bittersweet breakup.

My relationship with my Mr Belarus ended tonight. (I'm a girl) But it was bittersweet. Of course, he met someone else, in Belarus. I'm in Canada. He wrote me to let me know. It ended not only cause of the distance and the culture (he could not move to Canada) but also because of the kids issue (he wanted them, I don't) But he said I was so very good to him, so supportive so kind, so friendly, he said he always wants to remain friends. I wrote him back and said of course will, he will always be a part of my heart, and I told him to keep the gift I sent him for Christmas. It wasn't very romantic, a keychain from my home Canadian province with our provincial flag on it. I knew that it was a long distance romance and in the chance it didn't work out, he could still keep it cause it wasn't really a romantic gift.

But it was bittersweet - bitter because it was awesome and sad it ended, sweet because I know we will always be friends forever.

And I want to thank the posters here for the advice given to me about visas and all that (the advice was to not do anything, let him come here on his own) I appreciate it all.

Thank you!

I would strongly advise against remaining friends, doing so rarely works.

Yea, it just seems so painful to stay friends right after a break up. I guess everyone is different, though.

• Author

Aye it's painful for a while.....

he said

sad a little....but He can't leave Belarus...his daughter and all... and his ex wife wouldn't allow itright now....because of the daughter.... (I have a cousin in the same boat - she can't move anywhere either because the father , her ex, won't allow her to take their daughter with her so I know it isn't a BS excuse) and the cultural difference would make it hard for him too he said.....he was born in the USSR when it was ussr.....he said the situation could change (not likely, I thought)

but I know he loved me...probably always will....as far as one can love someone virtually. I loved him too....

he wants us to be great friends...and I know we will forever be.

I told him he will always have a place in my heart. But I also know he has to live his life.

Yes I can be friends with exes. I have a couple of guys I liked , on my fb. They exes. well one is an ex and one was just a guy I liked but he only liked me as a friend. There is only one ex I hate and have a NC with.

• Like 1

he said

sad a little....but He can't leave Belarus...his daughter and all... and his ex wife wouldn't allow itright now....because of the daughter.... (I have a cousin in the same boat - she can't move anywhere either because the father , her ex, won't allow her to take their daughter with her so I know it isn't a BS excuse) and the cultural difference would make it hard for him too he said.....he was born in the USSR when it was ussr.....he said the situation could change (not likely, I thought)

but I know he loved me...probably always will....as far as one can love someone virtually. I loved him too....

I told him he will always have a place in my heart. But I also know he has to live his life.

Yes I can be friends with exes. I have a couple of guys I liked , on my fb. They exes. well one is an ex and one was just a guy I liked but he only liked me as a friend. There is only one ex I hate and have a NC with.

You seem to me to be a delightful person.

Live a long life full of love.

• Like 1

he said

How did you meet him? I just experienced a very similar situation. I'm from America, and she's in Europe. And I can't just pack up my life and move to Europe and she can't move here, so it had to end.

It's very sad, and I had to go 'no contact' because talking to her was preventing me from moving on.

It really makes me sad that I couldn't deal with 'just being friends' because she is a great person. But feelings get in the way.

• Like 1
  • Author

I met him through a dear friend of mine, a celebrity. and he did the same job so he was kind of one too, I guess. We were good friends, best friends. All of us. I met them through fb, met his friend one year ago. And then in may 2014, I met my other friend, his friend, who is the ex now. they are real Belarusian celebs, there are articles and examples of their work online. We were all good friends before the relationship started, they are awesome people, my ex and his friend sometimes worked together on projects. so it will not be hard for me to be friends with him and his friend when the relationship ended. They are dear to my heart, always were. :) I always loved them both.

I most likely won't talk to him for a while. I know he loved me, it's probably painful for him too. I'll keep him on fb, but won't talk for a while, because it will be painful for both of us.

• Like 1
I met him through a dear friend of mine, a celebrity. and he did the same job so he was kind of one too, I guess. We were good friends, best friends. All of us. I met them through fb, met his friend one year ago. And then in may 2014, I met my other friend, his friend, who is the ex now. they are real Belarusian celebs, there are articles and examples of their work online. We were all good friends before the relationship started, they are awesome people, my ex and his friend sometimes worked together on projects. so it will not be hard for me to be friends with him and his friend when the relationship ended. They are dear to my heart, always were. :) I always loved them both.

I most likely won't talk to him for a while. I know he loved me, it's probably painful for him too. I'll keep him on fb, but won't talk for a while, because it will be painful for both of us.

Yeah, I want to be friends with my ex, too, but it's too soon after the break up.

And yea, I'm sure he loved you, but the distance is just too much. For both of you. Long distance relationships are so hard. But at least you got to spend time with a great person.

• Author

yeah it's very painful, I can't even look at him for a while or write to him. I keep him on fb cause he is a nice guy but just pressed unfollow for a while.

the fact I'm 36, find it hard to meet people, hardly ever dated ever cause for some reason guys don't like me, and this was the first and only time I ever fell in love...makes it very painful. Also the fact I didn't even want him as more than a friend at first - he pursued me. And - he was good to me and sweet - I grew to love him a lot.

Edited by Blade96