Girlfriend Went Back to College Today

Hello there everyone. I haven't been here in awhile but I'm sure there may be a few of you that remember me! :p

For those of you who don't know me, I went through a real bad situation with a "catfish" or someone who pretends to be someone who they're not about a year and a half ago and I was devastated.

A few months past and I finally met another girl while I was moving to a different town where I'm from (this person is real this time!)

Anyways, we met last summer and started just as friends but you know as the stories go, we quickly became more than that. By last November we finally started dating and have been together ever since (almost 10 months now).

Over the past few months we've had the luxury to see each other every day during the summer. We were both home from college. Before summer however, we were doing the long-distance thing from college.

We had our ups and downs however we found a way to make it work and the past few months this summer that we finally had together were some of the best times of my life.

That being said, today is a sad day for me because I had to send her back to school. She goes to school in Boston approximately 4 hours from where we both live. We are now back to Facetiming/Skype every day and it is killing me.

We have plans to see each other once/twice a month starting in October, but it feels like such a long time from now; these past summer months flew by in the blink of an eye. I made this thread because I just wanted some advice on how to cope with this whole thing again.

She took going back to school a lot easier today, I was a bundle of tears lol. Part of the reason is she has a new apartment to look forward to as well as being a commuter to school now verse living in the dorms at her school.

For some reason I always feel like when we are away from each other, we are more prone to fight with each other. She is one that tends to go out more than myself and that's fine however I can be insecure at times with her especially if she's getting drunk while I'm not around.

I always feel like I have a chance of losing her when we are away from each other. I still freak myself out that she is going to meet someone up at her University in Boston and it will be easy for her because she won't have to deal with being away from somebody for so long.

I need tips on how to get rid of these thoughts that I freak myself out about every day we are away from each other. I do trust my girlfriend and I don't think it is a trust thing. I feel like it's more a fear of abandonment or something.

Me and her have come such a long way. We did 5-6 months away from each other last year and we made plans to see each other once every two weeks back then. My family loves her and her family loves me. Her grandparents always asks me when I'm going to propose to her. When I'm with my girlfriend she is always bragging about me to her relatives and friends saying how I treat her like a queen.

I love my girlfriend so much. I just really need to learn how to cope with this distance thing again. I was so spoiled having her right next door for the past 3-4 months that the thought of being away from each other for an extended period of time never crossed my mind until she left today. We FaceTime every day, and go to bed together with FaceTime on when we are away from each other. We make occasional phone calls to one another though out the day as well as text each other frequently.

So that is my story, I'm sorry if it seemed scatterbrained at times, I am still wondering what to do with myself now that she's gone. For those wondering our ages, we are both 20 years old I am 6 months older than her.

Focus on what you do have: FB, Skype, cell etc. In the bad old days you had snail mail. Don't discount it though. Send her a real latter or a card once in a while for something different. It's always a day brightener to get actual mail.

Don't be all jealous all the time & constantly accuse. You can both have fun with your friends at school but remain faithful to each other. October isn't that far off. Then you will have Thanksgiving & before you know it Christmas.

• Author

Thanks for the response. I guess the hardest part is the fact that we have gone from seeing eachother every day for 10-12 hours a day to going to barely talking during the day and Facetiming at night.

It's really effecting me bad and every one I talk to tells me I look depressed or out of it lately. She seems to be handling it fine because she has been going back and forth up to school for a year and a half now.

I literally obsess over her and wonder what she is doing all the time. I guess I was spoiled by having her every day this summer and we've gone from seeing each other all the time to barely talking.