Telling Parents About LDR?

So I have been dating this girl from Philippines for over 3 months now (I'm from UK).. we met on Facebook and have been together ever since. We have had our breakups and arguments but no matter what we always come back to each other... Anyway our relationship is great atm and we both love each other very much.

So I'm wondering if I should tell my parents, I really want to tell them but I'm afraid they won't understand.. As they are not familiar with social networking and would probably think she is a catfish or a fake account etc... Even though I have seen her on Skype and that we talk on the phone often.

... I'm 19 years old so I don't really need there approval but It's been 3 months and I'm afraid the longer I leave it the harder it will be to tell them as I eventually want to visit my gf in Philippines and I don't think I can do it anytime soon without some financial support from them..

I'm too shy to just come out and tell them... So I need some advice or a way to make it easier to tell them. The way I feel now all I need is my mum to ask about my lovelife and I think I could tell her... But she doesn't hahaha :o

Thanks.

Right now it is just a fantasy stage. Until you are able to go to the Philippines or a third country which allows Pinoys to enter and meet on your own there is little to tell your parents.

Unless you are not working/failing school because your sleep schedules are mixed up attempting to chat with someone on the opposite side of the globe.

Sorry to say but you're wasting your time. You say you really don't need your parent's approval but then you want to at some point ask them for financial support to visit her :o Ummm, if you're going to act like a big boy then you should pay like a big boy. But again, you're young, no need to start making plans with someone across the country. And I've heard too many negative things about Filipinas trying to get naive men as yourself to sponsor them. Good luck with that.

This is one of those cases where maybe it's better if she comes to you for several reasons.

Wait until the new year before telling your parents. Too many break ups and arguments are not good, and you're both young, so it can only get worse as you both grow up. Maybe you won't make it till 2014.

If she really seems to be good for you, you will know. But don't fool yourself. If her family is poor, she will need to support them long-term, even and especially if she leaves the country. She might need to send them money every month, whether she works or not...

However it is difficult for Filipinos to get visas of any kind for fear they will go TNT and enter the undocumented labor force. I guess that is part of the cost of being from a land where about 10% of the adult population has gone overseas for work at some point in their life.

I don't see any reason why you should tell your parents just yet. You have just known her, on the internet, for 3 months. Apart from that,within those 3 months, you already have breakups and arguments?

Just give it few more months before visiting her, and while at that, save the money that you need. You don't want to be depending on your parents for financial support when it comes to your love life.

its cheap to travel to philipines. But 3 months is too damn short for it. You dont know the lands, the people or anything you getting yourself into. Even you are a boy, easier to travel alone than a girl

but however, there still alot of things to think about

The currency of philipines and UK has alot of difference. The uk's much more higher for sure

Im in same area ( ASEAN) with the philipines. My friend who went there and have 10 days vacation (food,hotel play around etc) cost him around 500$ for 10 days vacation included plan tickets ( he booked for awhile online before going, so its cheap)

But however since we dont need visa to travel to philipines so its kinda a big advantage

Note: my friend just a backpacker

Edited by emi

I don't think it's necessary to tell your parents. However you can tell them you met a girl online and you think of her as a friend... later a special friend and later whenever any one visit the other you just say "I kinda like her... let's see what happens"...