1 Month LDR. M/29 coping with F/20 going home

biggestbummer

I understand that I'm at risk of being called dramatic by posting a short term thread in here, but this is my first time in any form of a LDR, and I'm hoping you all could provide any advice or feedback as I'm hoping the same coping strategies that are used for long term / distance LDR's could be applied here. You all seem to be professionals.

I started dating a girl about 6 weeks ago. Since then, we've been hanging out frequently, as we're still in the "honeymoon" phase. I have 0 complaints thus far. I had initial concerns about the age difference, but she's very mature, and we mesh perfectly when we're together. Before she left to go home and visit her parents in California, she told me she didn't want to hook up with any guys, and I said the same about remaining faithful while she was gone.

I have 0 experience with any form of LDR, and I haven't been doing too well since she's left. I do have plenty of hobbies and a social life of my own. I've been going out frequently, but I do find that although I'm out and enjoying myself, there's a small sinking feeling in my chest. We've been communicating fine. We both initiate conversation when we can, so there's a very good balance there. We also facetime every other evening. I'll be going out to visit her in California from my home in New York in about a week, so I'm stoked about that, but I'm really concerned about the final 3 week stretch that follows.

I think that because she left during the honeymoon phase, combined with the fact that I have 0 experience with prior girlfriend's traveling is the reason for me being slightly upset. She only left 6 days ago, and I've been told the first 2 weeks are the hardest, but after that it gets easier.

I would not consider myself co-dependent or needy by any means, and although I do miss her quite a bit, I've been keeping that to myself as I don't want her to feel as if I'm being too much while she's away.

Any advice on how to cope or help the time pass?

Any advice on how to cope or help the time pass?

I get her home IS in California, or she wouldn't spend 1.5 months there. So, what happens after she comes back to NY? Will she live there permanently? I guess she'd be going home for Thanksgiving, Christmas and in the summer months. I wouldn't be too concerned about this time apart, it will go fast. But I would start consider what the future looks like for you, for her and for both.