My first love is going away.....

Hello Everyone,

I need some help getting through this. My boyfriend of 4 years is in themilitary and is currently stationed in Missouri, which is where I live. On July 15, 2013 (my birthday to make matters worse) he will have to report to Fort Hood, Texas. He tells me that he will be there at least 2 years. He is my first love and I know it will be hard not having him around. I have dealt with him leaving to go out of town for training exercises, but the longest he was away was 3 to 4 weeks. I know two years will feel like an eternity and just thinking about it makes me very emotional. Some of you may be wondering why I do not just go with him and there are several reasons why I’m not. I have a great job/career, I'm in graduate school and the biggest reason is that I am not "ready" to move and he knows this. I am very close to my family and I don't know if I would ever be ready to move. I tend to over think a lot of things in my life because of the fear of making the wrong decision and I don't know if this is one of those times where I am letting fear win. I just have all these thoughts that if I do go with him I would have a hard time finding a job, I would feel alone, I would have a hard time adjusting and not really be happy in this "new place". The plan is for me to fly out to see him once a month and of course we can Skype, so I am trying to stay positive and I hope we will be able to keep this connection that we have. If anyone has any advice/suggestions I'm open to hearing it.

Thank you.

Hi, Welcome to LS!

Two years is a very long time, but I am sure both of you can figure out something that will work for you. A visit every month sounds like a good idea. It will be hard but if both of yo commit to making the relationship work, it will work. You and your SO will miss each other very much but the visit will be worth it. Make the most out of every visit.

You and him both will need a little adjusting to life far from each other but you must make sure to always communicate with each other. Communication and trust is very important in an LDR.

You are wise to not just leave you whole life behind to follow him. If you do that, you will not be happy and you will resent your SO for moving away. be sure to talk about your future plans though so you know what to expect. Cheer up! Before you know it, two years will pass!

Good Luck!