Meeting him for the first time....

Nervous-wreck

I've been friends with this guy online for about 2 years. A few months ago, the guy confessed his feelings for me, and I realized I felt the same way about him. I had thought about him a few times before but never gave it much thought because I didn't think it'd be possible, him being on the other side of the world. For the first month, we just chatted a lot online. I've never been so expressive about my feelings with anyone before. I truly gave it my all. For the last 2 months, we've been talking on the phone every single day...at least 2 or 3 times a day. It's like we've become part of each others' lives even without having met each other.

Now, he's finally coming 10,000km to meet me next month. Although, I feel really comfortable with him and I'm dying to meet him, I'm a nervous-wreck at the mere thought of being a touch away from him (if that makes sense). I'm a little worried about how it would be meeting him. I'm worried whether things will still be the same once we've met.

Would anyone like to share their experience? Any advice or tips?

*nervous-wreck*

Well not my story but my best friends.

They had an online relationship going for about 6 months before she flew up here to meet him. Very awkward, both very nervous, but something they both also realized they were commited to making work. That was about 5 years ago now. He's since moved out there about 3 years ago, and they just got married last September. So while it can be scary, and you need to realize that it may or may not work out quite as you hoped, it is possible, and sometimes there is happily ever after. Good Luck

Toolcutie

Oh god, I remember it well. I was a complete wreck before I met up with my man, who I'd sort of met once as friends, but then we got chatting more and more online (and a bit more), and when we eventually met up again, it was like the first time of meeting all over again and it was really nerve racking.

Just go with the flow. Act naturally; remember all that you've talked about before online, you have two years of history behind you now.

Good luck and I hope it all works out well.

I've done it several times. I met my current boyfriend online (we've known each other online for almost eight years now, and in person for over four years), but I had several similar experiences before that that didn't work at all. People are often different in person than they are on the phone or online, so be prepared for some surprises, but that doesn't mean that it can't work out.

I've had very different experiences meeting online people. Some are very different from what you expect, even if you've been communicating a long time. Others are exactly the people they seem online. You won't know until you spend time with him but it might turn out great. I hope it does! :)

• 3 weeks later...
happily_divorseing

well after talking to my b/f online...since nov. of 2003. we finally met in march of 2004. the very thought of it was nerve raking.when the time came , to drive down there..(800 miles). u can amagine i was a nervous wreck also..being in a different city and state... and driving for 12-13 hours, it was a crazy feeling.. but i must tell you.. it was the best thing i could have done.. he is the greatest.. we talk now on the phone each and every day..sometime a couple times a day.. i plan to move down there in june of 2005.. i cant wait.... i hope every things turns out great for you, keep us posted... :D

Ah!!!! Where do I begin?? I met him! And I can't even begin to tell you guys how wonderful it was. He was here for 7 days, and I just saw him off last night. :(

On his way here, he kept calling me to update about his whereabouts. It was a 50+ hour long journey with all the transits. It hadn't sunk in for either of us even while we were talking about it. I went to receive him at the airport and ended up calling my friend while waiting for him to come out. That's the first time I got really nervous (while talking to my friend). I saw him from the baggage claim area trying to peak outside, and I actually changed my seat so he couldn't see me directly. My heart was racing like anything. Then I saw him coming out and because I was hidden behind a pillar, he started walking the other way. I got up and almost ran behind him. Just as soon as I was about to touch his backpack to get his attention, he turned around and we just froze and stared at each other for a few seconds, not saying anything. And to my surprise, I realized I was as calm as anything! We just started talking as if we'd known each other all our lives. I wanted to drop him off at his hotel cuz he was really tired, but he wouldn't let me go. So we ended up driving around while he told me the details of his trip here. I'm not even sure if I was listening to him properly cuz all I could think was "I can't believe he's here."

We spent an average of 12-13 hours with each other for the remaining 7 days. We barely slept a few hours each night cuz we'd be on the phone. :D There was absolutely NOTHING weird about meeting him for the first time. We both reached the conclusion that the only weird thing was the fact that there was NOTHING weird. We were exactly the same with each as we had been online and on the phone... laughing, joking around, talking endlessly. We've always been really silly with each other. He got me all these silly little things that we used to talk about or liked (ie. donkey from shrek). It was so sweet. :-)

The last week or so has been like a dream...just so very wonderful. I've had the hugest grin on my face all these days. He spent an entire day with my family. And visited almost everyday before I'd drop him off at his hotel. He's the sweetest guy! I've never in my life felt so strongly about anyone, and I don't think I can ever remember feeling so special and loved by anyone. I felt so "at home" with him. He kept saying "don't you see how right we are?" I could just go on and on about all the details. ;-)

At the airport, I parked the car and just looked at him with a sad smile. I hate saying goodbyes. As I was trying to find the words (apart from the "I'll miss you's" we'd been saying in the last 2 days), he reached in his bag and pulled something out. It was a RING!!!!!!! He told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.

So guys.....I'm ENGAGED! In the last 3 days, every few minutes, he'd mention wanting to take me with him. I told him he was nuts. haha! So at the airport when he slipped on the ring, he goes "I was serious... I want to marry you and take you with me." He was even ready to buy me a ticket right then and there. :D He's planning to come back in a few months...and if all goes well, we'll be getting married. :)

*sigh*

Femme-in-love

*sigh*

• Like 1
happily_divorseing
Originally posted by femme

Ah!!!! Where do I begin?? I met him! And I can't even begin to tell you guys how wonderful it was. He was here for 7 days, and I just saw him off last night. :(

On his way here, he kept calling me to update about his whereabouts. It was a 50+ hour long journey with all the transits. It hadn't sunk in for either of us even while we were talking about it. I went to receive him at the airport and ended up calling my friend while waiting for him to come out. That's the first time I got really nervous (while talking to my friend). I saw him from the baggage claim area trying to peak outside, and I actually changed my seat so he couldn't see me directly. My heart was racing like anything. Then I saw him coming out and because I was hidden behind a pillar, he started walking the other way. I got up and almost ran behind him. Just as soon as I was about to touch his backpack to get his attention, he turned around and we just froze and stared at each other for a few seconds, not saying anything. And to my surprise, I realized I was as calm as anything! We just started talking as if we'd known each other all our lives. I wanted to drop him off at his hotel cuz he was really tired, but he wouldn't let me go. So we ended up driving around while he told me the details of his trip here. I'm not even sure if I was listening to him properly cuz all I could think was "I can't believe he's here."

We spent an average of 12-13 hours with each other for the remaining 7 days. We barely slept a few hours each night cuz we'd be on the phone. :D There was absolutely NOTHING weird about meeting him for the first time. We both reached the conclusion that the only weird thing was the fact that there was NOTHING weird. We were exactly the same with each as we had been online and on the phone... laughing, joking around, talking endlessly. We've always been really silly with each other. He got me all these silly little things that we used to talk about or liked (ie. donkey from shrek). It was so sweet. :-)

The last week or so has been like a dream...just so very wonderful. I've had the hugest grin on my face all these days. He spent an entire day with my family. And visited almost everyday before I'd drop him off at his hotel. He's the sweetest guy! I've never in my life felt so strongly about anyone, and I don't think I can ever remember feeling so special and loved by anyone. I felt so "at home" with him. He kept saying "don't you see how right we are?" I could just go on and on about all the details. ;-)

At the airport, I parked the car and just looked at him with a sad smile. I hate saying goodbyes. As I was trying to find the words (apart from the "I'll miss you's" we'd been saying in the last 2 days), he reached in his bag and pulled something out. It was a RING!!!!!!! He told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.

So guys.....I'm ENGAGED! In the last 3 days, every few minutes, he'd mention wanting to take me with him. I told him he was nuts. haha! So at the airport when he slipped on the ring, he goes "I was serious... I want to marry you and take you with me." He was even ready to buy me a ticket right then and there. :D He's planning to come back in a few months...and if all goes well, we'll be getting married. :)

*sigh*

Femme-in-love

*sigh*

OMG!!!!!!! you gave me shivers and got me all teary eyed.. i am so happy for you... that reminds me of when i first met my b/f.. it was the greatest week out of my whole life.. congradulations on the engagement.. i hope it goes well for you.. you seem so happy now.. it's been about a month and a half since i seen my b/f...and i miss him so .. but i will be leaveing tuesday to go and see him for a week..i cant wait...it's a 800 mile drive one way...but god damn is he worth it..