My boyfriend is moving to Dubai for 3 years

I'm 18 years old, and have been in a relationship for 1 year.

My boyfriend works in the hotel industry. His career will require him to move to Dubai after 2 years. He has to be there for a minimum of 3 years, and has no definite plans of return.

I don't want to lose him, but he says me moving with him is not possible as he will be staying in different premises, and will be immensely busy in his work (working 12-18 hours a day). He has asked me to wait for him.

What should i do? Should i wait for him? 3 years is a long long time, and anything can happen when communication between us comes to nearly a bare minimum, and there will be no vacations for him as well.

Should i break up with him now itself, or should i be with him, knowing that there might come a day when we both might not want to be together because of the long distance and communication gap anymore?

While he's still nearby if you enjoy his company, continue to date him.

Three years isn't forever but a lot can happen before then & possibly while he's away. You have lots of opportunities to communicate. There are always vacations.

However if you really don't want to handle having an LDR it's OK to break up when he leaves.

nomadic_butterfly
I'm 18 years old, and have been in a relationship for 1 year.

My boyfriend works in the hotel industry. His career will require him to move to Dubai after 2 years. He has to be there for a minimum of 3 years, and has no definite plans of return.

I don't want to lose him, but he says me moving with him is not possible as he will be staying in different premises, and will be immensely busy in his work (working 12-18 hours a day). He has asked me to wait for him.

What should i do? Should i wait for him? 3 years is a long long time, and anything can happen when communication between us comes to nearly a bare minimum, and there will be no vacations for him as well.

Should i break up with him now itself, or should i be with him, knowing that there might come a day when we both might not want to be together because of the long distance and communication gap anymore?

I don't understand the quandary? He flat out told you not to wait around. I hope you are very young because it is very practical, straight forward and unselfish of him to not have you grasping the wind. Look, I am assuming you are young. Things aren't always as closed as you may think they are and with that being said, no need to hold on. If he's back in your country and single when he's had his Dubai run, if your relationship was solid maybe he'll reconsider. However, do not wait on him at all.

Break it off now, so you can cope and deal with the loss and let him go on his way. If it pains you too much, don't even contact him while he's away and completely close this chapter. Finish school, work on your career, etc. When you're ready start dating again. You may or may not cross paths again in the future but as for now, it's abundantly clear it's time to move on.

End the relationship with him, you don't really want to wait around for 3 years and he even said it wasn't possible for you to be near him as he is too busy and moving, personally I find that a bit stange.

He obviously isn't so sure that he really wants to be with you or he wouldn't be making these choices and he wouldn't have said not to wait for me.

Therefore if you try to cling to him, or even try to "make it work" he will lose all respect for you and definitely will not want to be with you anymore.

I would end the relationship, either it will be over for good or he will realise he didn't want to lose you and possibly try to get back with you.

Edited by cm00