What makes a LDR work?

Was thinking of it, what makes a long distance relationship work out and ultimately proceed into closing the distance?:love:

Tell me about yours :D

*just think its an overweight of failing ldr threads here*

Communication, trust, the ability to breech the distace as often as possible & a meaningful plan to end it altogether.

I dated a guy for about a year. He moved from the east coast of the USA to the west coast, 3,000 miles. I was in grad school & couldn't follow.

This was before cell phones & the internet. We wrote letters every day & called once per week. Long distance calls were expensive.

We got to see each other every 3 months. The plan was I'd move there when school was over.

We also had a "thing" where if we did something out of the ordinary, we'd send the other a post card & get them a cheap souvenier. For example, he lived near Disneyland. If he went I got a post card & a pencil or shot glass. . .just a token to feel like I was part of the trip.

Was thinking of it, what makes a long distance relationship work out and ultimately proceed into closing the distance?:love:

A realist answer? The ability to fulfill the immigration policies of either person's country in order to reunite, and the ability to travel to see each other prior to that. Everything else (communication, trust, etc) is equally important to non-LDRs. These two are the challenges that separate LDRs from the rest.

Tell me about yours.

I was in a LDR for 2 years before we reunited. Definitely not the best time of my life. The subsequent 4 years that we had together (and the prospect of many more to come) made the investment more than worth it though.

• Like 3

1. Maturity

2. A PLAN that works for both. A plan that includes the possibility if things do not work out.

3. Communication, of course.

4. Part of #2, but an end to the LDR that culminates into greater, meaningful commitment

5. Faith and encouragement that it will work. Optimism and sacrifice.

• Like 2
what makes a long distance relationship work out and ultimately proceed into closing the distance?

1) Time apart (the shorter, the easier to keep the relationship together)

2) How strong you both believe in the relationship (the stronger, the better, and it takes two)

3) The ability to overcome any issue you meet on your path

4) Being on the same page (if goals are different, you just grow apart, that includes where to live when closing the distance)

5) Patience (when one of the two or both are discouraged)

I have points 2 to 5, not sure about #1, as we're not closing the distance anytime soon. So it greatly depends on #2 for it to work long-term, and 3 to 5 to support it along the way.

I didn't mention love and attraction, because those are indispensable.

HeavenOrHell

Communication-enough communication for both of you, and to communicate honestly when there are problems.

Express how you feel.

Trust.

Meeting up as often as you can.

Finding ways to stay close and keep your bond.

A mutual plan to end the distance.

I am in a 4 year LDR with no end in sight with someone who doesn't express himself, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 1