found yourself in a similar situation, please feel free to comment! I'd appreciate it very much. :) thanking you in advance x

Edited by Sasquatch96
Just felt like it
  • Like 2
He's actually invited me to stay with him for a week and I accepted...

So if any of you lovely people have any advice for me or have found yourself in a similar situation, please feel free to comment!

Well I'm glad your father will be in the state as a back up but honestly your decision to stay with this stranger is a bad one. I know you think that you have this grand connection but the reality is you don't know each other. To go from nothing to 24/7 is problematic. You have no where to run to catch your breath & he expects sex.

By all means go to Florida but book yourself a hotel room so you can put breathing room in here or at least have a place to retreat to if he's not the guy you think.

• Like 3

I'm happy to hear you and your guy are finally getting to meet each other. :) I want to echo d0nnivan's concerns though - it's generally a good idea not to commit to staying at his place right away when you haven't met before. I know both of you webcam a lot, but there is much that you can't tell about a person until you actually meet him. I wish you'd declined and booked your own accommodation instead, at least for the first night or two.

If you really insist on accepting his offer to stay with him, then your dad knows where you will be staying, I hope? And when your boyfriend picks you up at the airport, trust your instinct - if anything at all feels wrong or off to you, don't go back to his house with him.

Of course, chances are you'll be okay, but it never hurts to take precautions the first time. Good luck!

• Like 1

I agree with the others that you should stay in a hotel. Is your dad comfortable with you staying with this guy? Will your dad be meeting him?

Also, bear in mind that the drinking age in Florida is 21, so you technically aren't old enough there to "show them how to drink." Be careful.

• Like 1

Hey,

I'm glad you are getting to this point in your relationship. I was exactly the same. My girlfriend was in Canada I was in the UK. Took us 3 years to first meet, but even then she brought her mother along with her to make sure I was OK etc, and I stayed in a hotel at the time..., you still want to be careful, I would advise the same as the others that you should stay in a hotel the first few nights, then see where that goes from there.

• Like 1

I"m doing the same thing, except going to the UK from the states. It's all part of a bucket list trip I'm taking to France. I am stopping off in Manchester to meet a guy I've been talking to for 2 years before heading to France. I"m staying in rentals, not with him, because I want to go see things as I work my way south east towards France.

My big thing is: what kind of clothes should I pack for May in Manchester? A rain coat, of course, but is the weather cool or warmish? It's usually really humid and warm in the mid-Atlantic states.

Anyways, have fun and be careful. Good thing your dad will be close at hand. I'll be on my own, so I'm a bit nervous about that. Ah well--life is an adventure and I'm looking forward to this one.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

Good for you!! Don't let these naysayers poop on your parade!

One word of advice...pack your things because you aren't going to want to leave once you experience Florida! It's delightful.

• Like 2

My big thing is: what kind of clothes should I pack for May in Manchester? A rain coat, of course, but is the weather cool or warmish? It's usually really humid and warm in the mid-Atlantic states.

It won't be cold. You'll be OK with a lightweight jacket.

Have fun.

• Like 1
Ok so, next week I am flying from little old England to the sunny state of Florida.

I can't contain my excitement for some beautiful weather and down time from my busy schedule, except; this isn't really a normal holiday.:lmao:

Okay Florida has some nasty ass humid heat.. please prepare for that!!! I go to Jamaica for three months every year and I find that hot-cold showers really do help! So try those

I get to meet one of the most important people in my life for the first time ever, so naturally, aswell as the excitement, I can't contain my nerves!
I know the feeling and I am so super excited for you too!!!!! But please please make sure you are not too excited I mean the whole thing can be a big disappointment and you need to be prepared for that too!!!

We first made contact with each other just over 3 years ago via Twitter (lol), but I'm a strong advocate for the belief that everything happens for a reason, so I guess I think we crossed paths and formed a relationship for a reason... Call me stupid but hey!

no one is calling you stupid, just be careful tho... You are young and female, many people could take advantage!

So he's 21, I'm 20, and we are the girl and boy versions of each other almost... Both have the same goofy/dark sense of humour, both have an obsession with food and the same tv shows, both have the same outlook on life and morals, both hopelessly romantic... The list goes on okay haha. I'm not usually one to form relationships with strangers over the internet, in fact, this is the first and only one I have accumulated in my 19 years, but our undeniable connection and similarities kept me interested for the past 3 years. Not to mention we find each other drop dead gorgeous. We text and snapchat every day without fail, also we FaceTime regularly; I'm not stupid, I know this boy is not a catfish and is most definitely the real deal :D My friends and family know exactly who he is and visa versa with him.

In the 3 years we have known each other, he briefly had a girlfriend, and I briefly was also seeing someone too... The fact that we were young and meeting each other in real life was not a realistic option at that time, obviously made things hard... But we kept in touch, albeit not every day but still. Our thoughts never far from each other, we maintained contact after our breakups which freakily happened within weeks of each other (last year), and resumed messaging everyday.

We are honestly best friends. So here's the deal, my dad who lives in Canada with his girlfriend, is taking a holiday to Florida and I am meeting him out there, so me and, let's call him D, thought what better opportunity to finally meet each other and see if our relationship is all it's cracked up to be! He's actually invited me to stay with him for a week and I accepted... We have been waiting for years to finally see each other so have planned tons of fun stuff to do! His friends are even dying to meet me, I promised them I'd show them how to drink ;) Although I'm pretty confident I can look after myself, admittedly I would never do this without my dad being not too far if anything does go wrong, which I doubt it will - but always prepare for the unexpected! We are both so nervous for this because we have so much riding on it; he is the first thing I think of when I wake up, and the last thing I think about before I go to sleep.. I really do believe he is something very special, and this is definitely what I want; to find out whether he IS something special, or am I just wasting my time? I feel as though, until we meet in the flesh, this is all just a fantasy... The last minute nerves really are killing me!!! Like what if he doesn't like me? What if he's out of my league etc etc...

So if any of you lovely people have any advice for me or have found yourself in a similar situation, please feel free to comment! I'd appreciate it very much. :) thanking you in advance x

I got tired of reading sorry. Anyway please be careful, make sure u book a place for the entire duration of your trip so you do not have to depend on him for a place to stay (you can always cancel that place or take him there), and do not settle for less than you want! I know it is scary to travel far for love, I am from the Netherlands and my boyfriend is from Jamaica... even more scary things there beforehand....

• Like 1