What's your best LDR ? What are the rules of LDR?

Hi All,

First post, and I'm a little bit of a newbie here so please go easy on me :laugh:

Here's my situation:

I have not been in a LDR for very long. My boyfriend and I met two months ago in Sydney and we spent every second day together - which is insane given I'm usually a typical one date-per week 'play the game' type of lady. We slept together once, and then could not as I had surgery the week after (to which he was understanding and very sweet.) He left a month ago to go back to Dubai where he lives with his family. The decision to do LDR was not hard, we simply could not imagine not doing it despite being highly rational people who fully understood the difficulties.

Even with his leaving hanging over us, feelings neither of us have ever felt developed before. I'm his first girlfriend and lover (he's 23), and I (22) have just come out of a year+ relationship half a year ago, which I ended because there was simply no long-term love. So while relationships are new to him, LDRs are new to me so there is an element of uncertainty involved. I'm usually the most rational person, who doesn't believe in love over a month. However I can say it truly it is that and not infatuation - I can see his flaws. I can see his medical concerns and while they're frustrating we can work around them. To be cliche, I think he's the one. Which is insane for my age and our time together.

We both have the benefits of having time (university) on our side, so we can plan trips in advance with holidays. I will be visiting him in two months time (flights booked), to stay with his family whom I am meeting for the first time for a month. Luckily for us, we're both rather introverted people so Friday/Saturday nights aren't spent clubbing or partying so I do not worry about him cheating on me. Fortunately too, our families are well off so these trips will not be financially draining. Eventually when I finish university, he may move to Sydney or I may move to England/Dubai to be with him.

So why am I telling this soppy, long-winded story? I'd like some advice. Sometimes I read things people post and can see how it is identical to something I've experienced. I'd like to know if this has triggered any similarities with your own story or something you've heard? And if so, do you have any advice in general? What to do? What not to do? Am I insane? I'm sure I'm in the 'honeymoon period' of any normal relationship so I can confirm my bias. :love:

I know there is no universal 'one size fits all' when it comes to advice, but I do wonder if this level of intimacy after only two months is normal or purely a construct of us romanticising each other due to the distance. We're both slightly strange in that our personality type (INTJ/INTP for all you MBTI readers out there) means we need less social interaction then other people - so while we miss each other the past month has not been difficult at all. We both have good social lives away from each other.

We Skype every second night, for hours at a time. We have the most intellectual conversations - about life, history, philosophy and so forth. I don't lament the distance, I'm thankful that I have someone worth it. Sometimes I scare and creep myself out that I have just spent $2500.00 on flights and a substantial amount more to see him soon, but is it possible that when you know - you just know, regardless of distance?