Worth it if there's no light at the end of the tunnel?

confusedkla

I moved to Australia on a one year visa and met the most wonderful man I've ever known about three months ago. Things moved quickly and easily and this is the most normal, functional, equal relationship I've ever been in. Here's the problem: he got the opportunity about two months in to follow his dream of going to work in the mines on a four week out-five day in FIFO contract. He has no idea how long he'll be there because it's based on work demand, and I've now found myself in a long distance relationship with someone I don't even know if I will be able to have a future with anyway due to our different citizenships. I have to leave the country in 7 months unless I get sponsored through a job, and so logically does it make any sense to be doing a long distance relationship that's going to end in heartbreak anyway? I'm falling so hard for him, but I don't know if I should keep going on the chance I'll find a way to get sponsored, or take less caution and not worry about the future yet....?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

HeavenOrHell

I have no plans to live closer to my partner, and even though it's hard at times, and we've ended it briefly or come close to ending it it's still worth it, neither of us want to walk away. Been together 3 years, met many times, love the time we spend together and the closeness we have and the daily contact.

But I don't think many couples stay together if they've no plans to move closer.

It depends if it's enough for you, living in the here and now, making the most of what you have, or whether you'll always be wanting more.

You don't know what the future might bring anyway, you might find a way to be together.

I moved to Australia on a one year visa and met the most wonderful man I've ever known about three months ago. Things moved quickly and easily and this is the most normal, functional, equal relationship I've ever been in. Here's the problem: he got the opportunity about two months in to follow his dream of going to work in the mines on a four week out-five day in FIFO contract. He has no idea how long he'll be there because it's based on work demand, and I've now found myself in a long distance relationship with someone I don't even know if I will be able to have a future with anyway due to our different citizenships. I have to leave the country in 7 months unless I get sponsored through a job, and so logically does it make any sense to be doing a long distance relationship that's going to end in heartbreak anyway? I'm falling so hard for him, but I don't know if I should keep going on the chance I'll find a way to get sponsored, or take less caution and not worry about the future yet....?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

• Like 1