Meeting my long distance boyfriend for the first time

Ok, so I've been with my boyfriend for 16 months now and next month (only 19 day away!!) I finally get to meet him for the first time :D

I'm so in love with him - he's sweet, caring, considerate and everything I've ever wanted in a partner... We've seen each other at our best and at our worst and he really is my best friend ^_^

I am superrrrrrrr nervous about meeting him though... like excited but also very nervous because I'm a total worrier. I know we'll be fine though because we're super close and totally amazing together :D

So I guess the question that I have is has anyone else experienced meeting their long distance partner and if so, how did it go? I love hearing about other people's experiences because it eases my nerves.

And please no haters. I really don't need to be told I'm being stupid meeting someone I don't know or that it's not a real relationship because we've never met... it's real to us and that's all that matters :D Also, unless you've actually been in the same situation, it's impossible to understand ;)

Hi there,

I can give you my perspective as a guy. I talked to my LDR GF for about a year before we met, though it only got serious after 6 months.

When we had our first problem in the RS (her slipping away without telling me why or anything) I knew we had to meet up otherwise this would lead nowhere. So I talked to her and she tentatively agreed. I remember this vividly. She was just like 'ok, sure'. I expected her to either back out (bc she was worried that her family wouldn't approve) or to be very excited. As the date came closer she got more and more excited. Maybe she didn't believe I'd really follow through :).

Anyway, the day came, I left home and flew there, she came and picked me up with a relative (she couldn't drive in that country). It was very funny and exciting we hit it off in person immediately, she held my hand all the time though her relative wasn't really up to date about us. I guess she just didn't care at this point anymore hiding anything and the family reacted positively. So my advice, just play it cool, if there are any other people involved. It also depends on your ages as to how much you have to respect other people's feelings about your RS.

Another thing, pictures and webcam are one thing. People always look a little different with the full resolution of the human eye and in almost permanent whole body shots ;) . But that was cool too and after a short while, I'd say 3-4 hours all nervousness from my side was gone, and I'd assume from her side too.

Good luck and have fun :)

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle

I met my man online, on another forum actually. He contacted and friended me and we immediately hit it off. We chatted pretty much daily for 5 months and used to have marathon phone conversations that literally lasted up to 24 hours some nights and weekends! I can't tell you how many times I went into work the next day not having slept at all that night :D

Anyways, after months of talking and Skyping we decided to meet in real life and see if what we had online was as amazing in real life. By this point, we had already fallen in love or at least that's what it felt like and we were desperate to meet face-to-face and see what would happen. We talked at great length about our coming together and all the possible outcomes both good and not so good.

When his arrival day came, I had to pick him up at the airport. My nerves were getting the better of me. Both excitement and fear and all the "what if's" started to run through my head. I had NEVER done anything like this before but, despite some initial reservations that are normal, deep in my gut I knew this was going to be good.

Of course, like any girlie girl meeting a man for the first time, I must have changed outfits a hundred times, lol. My stomach went from knots to butterflies over and over again. I couldn't wait for the anticipation to be over.

Once I arrived and sat in the waiting area, my man texted me one last time letting me know that the plane touched down and that he couldn't wait to see me.

He came around the corner and we locked eyes and it was love at first sight all over again.

Of course, it was a tad awkward at first just trying to navigate the airport and settle into the idea of finally being in front of each other. Once we got in the car and made the journey home, the closer we got to my house, our connection that was undeniable all along sparked once again as soon as we both relaxed a bit and I knew this was going to be amazing.

And it was. It was better than we could have ever imagined and I had to pinch myself several times during his visit to make sure it was real. We were inseparable and we couldn't keep our hands off of each other or stop smiling and laughing and we'd talk for hours and made love for many more. I don't think we left the bedroom let alone my home for the first 3 days :D

Anyways, it couldn't have been more perfect. We are about 11 hours apart with an international border between us so coming together, although not as challenging as couples who live on different continents or time zones, it requires some pre-planning and coordination. We made a promise to each other that we wouldn't go more than 2 months at at time without seeing each other and it's worked out great thus far.

We have talked about the future at great length as well. Since I am unable to pick up and move anywhere for at least the next 3-4 years when my kids finish high school, he is planning to move closer to me before the year is up.

It's not lost on us that coming closer together and spending much more time together will in fact change our relationship, for better or maybe even for worse. We don't know for sure but we're very willing to take the next step and do whatever it takes to make it work.

Anything is possible if you want it badly enough.

Good luck!

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 4

Our original dinner only plans turned into an 8 hour dinner, movie and hangout after. When you have that kind of connection it always turns out well. Nothing to worry about. ;) Enjoy every moment Buhita. Probably one of the best times of your life coming up.

• Like 3

My current boyfriend initially lived 250 km from me. We chatted for 2 years and on New Years he came home (54 km from me) and invited me to his place. Since then, we are in a relationship. For 3 months, we wereLDR, now he lives 1 hour from me, and we meet every week 1-2 times and chat daily.

It was hard at the beginning but now I got comfortable. :)

Yesterday while I was driving to Toplita to visit his mother at the hospital, I have met accidentaly with a man who has a Russian wife and waiting for their first kid. He told me they have been in LDR for 3 years in which they have met 2 times live. And this february they have married. :) So if both of you put effort into the relationship nothing can break it. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

thanks for the input guys :) it was nice to read a few stories ^_^

We're both 23 btw and live over 10,000 miles away from each other but i just can't wait to close that distance in 9 days!

I'm excited :D

Enjoy, and try not to have too rigid an idea/expectation in your head. :) If you've connected well online (have you Skyped at least?) chances are you'll connect IRL as well, but he may not be exactly what you've imagined.

So go with an open mind, and remember, he's probably as nervous as you are. ;)

• Like 1

I'm not being a "hater", but I have a couple of safety questions: it sounds pretty clear that you are traveling to another country, is that correct? Do your family or trusted friends know about your travel plans, exactly why you are going, and what you are doing? Do you have any friends, family, or any kind of trusted associates at the other end (near your boyfriend) who will be near the area when you arrive?

These questions are coming from my 'father instincts'...

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm not being a "hater", but I have a couple of safety questions: it sounds pretty clear that you are traveling to another country, is that correct? Do your family or trusted friends know about your travel plans, exactly why you are going, and what you are doing? Do you have any friends, family, or any kind of trusted associates at the other end (near your boyfriend) who will be near the area when you arrive?

These questions are coming from my 'father instincts'...

Hi Trimmer ^_^

Yes i understand the concern and I don't mind the question at all :)

Everyone close to me knows about my plans and they're all very supportive about it. They've spoken to him on skype multiple times and consider him a friend. They all also have his contact details and the contact details of the people who are closest to him (his mother and sister) should they need them.

I have a few family members who live about 20minutes away from where I'm staying. Although I'm not very close with these family members, having not grown up around them, I have stayed with them in the past and i know they'd help me if i needed it.

Thanks for the fatherly concern :)

Hi Trimmer ^_^

Yes i understand the concern and I don't mind the question at all :)

Everyone close to me knows about my plans and they're all very supportive about it. They've spoken to him on skype multiple times and consider him a friend. They all also have his contact details and the contact details of the people who are closest to him (his mother and sister) should they need them.

I have a few family members who live about 20minutes away from where I'm staying. Although I'm not very close with these family members, having not grown up around them, I have stayed with them in the past and i know they'd help me if i needed it.

Thanks for the fatherly concern :)

OK, that's reassuring... Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Safety first.

Also since you consider him your BF & that you have been together for 16 months (both concepts I disagree with but I'm trying to positive here) what are your sexual expectations? Are you two on the same page?

Things can go sideways if one of you is expecting to fall into the nearest bed & the other is expecting something else.

Be careful.

• Like 1
  • Author
Safety first.

Also since you consider him your BF & that you have been together for 16 months (both concepts I disagree with but I'm trying to positive here) what are your sexual expectations? Are you two on the same page?

Things can go sideways if one of you is expecting to fall into the nearest bed & the other is expecting something else.

Be careful.

We've talked about all of that and we're on the same page that we're not forcing anything and just letting it progress slowly. We want to get used to being around each other first and solidifying our emotional connection before we jump into anything physical.

• Like 1
NightandDay

This question makes me smile so bad...

I met my LDR for the first time in May and I was absouletly terrified, I live in the Uk and he lives in the USA - I can't tell you how many times I thought about cancelling my flight or just not turning up, but I did and from the moment I met him I knew 100% that I'd made the right decision... I flew home 6 wks ago and now have to wait 13wks until I fly out there again but I can't wait to feel excited this time around - even if we never hit it off in real life I am so proud of myself that I went through it and took that chance... Good luck to you both x

• Like 1
HeavenOrHell

You won't know for sure you're in love until you meet, with my ex partner we felt we had chemistry before we met but we didn't want to put too many expectations on how things would go, but we were lucky and the chemistry was stronger in real life than before we imagined.

You've not really seen each other at your worst and best until you are actually with them.

Me and my ex were nervous about meeting as we wanted it to go well, we were very close before we met. We were also excited and really looking forward to it.

We met after 4 months of messaging, phone calls and skyping.

It went amazingly well for us, it was special and we were both relieved and happy.

We were together for 4 years and met about every 6-8 weeks.

Ok, so I've been with my boyfriend for 16 months now and next month (only 19 day away!!) I finally get to meet him for the first time :D

I'm so in love with him - he's sweet, caring, considerate and everything I've ever wanted in a partner... We've seen each other at our best and at our worst and he really is my best friend ^_^

I am superrrrrrrr nervous about meeting him though... like excited but also very nervous because I'm a total worrier. I know we'll be fine though because we're super close and totally amazing together :D

So I guess the question that I have is has anyone else experienced meeting their long distance partner and if so, how did it go? I love hearing about other people's experiences because it eases my nerves.

And please no haters. I really don't need to be told I'm being stupid meeting someone I don't know or that it's not a real relationship because we've never met... it's real to us and that's all that matters :D Also, unless you've actually been in the same situation, it's impossible to understand ;)

• Like 1
We've talked about all of that and we're on the same page that we're not forcing anything and just letting it progress slowly. We want to get used to being around each other first and solidifying our emotional connection before we jump into anything physical.

Sounds promising. :)

Update us, okay??