Anyone ever go through a deployment?

I've been really worried about my best friend.Her husband of two months just left on deployment to Iraq. Has anyone ever been through that before? How in the world could you make a relationship last like that? I couldn't do it if it was me in the situation. Anyone with comments?

You couldn't do it because you aren't ready to make a committment to someone. But this couple got married because they were ready, hopefully.

These things happen everyday. What is really sad are those men who leave pregnant wives behind and then get killed in battle. Those are the gut wrenching stories that tear me up. Your friends will be just fine if their relationship was strong to begin with.

War is hell!!! And so is George W. Bush.

I have quite a few deployments under my belt and I must say that relationships can work out, as long as both parties are willing.

In many military oriented relationships, the woman usually is the one who cheats. The only way we'd cheat, is if we turned homosexual! :sick::laugh:

~V

If someone chooses to marry someone in the military, war or not, deployments are part of the job description. They can last for any number of months. In addition to that, there are 'training and exercises' which can last from 2-6 weeks. People in the military spend a great time away from their homes and families. It comes with the territory.

If someone is not willing to accept and support their spouse through this lifestyle, they shouldn't marry them. Viv is right....a whole bunch of military wives DO screw around. I find it disgusting!!!!

With email, IM's, web cams, phones and 'leaves'....you can stay in touch fairly well. It really isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it.

During a war though when communications can be curbed for any number of reasons, usually a lack of satellite being available for personal use, it can be a long and lonely wait!!!!!!

Support your friend through this. She'll need someone to hang around with and cry to when she's worried.