keeping love alive in LDR?

satelliteskin

Hi there, I am in need of some advice/encouragement as I've been very confused lately.

My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over a year and a half, we are both 19 and freshmen in college. We have had our fair share of highs and lows but through them all I have never questioned my desire to be with him. For the past ~8 months we have been in a LDR due to college. We used to experience a lot of tumult but for the past 3-ish months, things have been completely peaceful between us. Albeit, a seed of doubt has wormed its way into my brain recently. Now that the butterflies-in-my-tummy feeling has for the most part faded, I'm left wondering about many things. Do I want to be with him? Do I still love him? Am I as capable of such a commitment as I thought I was?? I don't want "no" to be the answer of any of these questions!! I feel deeply emotionally connected to my boyfriend. He is my best friend and confidant. I don't want to be single or with anybody else!!

I think I'm just looking for reassurance here... this is my first long-term relationship as well as my first LDR. Am I just getting used to this new stage of my relationship that comes after infatuation? We are often far apart so it makes it difficult to discern whether my feelings of doubt have merit or if they are merely the product of being apart during this transition. I feel very discouraged and don't want our relationship to end! ANY thoughts/advice/encouragement would be appreciated!!!

Thanks a ton,

Sara

Edited by satelliteskin
the butterflies-in-my-tummy feeling has for the most part faded
That's not a good sign. I mean, it's not that you're living with him or see him every day. So when he calls or you meet up with him, you should feel something special. I'm older than you are, so I know what I'm talking about. It's the feeling of when you're in love. So it's just natural that you've been wondering if you still love him. Doubts are natural. Being physically separated can bring a lot of stress and second thoughts. You're just at the beginning of a journey, you need to see for yourself, within you, if you want to hop on a different train or keep traveling on the same one. No one has a crystal ball and tell you if he is the right one. But your feelings are good indicators. Don't hide them to yourself for fear of losing him and string him along if/when you find out you don't love him like you used to, that means no more passion, etc.

You're both very young, and love at that stage should let you feel head over heels for each other.