What is your longest LDR?

Curious to know what is your longest (distance wise) and longest lasting (time wise) LDR?

I am in a LDR with an amazing women. We are head over heels for each other but she lives over an hours drive away (not a huge deal for me or compared to many on this site). Our challenge are kids: we both have kids just starting high school and do not want to move them at this time.

We talk about having a future together and would surely kick things up a notch if it were not for our kids.

I made it one year and a half. I was coping well with the distance but he wasn't. I guess if you both put each other as a priority and have your hearts in the right place distance doesn't matter that much. Good luck :)

7 years ! I was moving all around Europe, he was living in Paris. It healed me forever of LDR, I'm afraid.

living one hour away is hardly long distance, though... but I understand the part with the children, that sucks...

• Like 1

8000 miles, about a year, flying time about 20 hours. Neither of us could relocate at the time, so we ended it.

8000 miles, about a year, flying time about 20 hours. Neither of us could relocate at the time, so we ended it.

Sounds similar to a situation I had, except the flight was 7 hours. Did you stay friends?

1.5 years. 3000+ miles: east coast to west coast.

I was supposed to move to LA but when I couldn't get a job there & got one here, things fizzled.

An hour away and your kids are in high school? They can be left alone for a weekend. At the very least meet half an hour away and get a hotel room. Or have one person's kids spend the night at a friend or relative's house.

• Author

I am hardly in an LDR by comparison but it still takes extra effort and time. Luckily our kids get along great and we get together a few nights a week and on most weekends.

She wants to move things along faster but with kids, houses and jobs its just going to take time and patience.

Curious to know what is your longest (distance wise) and longest lasting (time wise) LDR?

Over 6,000 miles and 8 to 9 hour-flight, 6-hour time difference (that for a few weeks a year becomes a 5-hour difference). As friends, almost 13 years. In love with each other for 3.5 years. Officially together for 2 years and four months.

she lives over an hours drive away
That's not a LDR. Just like a lizard is not a crocodile.

A little over three years and about 2,500 miles.

You don't have to mesh families and live together to kick it up a notch. As you said, a little over an hour is not a huge deal. If it's meant to be, then that hour drive is a piece of cake. :)

In Stanislaw Chodorowski's novel "Adritta" the main character lived 1.573 light years away from princess Nereda, and despite relativistic time changes, not to mention the distance, the relationship was made to work in a very realistic way.

Great read by the way... it's about a future some 4,500 years from now, most people on Earth (and the local empire that consists of stars within a 12-light year radius of earth) are part of a culture that is derived from modern India, which is something I liked a lot since it's not as Eurocentric as other scifi futuristic novels and movies.

Edited by Eddy Street
  • Like 1

Going by my personal definition of a LDR (different countries, more than a thousand miles) - we were in one for 2 years.

Going by your definition (over an hour apart) - add another year. To be honest this form of 'distance' made very little difference to me, and it wasn't much of a step down at all from living together, which we had done before that. We just focused on our careers during weekdays and spent weekends together. I could have done it for years if it weren't for worrying about his driving conditions - it didn't cause any strain to our relationship.

Edited by Elswyth

There's a thread "LDR - numbers and hard facts".

• I've been in one as a teen for about 10 months and ~10'000 km (ended after that),
  • early 20ies for 8 months and 12'000 km (met locally before and became local LTR after),
  • and late 20ies for 2 years and ~2'500 km (began and ended online).

I am in a LDR with an amazing women. We are head over heels for each other but she lives over an hours drive away (not a huge deal for me or compared to many on this site). Our challenge are kids: we both have kids just starting high school and do not want to move them at this time.

We talk about having a future together and would surely kick things up a notch if it were not for our kids.

Mine was about 10 months with a man who lived in Great Britain. I think that he ended up getting back with someone and he ended things abruptly. I had an inkling something wasn't right when I saw him on whatsapp at about 10:30 EST, which would have been about 3:30 GMT and my gut told me he was probably talking with an ex. Within about 5 weeks, he'd completely changed his tune and became very, very cold. And I really, really liked him and was making plans to go visit him this year.

Ah well. Live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my recent guy and I only lasted about 3 weeks. LOL.

I think my first ever serious relationship started out long distance for about 3 - 6 months until he moved to be with me.

Only one I ever had, and it was 6 months

He ended it and told me when he met a girl who lives in his city. Ah well. I knew I couldn't give him all he needed (me in canada he in Belarus) Still friends though. My friends were saying "Those retarded Belorusians" but I gave him a break. He was always nice to me. we were friends first before he wanted the relationship, and we are friends now. He was always good to me and - it's a big effing deal to just uproot and leave culture language, family, friends, everything, behind. And I understand some people realize they aren't ready for that. Either yet, or ever. So I gave him a break.

Edited by Blade96

6 months for me.

Just ended. From her point of view, it ended because she couldn't handle the distance and missed me too much. Not sure about that, if you ask me.

Anyway. Countries apart. 3 and a half flight distance. Romania - Netherlands.

5 Years, Different City.

Different work Jobs and Schedules...

Seldom See Each other...

Cheated on me on our 4th year...

Fell out love for me, and fell in love with a co-worker...

Broke up with me after our 5th year...