This may sound like a dumb question, but I honestly need perspective. Does the added stress of a ldr manifest itself in other ways? I mean, if we are arguing about something unrelated, can the hidden stress from the distance cause the argument to be more intense or frequent ?

Not in my opinion, but my experience is probably not typical. In a year and a half we never really argued. We discussed compatibility issues but weren't ever argumentative. In fact, we often played a little game where we'd search for something to disagree about... the issue that came up often was that she prefers cheese to go on the pizza last and I think it should go on after the sauce.

I think so. I think some people can start to feel like its the other person's fault that the relationship is long distance and the frustration of it can probably cause people to act irrational.

It makes sense. People act out when they don't get what they want. Maybe its passive aggression? If the person has matured enough to be able to recognized where those feelings are coming from then they can deal with them better but depending on how emotionally developed someone is, I think its is possible for this to happen.