Falling for best friend... long distance

Hi, this is my first post. I’m having mixed/confused feelings about an online friend. I’ve met him more than a year ago online and we’ve started becoming very good friends. We chat through msn almost everyday. Through the chats, I found out a lot of stuff about him, even more so than someone I would talk to face-to-face. The distance (I’m in the US and he’s in Hong Kong) didn’t matter. I’ve also started to think of him as my best friend. However, recently he told me that he has some sort of feelings toward another online friend (which I also know and talk to) who lives in HK. They have met each other and went to the movies together one time. And I find myself really jealous. I’ve tried to keep my feelings hidden, not wanting to harm the friendship we have, but it’s hurting too much. I think I’m falling in love with him. The logical side of me tells me that a relationship with him would never work, considering the distance, and that he likes another person. I’ve told him before that I’m jealous of him and that other girl, but he didn’t seem to have any reaction to that. Now, every time I read his blog and it mentions the other girl, I feel so sad. I dunno what to do… to remain friends (and suffering on the inside), to break it up (I’ve tried not going online for a week and I find myself missing him so much), or to tell him my feelings (knowing that I’ll probably get a rejection). Any advice on this? (Btw, I’m in my twenties, have a full time job. He’s 20 and in college. She’s still in high school I think, age 15. )

Enjoy your friend and how it makes you feel. It would be great if you two could meet and find out more about each other in person. Honk Kong is far! He has someone he is checking out and is being honest with you. Guard yourself and protect your emotional investment. Pay attention to these indicators. Do not fork out a loan to a creditor that can not pay back unless you are 100% sure. Long distance is difficult.

• Author

thanks for ur reply, wildturkey :)

I know that it's probably not meant to be. I enjoy his friendship but lately it's hard to talk to him online. I get sad and depressed and jealous, knowing that he likes this other girl. It hurts to remain friends, and I'll definitely miss him if I break all ties with him... I'm stuck :S

This is some advise someone told me. "cut your loses and move on". You are stuck because your emotions are on the way. Entertain yourself and focus in you. His loss.