Who drives??

Ok, just curious here...

If you are considering a LDR, would you allow the guy to drive towards you if he took the initiative to offer or would you meet him half-way?

Also, what about first date(s)? I mean, I'd prefer to meet the guy half way and if we kick it off, then switch up between one of us driving all the way and/or meeting in between.

Comments? Experiences on what worked?

When I was in an LDR I mostly flew to him. At the time I was a student. There was a great deal through Am Ex where you could get $99 tickets on Northwest (yes I'm going back) anywhere in the continental US so it was cheaper for me to go to him. He'd often give me the money because he worked. I had more flexibility.

For a 1st meet, no matter what the distance, half way is best although the 2 OLD dates I had with guys that lived more than 2 hours away they insisted on the chivalrous thing & they came closer to me, maybe 1/2 hour from my house.

Do you have an LDR prospect Gloria? :confused:

When I first booked my flight for Florida Timshel and I had just started talking and I was planning to live in St. Petersburg, about 4 hours from Tallahassee. There was discussion about meeting in the middle for the first time but I had a problem letting her drive 2 hours to see me so I just headed up to Tallahassee instead. I think it works better if the guy shows he's legit by taking the time and effort to go see the woman, but I know for a lot of people finances and schedules play into it.

One thing I will say Gloria, LDRs can be difficult and you should probably have an idea for an endgame in your head pretty early on. Like how you're going to end up in the same place together eventually. It was so brutal not being able to see her in person when I wanted that after our second date I just packed up and went north for good.

Michelle ma Belle

The very first time we decided to meet in person, we went back and forth with what would be the best and safest option for both of us, including meeting half way. We have about 11 hours drive between us and an international border. In the end we decided it was better for him to come to me. In my particular case, we were already exclusive and working towards establishing a relationship for several months leading up our actual meet-and-greet. He arranged for his own hotel room and we talked about all the "what if's" both good and bad and vowed that we would make the best out of whatever happened. In the end, he spent only a few hours in his hotel room and only because he prepaid for the night and the rest is history. We were together nearly three years.

As for random dating, I've gone on dates with men who lived anywhere from 1 to 3 hours drive from me. Not too unusual. In those instances, we would typically arrange to meet halfway in a busy public location for drinks. If we hit if off, we've would take turns visiting each other.

As I've said many times before, LDR can work if you want them to. There are always sacrifices to be made in any relationship and LDR are no different.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have a fair amount of experience with this and either traveled to meet the ladies where they lived or met halfway.

Such a halfway meet for a casual lunch one rainy day resulted in the marriage I enjoyed for a number of years. After the initial period of halfway meets and dates when the relationship become intimate and exclusive, we took to switching off each weekend, driving the 120 mile roundtrip to spend time with each other. That went on for well over a year until we got married.

Longest multiple time trip via car in a dating experience was about 450 miles roundtrip. Longest similar via aircraft was about 13000 miles roundtrip. My experience locally had been so lousy that was what I was willing to do. That's probably outlier.

I think meeting halfway will usually be perceived as a generous gesture. In some cases, it might be impractical so other arrangements can be made.

Yea, I was the one to travel because I wanted her to feel safe knowing we were in her hometown. I like to drive, so it wasn't a big deal...but the mosquitoes ended up treating me just as bad as she did :)