How to tell my employer I'm leaving to be with my LD boyfriend?

I may be relocating in January to be with my boyfriend. I need to tell my employer but I have no idea what to say. Can anyone help?

evanescentworld
I may be relocating in January to be with my boyfriend. I need to tell my employer but I have no idea what to say. Can anyone help?

Check your contract. How much notice do you need to give him? Make sure you do things correctly.

Dear Mr <Boss's name>

I regret to inform you that I am handing in my notice, as of <date>. Unfortunately, I am having to relocate, and therefore I will be in no convenient location to be able to continue my employment here.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for my time here, which has proven educational, informative and valuable.

Kindest regards,

<Your name>

That's it.

Really, it doesn't need any more than that.

• Like 4

It really depends on what the company culture is, I think. Things are very laid-back here, so it's not unusual for people to talk about their personal lives if they feel like it - I've heard someone say, "Yeah, my partner got a job in X so we will be moving there" or such before.

But evanescent's letter works too.

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I've read your previous threads and am concerned for you: do you know what will happen finance-wise when you quit your job to move to him? Can you trust him to provide if it takes you some time to get another job?

Doubt your employer really cares as long as you give the required notice (usually 2 weeks). In some cases and IME, they'll ask but I wouldn't volunteer your life story from the jump.

• Author
It really depends on what the company culture is, I think. Things are very laid-back here, so it's not unusual for people to talk about their personal lives if they feel like it - I've heard someone say, "Yeah, my partner got a job in X so we will be moving there" or such before.

But evanescent's letter works too.

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I've read your previous threads and am concerned for you: do you know what will happen finance-wise when you quit your job to move to him? Can you trust him to provide if it takes you some time to get another job?

We have sorted it all out finance wise. This is really the only way we can be together. I have signed up for agency work up there in the meantime so it should be fine.

Yes I do trust him to provide. He says he will and I believe him.